• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
The fact that Big did their style is a testament to Bone though and to the fact their style is worth doing. Big did a good job, but I thought it was an excellent song. Have always, and most people I know have always liked Thug Luv better though, we used to bump that like crazy lol. The song is just so hard... Bizzy also slaughters both verses, many people say he had the best verse on both joints, which is arguable but reasonable. I guess we're talking personal preferences but Thug Luv has huge acclaim also. It really is a big song, correct me if I'm wrong but possibly since your not a big Bone or Pac fan your viewpoint may be different partly due to that?. Anyway respect to both groups.
:ufdup:Pac is one of the GOATS. I'm a huge Pac fan.
Bone I am not a fan of. But if my viewpoint is skewed as not being a fan, wouldn't yours also be skewed since you're a fan? :yeshrug:
Both were big songs in 97...of course, nowadays Bone closes their sets with Notorious Thugs...that indicative of which song had the more lasting legacy.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ufdup:Pac is one of the GOATS. I'm a huge Pac fan.
Bone I am not a fan of. But if my viewpoint is skewed as not being a fan, wouldn't yours also be skewed since you're a fan? :yeshrug:
Both were big songs in 97...of course, nowadays Bone closes their sets with Notorious Thugs...that indicative of which song had the more lasting legacy.

I'm a fan of both groups though. I got every EPMD album aswel as Bone's. So no lol. And my bad, didn't realize you rated Pac so highly. Cool, well it's hard to really factually verify that so just have to accept the difference in opinions.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I'm a fan of both groups though. I got every EPMD album aswel as Bone's. So no lol. And my bad, didn't realize you rated Pac so highly. Cool, well it's hard to really factually verify that so just have to accept the difference in opinions.
I thought we were talking about bias with respect to the Thug Luv song?
What made you think I wasn't a Pac fan btw?

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought we were talking about bias with respect to the Thug Luv song?
What made you think I wasn't a Pac fan btw?

Yeah but the thread is about EPMD/Bone. so in terms of comparison. Like I'm a fan of everybody, Biggie, Pac, Bone, EPMD etc. So I'm just viewing it objectively. I'd say I was a fan off everyone involved. No particular reason, I knew you'd said you weren't that big on Bone I think, Pac I'm not sure, like I wasn't sure about it. Infact now I think did you say Pac was somewhere in your top 10? But possibly on the lower end of it? I don't remember as so many posts lol. I thought you liked Pac, just didn't think you were like a huge fan, if you are I stand corrected on that.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Bone fans can't, on the one hand, say that Bone has been written out of the history books, and on the other hand, claim that their legacy has endured with respect to individual songs.
And if, by bigger, you mean more sales, then yes of course. If by bigger, you mean the songs have a more enduring legacy - then no.

written out of the history books by THE INDUSTRY & THE MEDIA.

big difference than what youre trying to insinuate.

Crossroads is definitely going down as an all-time classic. The remix of course. First of the Month and Thuggish Ruggish are all time classics as well. But that's about it for Bone.
EPMD has way more lasting all-time classic songs.
And Bone being written out of the history books is a frequent complaint I see on here - but clearly you disagree.

bullchit.

theres bone singles that you are refusing to mention that are either bigger or more legendary or both bigger & legendary than any epmd single.

this is that genuine disregard stuff that im talking about.

:childplease:

they close their sets with crossroads.

You right about Notorious Thugs as well - but of course, can't attribute all of that to Bone.
Thug Luv was never on the same level as Notorious Thugs...it had its moment though...
And you right about the early 80s cats receding in legacy - but I don't feel that's happened as
much with EPMD's era.

thug luv & notorious thugs were about equal in popularity in real-time. actually, thug luv was seen and prolly still is seen as the better song amongst those that actually subscribe to that brand of hip-hop.

the advantages that notorious thugs had/has is that its featured on an important east coast album, and the media loves to dwell on it.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
pretend that a gold group has bigger & more legendary singles than the highest-selling rap group of all-time brehs.

@mobbinfms, this is the genuine disregard that im talking about.

WHOMP WHOMP.:comeon:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
pretend that a gold group has bigger & more legendary singles than the highest-selling rap group of all-time brehs.

@mobbinfms, this is the genuine disregard that im talking about.

WHOMP WHOMP.:comeon:
You talking sales though. You know that's not the determining factor in calling something legendary. Not even close.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You talking sales though. You know that's not the determining factor in calling something legendary. Not even close.

its not even about sales. you act like i listed the black eyed peas.

and lesbianest, epmd's singles & presentation were friendlier than most of bone's chit.:whistle:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Lets's be honest, the Wu-Tang vs Bone Thugs was a great argument, but I think that this argument holds less water for the following reasons:

Who is writing Bone Thugs out of history? They are one of the most successful hip-hop groups of all time and came up in an era where most of the posters on here were cognizant (let's not act like that's not a factor) There was never this movement to phase them out by the media. Most major publications have them as a top 10 of all time group, maybe even top 5. E 1999 Eternal is considered a GOAT album and and unquestioned classic (in any genre). They have had successful singles spanning over a decade. The have sold over 10 million albums, and for all intents and purposes made midwest hip-hop a viable region.

EPMD came out in 1986-87, most of you guys weren't around back then and you can't even get a lot of scoop on how it was because EPMD hasn't been relevant since maybe 1997 and even then the chemistry was strained after Business Never Personal, every album after that was literally dropped for the fanbase that demanded more music from them. But fact of the matter is Eric Sermon was one of the forerunners of the golden era, in other words his production shifted the music from keyboard synths and 808's to the funk era, which in turn influenced West Coast hip-hop as well as set the template for the boom bap era. And what's this noise about not having legendary singles, that was basically the only way to get on like or not in the mid 80's, NY was the trendsetter for everything, You Gots to Chill was big in NY and Cali and I'm sure everywhere in between.

Both groups brought something new and different to the table when they dropped but let's not diminish EPMD and make look like they were basement dwellers, I just think this is a more generational argument, if you were born after 83 I could see how you would say Bone Thugs was the better group.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
If you wanna talk about setting a foundation for trap... shyt... "Pocket Full of Stones" by UGK. Sounded nothing like anything out at the time, distinct 808 beat, drug talk, Bun's flow... at least a few years ahead of its time.

It crazy how ahead of the curve that album (Too Hard to Swallow) and Supertight was, I played in in my car when I picked my son up from school and he thought it was new.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
It crazy how ahead of the curve that album (Too Hard to Swallow) and Supertight was, I played in in my car when I picked my son up from school and he thought it was new.

more like the music has dumbed down since.

i like ugk's music and i think super-tight is an arguable classic. but those albums were below-the-bar struggle raps. nothing ahead of the curve at all.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

more like the music has dumbed down since.

i like ugk's music and i think super-tight is an arguable classic. but those albums were below-the-bar struggle raps. nothing ahead of the curve at all.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Lets's be honest, the Wu-Tang vs Bone Thugs was a great argument, but I think that this argument holds less water for the following reasons:

Who is writing Bone Thugs out of history? They are one of the most successful hip-hop groups of all time and came up in an era where most of the posters on here were cognizant (let's not act like that's not a factor) There was never this movement to phase them out by the media. Most major publications have them as a top 10 of all time group, maybe even top 5. E 1999 Eternal is considered a GOAT album and and unquestioned classic (in any genre). They have had successful singles spanning over a decade. The have sold over 10 million albums, and for all intents and purposes made midwest hip-hop a viable region.

:rudy:

the industry was throwing shade on bone when they were poppin & in their prime.

what publications list them as a top 5-10 group? what publications consider e.99 a goat album?

at the most, theyll give them those props in the middle of somebody's article, but when it comes to making those lists, somebody is there throwing shade.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
written out of the history books by THE INDUSTRY & THE MEDIA.

big difference than what youre trying to insinuate.

bullchit.

theres bone singles that you are refusing to mention that are either bigger or more legendary or both bigger & legendary than any epmd single.

this is that genuine disregard stuff that im talking about.

:childplease:

they close their sets with crossroads.

thug luv & notorious thugs were about equal in popularity in real-time. actually, thug luv was seen and prolly still is seen as the better song amongst those that actually subscribe to that brand of hip-hop.

the advantages that notorious thugs had/has is that its featured on an important east coast album, and the media loves to dwell on it.
The general public don't write history books. So what does that leave them? Their core fan base?

None of the second tier songs you mentioned are bigger. So which songs?

A co-worker went to see them a couple years back. Said they closed with NT.
its not even about sales. you act like i listed the black eyed peas.

and lesbianest, epmd's singles & presentation were friendlier than most of bone's chit.:whistle:
If it's not about sales - why did you call Bone the highest selling group in your post?