Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
that's why they're a buy, the selloff in tech is irrationally hitting areas that have a clear growth trajectory and high demand.
Sorry I don't understand. Shouldn't the shortage put the QCOM, NVDA, INTC and co in the red ? I mean, they can't keep up with the demand at the moment so why don't they crash ?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rookie question

how come it seems like when I try to purchase a stock at the lowest price it always seems to wait until the price goes up before it’s pushed through aren’t the trades live action real time based on the listed price of the commodity? Am I low key being ripped off.

Spree At Last

All Star
Daps
Sorry I don't understand. Shouldn't the shortage put the QCOM, NVDA, INTC and co in the red ? I mean, they can't keep up with the demand at the moment so why don't they crash ?
Look at ASML and AMAT, these names are almost certain to keep growing because they supply crucial equipment to every semiconductor manufacturer. ASML in particular has a complete monopoly over EUV machines which are necessary to make the latest and best chips. That's not gonna change for a long time.

The shortage means more companies (TSM, INTC, etc) are investing in foundries to build more chips, and companies like ASML and AMAT win big in this landscape since they get more orders

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
no, the shortage isn't a failing of chip makers, it's the result of surging demand. why would they go in the red when they're selling every single thing they make, when high demand means they can raise prices and thus margins? this is a financial positive. they have a huge market to grow into, it's an industry where there's concrete evidence there will be future growth...at least until production capacity overtakes demand.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Look at ASML and AMAT, these names are almost certain to keep growing because they supply crucial equipment to every semiconductor manufacturer. ASML in particular has a complete monopoly over EUV machines which are necessary to make the latest and best chips. That's not gonna change for a long time.

The shortage means more companies (TSM, INTC, etc) are investing in foundries to build more chips, and companies like ASML and AMAT win big in this landscape since they get more orders
That's an interesting angle to play indeed. I'll have a look at thos thanks.

But I might need some finance 101 because company valuations going up while they can't keep up with the demand don't really make sense to me. I understand that the value of the products goes up as it's pure supply/demand but I don't really get why the market responds favorably to what I perceive as a failure from said companies. Or is it that the market thinks about the situation as potentially good ? Sorry if that's a rookie question but finance is not really my area of expertise :lolbron:

EDIT : @dora_da_destroyer explained it above

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Rookie question

how come it seems like when I try to purchase a stock at the lowest price it always seems to wait until the price goes up before it’s pushed through aren’t the trades live action real time based on the listed price of the commodity? Am I low key being ripped off.
you need to check if you have real time quotes enabled in your brokerage, many default to delayed quotes which are ~15 mins behind. so you could be trying to buy for $22 based on a 15 min old quote, but your actual purchase price is the real-time price which might be $24.

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
Rookie question

you tried to put a limit order?

and like dora_da_destroyer said you have to enable real time quote. i had to do that with fidelity.

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps
ARDX a pudfa play April 29..

was looking to get in for 6.50ish for a while and it fell off a cliff this AM. seems like money is rotating out of the sector.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
no, the shortage isn't a failing of chip makers, it's the result of surging demand. why would they go in the red when they're selling every single thing they make, when high demand means they can raise prices and thus margins? this is a financial positive. they have a huge market to grow into, it's an industry where there's concrete evidence there will be future growth...at least until production capacity overtakes demand.
Ok I can see it that way indeed, got it. I was thinking of companies not being able to forecast that surge as a negative similarly as a en energy supplier not being able to face an increase of power demand and in that case, to me it's a failure

EDIT : wanted to rep you but seems like I can't. Here's an imaginary +10 then :russ:

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
current market doesn't have me wanting to put money into a highly speculative sector like space, maybe the share price will reflect the current state of its underlying assets, but i wasn't fully sold on it while markets were running, was just gonna ride the ARK c/s. i'll see where we are in the summer and if it makes sense to invest

I don't consider the space economy to be speculative. There's been consistent growth over the past decade. Investing in space is forward looking for me. Here are some key takeaways:

Small satellites industry is expected to grow from nearly $3B in 2020 to over $7B by 2025.

Drone technologies is expected to grow from $14B in 2018 to $43B in 2025.

I'm thinking about 2025 to 2030 with my portfolio...these space plays are going into my IRA

:yeshrug:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
For those looking in the energy sector, here's a quick chart

vugv8ckk6aj61.jpg