Bomb Rush Cyberfunk(Jet Set Radio successor) Out now PC/Switch|9/1/23-PS5/XSS,XSX/PS4/X0

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Is Professor K in this game? :lupe:

Nah. And if you watched this trailer and thought that they had a female version in his stead...that's also a negative.
Design wise, they didn't put in a Professor K character for two reasons, according to the Dev chatter I saw on the Twitter coming up on this game.
1) It would be too dead on the nose, if they were to do it because this game is supposed to be inspired by, not a straight up rip off, so that was part of having their own identity even though this game is akin to a clone born in a vat that's almost a full carbon copy of it's main.

2)Believe it or not, this game is a sort of wake up call to Sega that the streets BEEN Clamoring for new Jet Grind/Jet Set shyt. While so many studios are doing reboots/remakes and wondering if past Ip's will have enough nostalgic power to bring about a resurgence of said series, the Team Reptile folk kinda made this game as a sort of example to how needed it is in the hopes that Sega will take the hint and release actual new content instead of being radio silent on the IP for 2, going on 3 decades despite this game having a sizeable cult following. In other words THEY'D rather see them put back in Professor K than them try and replace him...which I respect heavily.​

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean I'd bet money that Jet Set Radio 3 is coming out sometime in the near future. I mean Persona 3 Remake was leaked alongside JSR3 a few months ago and now we know P3R is a real thing.
iu

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
I mean I'd bet money that Jet Set Radio 3 is coming out sometime in the near future. I mean Persona 3 Remake was leaked alongside JSR3 a few months ago and now we know P3R is a real thing.
iu
Hopefully it's not a shytty gacha game or game as a service and a an actual followup to jsrf

Curious to see what gameplay additions there will be. BRC had a lot of great ones, so I'm interested if there will be any similarities

Plus, I wonder if it will be a sequel or another reimagining. If the former, wonder to which game :jbhmm:

Me personally, I'd rather have a sequel to future

It's got more narrative potential. There's some unanswered questions from jsrf. Like wtf is the doomsday clock for? Or how were the zero beats made? Is goji really dead? And does beat smoke weed? :jbhmm:

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
Just finished the game

Story actually was pretty cool. I liked how there's more of a personal stake against the main villain. Just felt like they could've fleshed him out some more. We only get his motivation right after we kill him :russ:

In retrospect, i feel like red's body being similar to yoyo's clothes is a Easter egg for the twist :ohhh:

Now alls said and done, I actually like this cast :ehh:

I'd like to see this get an anime adaptation cause it's got some good potential. It'd be a nice lil show like cyberpunk if it could get fleshed out some more

Disappointed the credits didn't end like the other jet set radio games though :francis:

But overall, I really enjoyed the game. Think team reptile accomplished everything they set out to do. A real loveletter to the jet set radio series. They invoked all the memories of playing jsrf as a kid :mjcry:

Last edited:

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
This game put me onto bmx :russ:

Never really looked into it much but shyt is hella dope

Hope they expand on tricks in a sequel

If they put tricks like these in that would go hard af:whoo:

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Gameplay clip from me:

Review:

BRC is better than Jet Set Radio Future and I'd have to say it's probably on par with the original JSR.

JSRF is too relaxed, even in its platforming. BRC applies both skill and knowledge to the gameplay while making things more tense in Future. Traversing the level in the clip seems easy when you watch but so much can go wrong. BRC is deceptive in that it looks completely easy but mastering the combo system requires far more skill than you would think. Easy to play, hard to master. Getting combos that are tens of millions in points is an achievement. I won't claim I'm a master in this game yet, either. In the clip you see I almost boosted outside of bounds in the half pipe. BRC is full of stuff like that in its gameplay where a lot can go wrong to end a combo string or a way for you to mess up. It's not hard to do, but doing it well takes skill. Traversing the level isn't hard or difficult, but doing it perfectly, without breaking combo, and not falling off a rail in a badly placed jump takes practice and you will not get this on first run. By separating the levels into multiple "zones" BRC achieved a perfect marriage marriage of JSR's "perfect run" gameplay with JSRF's smooth controls and relaxed vibe. The result is a game that has the depth of JSR but is more freeform and open in terms of goals in how you approach the level design, but with the chill of Future. It's a perfect marriage.

One of the biggest complaints of JSR was that it was too difficult. Not to flex, but I ranked in the top 5 in JSR HD on Steam when it came out. I have played JSR at least 20+ times. I say all of this to admit that even I find it a bit rough around the edges at times and it's a game that I have mastered. Yet its sequel JSRF took the opposite approach and made a game that's too easy and laid back. BRC strikes a beautiful medium between the two. It can be a challenge but often the challenge is against your own skills in attempting to master it while at the same time not necessarily being a super difficult game. It's way more fair and arguably fun to play than JSR.

The story too is something to marvel. It's straight out of Killer 7/David Lynch/Cronenberg 2000's style creative mind fukkery that I haven't seen from a video game in a long, long time. It's a ride to experience with twists and turns, and while it doesn't successfully pull off a completely perfect landing (the final boss parts were kind of rushed), what is there is fascinating and interesting to think about that only lends to future playthroughs.

My only real disappointment is the soundtrack, which funnily, should have been one of the easiest things to top.

My issues with the soundtrack being:

1. you often do not get music unless you find the disc. I have not once heard the 2Mello song in-game.
2. you have to pre-select the music you listen to from the phone. There's often no curated playlist.
3. the music loops, some songs go on too long.
4. I'm listening to the soundtrack on youtube and I'm hearing songs I've never even heard because I haven't even found their discs yet. Obviously I have a problem with this.
5. There's a lack of song variety. JSR and JSRF had a lot of variety in it and you had hip hop and electronic all the way to rock. There was crazy songs like Aisle 10 and Birthday Cake to songs like Baby T and I Love Love You. BRC simply lacks this variety in its soundtrack.

Essentially, they gatekeep music content. Looking at full OST, it seems the main problem is that they had too much music for the amount of content they had. The full soundtrack is fantastic but the way the game itself plays the music is incredibly wack.

Aside from that, Team Reptile has managed to merge the best of JSR with JSRF while creating something truly unique on its own merits. Jet Set Radio is my second favorite game ever and I can say with the serious of faces that this is at least on par with it in different ways. I think it offers up its own thing and unique take on the formula enough for it be close.

Game is fun as shyt and a full on indie masterpiece.