• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
bone's top-tier singles are WAY outta epmd's league.
the 2nd-tier singles would spark a better debate.

east 1999
ressurrection(paper paper)
buddah lovahz
look into my eyez

and you can throw in:
BNK
body rott
"thug luv" was an unofficial single. take that one how you want.

:whistle:
and notice, some of their biggest hits werent included in either tier.
These are the Bone songs you were putting up against the list of EPMD songs I listed...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The question is which song on the list isn't a general consensus classic.

most of those joints werent big enough to use the term "general consensus classic" to begin with.

thats why i said they match up better with the 2nd string bone singles.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:snoop:
Which ones though?

you gots to chill
strictly business
so what you sayin
crossover

thats their general consensus according to the grounds that you were trying to base bone's singles on........hell, with that said, i might have to just shorten this list to "you gots to chill" & "crossover".

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
you gots to chill
strictly business
so what you sayin
crossover

thats their general consensus according to the grounds that you were trying to base bone's singles on........hell, with that said, i might have to just shorten this list to "you gots to chill" & "crossover".
I honestly don't remember the grounds I was using and don't feel like going back through the thread to find it.
EPMD's first three albums were before my time - before your time too.
In 92 I can tell you Crossover and Headbanger were big records.
The passage of time hasn't been kind to Bone. EPMD is still revered as a legendary group. Their singles ( the ones I listed) are still revered as all time greats.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Bone Thugz are still revered as a legendary group too, infact more than EPMD overall. Bone have singles and songs bigger than ANY EPMD record in history.
Bone fans can't, on the one hand, say that Bone has been written out of the history books, and on the other hand, claim that their legacy has endured with respect to individual songs.
And if, by bigger, you mean more sales, then yes of course. If by bigger, you mean the songs have a more enduring legacy - then no.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bone fans can't, on the one hand, say that Bone has been written out of the history books, and on the other hand, claim that their legacy has endured with respect to individual songs.
And if, by bigger, you mean more sales, then yes of course. If by bigger, you mean the songs have a more enduring legacy - then no.

I can't speak for what anybody else said just myself. What I mean is Bone are far more popular and bigger in Hip Hop. Worldwide people love and fukk with Bone much more. Crossroads is bigger than any EPMD record. I don't like getting into these things cause I respect EPMD too lol, so I don't want it to come across as dissing them, cause that's not the intention but also have to put that point across about Bone cause Bone are HUGE. They are 1 of the biggest Hip Hop groups of all time, they have a huge following. EPMD are well respected and they have their place in history, Headbanger for instance is a historical joint, and they will be talked about forever too, but Bone were so much bigger on a global scale, they were and are loved even more. Bone have records that are huge too. In terms of a more enduring legacy yes I think Bone have endured more, Crossroads still gets more historical significance and love that any EPMD song to me. I often see it ranked among the great Hip Hop songs. Obviously mean the remix version, but they had a lot of other joints too. We all know Notorious Thugz and Thug Luv have a massive significance in terms of how many people love and talk about those joints, they worked with 2 of the biggest and most legendary artists ever on them joints and more than held their own. They have 1st Of The Month which is talked about, they even had a come back relatively recently and dropped a big single. Which further increased their legacy and opened up a new audience to them. Even Game redid 1 of their songs not that long ago and had them in the remix. Bone are huge, worked with everyone from Pun, Fat Joe, Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Eazy etc. Huge group.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I can't speak for what anybody else said just myself. What I mean is Bone are far more popular and bigger in Hip Hop. Worldwide people love and fukk with Bone much more. Crossroads is bigger than any EPMD record. I don't like getting into these things cause I respect EPMD too lol, so I don't want it to come across as dissing them, cause that's not the intention but also have to put that point across about Bone cause Bone are HUGE. They are 1 of the biggest Hip Hop groups of all time, they have a huge following. EPMD are well respected and they have their place in history, Headbanger for instance is a historical joint, and they will be talked about forever too, but Bone were so much bigger on a global scale, they were and are loved even more. Bone have records that are huge too. In terms of a more enduring legacy yes I think Bone have endured more, Crossroads still gets more historical significance and love that any EPMD song to me. I often see it ranked among the great Hip Hop songs. Obviously mean the remix version, but they had a lot of other joints too. We all know Notorious Thugz and Thug Luv have a massive significance in terms of how many people love and talk about those joints, they worked with 2 of the biggest and most legendary artists ever on them joints and more than held their own. They have 1st Of The Month which is talked about, they even had a come back relatively recently and dropped a big single. Which further increased their legacy and opened up a new audience to them. Even Game redid 1 of their songs not that long ago and had them in the remix. Bone are huge, worked with everyone from Pun, Fat Joe, Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Eazy etc. Huge group.
Crossroads is definitely going down as an all-time classic. The remix of course. First of the Month and Thuggish Ruggish are all time classics as well. But that's about it for Bone.
EPMD has way more lasting all-time classic songs.
And Bone being written out of the history books is a frequent complaint I see on here - but clearly you disagree.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crossroads is definitely going down as an all-time classic. The remix of course. First of the Month and Thuggish Ruggish are all time classics as well. But that's about it for Bone.
EPMD has way more lasting all-time classic songs.
And Bone being written out of the history books is a frequent complaint I see on here - but clearly you disagree.

I don't feel like that's it for Bone. Notorious Thugz and Thug Luv are talked about quite a lot, even on the internet always used to be threads comparing them frequently lol. I rarely hear EPMD talked about in comparison to Bone. As time passes a lot of greats are not lauded as much, whether it's Caz, Melle Mel, Moe Dee etc, Bone's presence is still felt,, more than EPMD I'd say. When people talk about the greatest Hip Hop groups Wu tang and Bone are two of the most widely picked choices I hear.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I don't feel like that's it for Bone. Notorious Thugz and Thug Luv are talked about quite a lot, even on the internet always used to be threads comparing them frequently lol. I rarely hear EPMD talked about in comparison to Bone. As time passes a lot of greats are not lauded as much, whether it's Caz, Melle Mel, Moe Dee etc, Bone's presence is still felt,, more than EPMD I'd say. When people talk about the greatest Hip Hop groups Wu tang and Bone are two of the most widely picked choices I hear.
You right about Notorious Thugs as well - but of course, can't attribute all of that to Bone.
Thug Luv was never on the same level as Notorious Thugs...it had its moment though...
And you right about the early 80s cats receding in legacy - but I don't feel that's happened as much with EPMD's era.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You right about Notorious Thugs as well - but of course, can't attribute all of that to Bone.
Thug Luv was never on the same level as Notorious Thugs...it had its moment though...
And you right about the early 80s cats receding in legacy - but I don't feel that's happened as much with EPMD's era.

I think you can attribute quite a bit of that to Bone as they comprise 90 percent of the record lol. I don't agree with Thug Luv, I've always seen that regarded very highly, worldwide, people LOVE that record lol. Has the obligatory poll been done on here comparing the two? Lol. Personally I like Thug Luv best, Bizzy wrecks that shyt. That song is so hard, I know very well known songs with international artists spittin over that beat. And underground too. People bring that up all the time, those 2. Foe The Love Of $ was a big song too. Yeah, was thinking about people like Kane and shyt. 90's yeah I guess I see what you mean, but some of the lessor 90's group (in terms of stature) have been a bit but obviously Pac and Big died, then Jay and Nas for instance are still prominent. In a sense I feel a group like Mobb Deep should even get more respect (even though they are seen as legends), but some people don't really hold them in high regard as they should be. Brand Nubian don't hear about as much, thinking who else.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I think you can attribute quite a bit of that to Bone as they comprise 90 percent of the record lol. I don't agree with Thug Luv, I've always seen that regarded very highly, worldwide, people LOVE that record lol. Has the obligatory poll been done on here comparing the two? Lol. Personally I like Thug Luv best, Bizzy wrecks that shyt. That song is so hard, I know very well known songs with international artists spittin over that beat. And underground too. People bring that up all the time, those 2. Foe The Love Of $ was a big song too. Yeah, was thinking about people like Kane and shyt. 90's yeah I guess I see what you mean, but some of the lessor 90's group (in terms of stature) have been a bit but obviously Pac and Big died, then Jay and Nas for instance are still prominent. In a sense I feel a group like Mobb Deep should even get more respect (even though they are seen as legends), but some people don't really hold them in high regard as they should be. Brand Nubian don't hear about as much, thinking who else.
Nah - the reason Notorious Thugs was so special was that BIG did their style. That put it on another level from Thug Luv.
Foe the love was a big single - but not on the level of the other three. Nowhere near. Fantastic song though.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah - the reason Notorious Thugs was so special was that BIG did their style. That put it on another level from Thug Luv.
Foe the love was a big single - but not on the level of the other three. Nowhere near. Fantastic song though.

The fact that Big did their style is a testament to Bone though and to the fact their style is worth doing. Big did a good job, but I thought it was an excellent song. Have always, and most people I know have always liked Thug Luv better though, we used to bump that like crazy lol. The song is just so hard... Bizzy also slaughters both verses, many people say he had the best verse on both joints, which is arguable but reasonable. I guess we're talking personal preferences but Thug Luv has huge acclaim also. It really is a big song, correct me if I'm wrong but possibly since your not a big Bone or Pac fan your viewpoint may be different partly due to that?. Anyway respect to both groups.