Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

lib123

All Star
Daps
The Nasdaq was up 148% since Covid hit in March 2020.

If you were approaching things as a an investor instead of a trader, you would know that the markets are overbought, and would've either limited your risk, or remained content because you are focused on the long term

Yeah and whenever something becomes a mainstream topic of conversation, it's a bubble. Joe Budden was telling listeners to 'buy the dip' on his recent podcast.

:russ:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Yeah you were able to recover but your returns would've been exponentially greater if you waited to invest until after bubble burst.
so basically have perfect timing of the market which almost no one has :aicmon:

this is why you learn fundamentals and DCA - hypothetically, sure it would be nice to buy AAPL when it bottoms out at 120, but if I get 128, oh well, i will have done quite well when it rebounds to 170 3-4 years out

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Y'all sound cute with the buy the dip moves and all but where's the floor to this at:hhh:
don't go all in at once :hhh:

do some work yourself and figure out what you feel is a good discount on companies that will recover...AMZN is almost 30% off its ATH - you're telling me you don't believe that 5-7 years from now it won't have recovered at least half of that? that's a deal you buy, maybe you buy one share today and wait to buy the second share when things seem to be on a upturn, but you gotta have your target list and set your price points

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
jumping-out-of-window.gif

lib123

All Star
Daps
so basically have perfect timing of the market which almost no one has :aicmon:

this is why you learn fundamentals and DCA - hypothetically, sure it would be nice to buy AAPL when it bottoms out at 120, but if I get 128, oh well, i will have done quite well when it rebounds to 170 3-4 years out

Lol no it's not perfect timing, it's studying the history of bubbles. In bubbles going back decades, peak-to-trough decline is 70-90% for major indexes. Yeah you won't buy at the exact bottom, but waiting until it runs its course is extremely lucrative.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Y'all sound cute with the buy the dip moves and all but where's the floor to this at:hhh:
The thing about "buying the dip" is you have to buy in small amounts. So if something drops from $150 to $120 you buy a little, if it drops to $110 you buy a little more, etc etc . That's how I've done to average down, but the problem is it keeps dipping :pachaha:

Like the breh up top said, just get in at a good price and see it out, you won't always be able to get in at the very bottom, this shyt is hit or miss.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Lol no it's not perfect timing, it's studying the history of bubbles. In bubbles going back decades, peak-to-trough decline is 70-90% for major indexes. Yeah you won't buy at the exact bottom, but waiting until it runs its course is extremely lucrative.
so like i said, expect perfect timing...

you got it breh...as overstated and cheesy as it is, there's a reason the whole "time in the market beats timing the market" pops up in every investing thread. I'll DCA...plenty of more people have missed gains waiting for some phantom bottom as opposed to DCA'ing on the way down and up...