Bomb Rush Cyberfunk(Jet Set Radio successor) Out now PC/Switch|9/1/23-PS5/XSS,XSX/PS4/X0

Flexington

All Star
Daps
What's the consensus? Does the gameplay innovate or is it a rehash from 20 years ago?

Cause i don't wanna be disappointed again after hover and balan wonderand :francis:

I only played a little over an hr. I feel like it's close, but not quite what I was hoping for in terms of pushing things forward gameplay wise - then again I'm early in, maybe I'll adjust to the mechanics and/or more come into play and make me change my mind.

The intro levels are fairly simple, a bit empty in some ways (which is due to the ability to manual and run on foot). The moves/comboing to create speed is a bit slower than Jet Set to me. I think that's because we have more ways to get around now, so you don't need to gather as much speed on a grind to go far...you can double jump or boost in the air instead. I'm hoping later levels have better planned rail/billboard connections and I'm not having to link things with manuals and slides all the time as part of the fun in Jet Set for me was getting good enough to trick throughout entire levels and barely touch the ground.

Combat is the weakest point so far. It's kind of weird not seeing enemy health and just randomly boosting through them repeatedly/hitting til they stay down. Never thought I'd miss the drive by sprays from JSRF. The police feel slower to me as well.

On the bright side, the general controls, soundtrack and visual style really make me feel like I'm playing a jet set game. I like when characters talk they'll do a litte phrase like "yo!" and then the text loads just like the old games. However the story is more of a focal point in this than I was expecting, and there's no personality like Professor K narrarting so it's delivering a bit flat at times.

Some of the crews that have been introduced have made me chuckle like the Oldheads :flabbynsick:,

TLDR; If you're on the fence, wait for a sale. There's too much heat out right now to spend full price on this