Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
anyone ever realize that uber & sq have the same hq building :dwillhuh:
very common, the tech companies in SF are pretty much in the same buildings or one over from another as they're all in the FiDi, SOMA, Mid market and a little in Mission Bay. Look at a Google map of SF and zoom in enough, you'll see just how many HQ's are on top of each other or nextdoor

I miss working in SF, I didn't fukk with SF in my personal time, but working near the Embarcardero drinking wine taking the ferry home on a warm day :ahh:

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you had to trim all of your positions down to 4 what would you invest in stocks/etfs/crypto

I think I’d go with:
TSLA
ARKK
ETH
Apple
ARKG

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
no, im not ashamed to say i dont think i can beat a tech mutual fund that puts up 68 percent in a year :dead:

what are you, gassed off tesla? :mjlol: you think teslas just gonna keep growing the same pace it did the past couple years? shyt is gonna plateau as a blue chip

68% last year is like 15% typical year. :mjlol:

i mean it's a simple math. you can't get a great return when you are invested in 200 stocks. :heh:

hell i would just copy FE moves and you will do much better than those funds. i know all about those funds and it's only good if you already got like 10 mil and you just want to be super conservative. i'll start moving my money to mutual funds when i'm like 55. :mjlit:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
you're better than this...:gucci:

8 of their top 10 holdings are either down completely this year or down from Jan highs...yet they still put up 14% YTD.

biotech/pharma is a volatile sector, i don't see how someone invests in a bio fund that's heavily weighted toward a speculative genomic sector and expect it to consistently go up (rapidly). as i've said before, it's the reason i don't invest in individual stocks in this sector, it's boom or bust way too easily. furthermore a quarter of trading sideways, hell even a year, is a drop in the bucket when looking at the long term horizon for the fund, the biotech/genomic industry, and the expected performance of its holdings.

lastly, yes, ARK funds have been :rocket: the past 3 years, but the goal of the fund is to average 20%...expectations have been set, don't expect 150% YoY
Takeover Battle Subsides as Cathie Wood's Ark Targets 20% ETF Returns | ThinkAdvisor

I just want it to show it can make and sustain it's gains as pretty much everything else has been running this year..

I have high hopes for that fund and the sector as a whole but when something is trading like this I start thinking that maybe I'm wasting my time.

No doubt that it performed great for me last year.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I want to make it clear @dora_da_destroyer that the only reason I'm questioning arkg is because everything else has been running, weed sector, EVs, SPACs, etc..

I'm far from an expert on the genome sector.. I'd like to see some of these get back on track.

Because if the bull market collapses, they will be the first to get hit.

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS
very common, the tech companies in SF are pretty much in the same buildings or one over from another as they're all in the FiDi, SOMA, Mid market and a little in Mission Bay. Look at a Google map of SF and zoom in enough, you'll see just how many HQ's are on top of each other or nextdoor

I miss working in SF, I didn't fukk with SF in my personal time, but working near the Embarcardero drinking wine taking the ferry home on a warm day :ahh:

Yeah it's cool to see it the first time you're there. Just walking around those neighborhoods and seeing signage and everyone wearing their respective hoodies/branded patagonias. Even if many of them can be pretentious.

I spent a lot of time in SF for work pre-covid too but same as you, I don't miss much except the Happy Hours.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

I'm just thinking of the cross collaboration opportunities

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got coworkers buying 2-3 mid-cap stocks at a time bragging to me because it went up $2-5 :mjlol:
This is me every weekend.
:pachaha:

I just nod my head along and go "Wow man ! That penny stock went down 5 cents and you pulled out ? Crazy bro ! Hopefully
the next one's a runner!!!"

I always preface my comments with "I don't know everything, I'm just watching and learning" so I think it leads to them just ignoring
what I have to say for the most part :yeshrug: I'm fine with that especially when several of them have all got paper hands and they're
afraid to lose money so I struggle understand why they're even entertaining this as a hobby. :pachaha:

Don't even get me started on the guys struggling to make ends meet with $500+ car notes contemplating jumping into investing because
they think they'll turn into DFV or WSBGod or one of our resident ballers just by happening to have a brokerage account.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
then why do you do dividend investing :why:shouldnt you be out here crushing cathie?
This is a hobby for me. I look to improve but my goal isn't crush Cathy or anybody but myself. Some people follow sports. I do this.
and easily end up red....for every genius small cap that get notoriety, a lot of investors are researching and investing in what looks like a great pick and wiping out.
So what if they get wiped-outaslong as they made their own choices? Nobody should be investing money they can't afford to lose. Much of my enjoyment of this is me actively doing it. I do a lot of dumb things most people in this thread would advise against. Example I don't max out my Roth accounts before contributing to my taxable accounts. In fact I barely contribute to my Roth at all. I put $100 in it last year and $1500 in it the year before. Almost all my investments are 401K or non-tax advantaged accounts.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
This is me every weekend.
:pachaha:

I just nod my head along and go "Wow man ! That penny stock went down 5 cents and you pulled out ? Crazy bro ! Hopefully
the next one's a runner!!!"

I always preface my comments with "I don't know everything, I'm just watching and learning" so I think it leads to them just ignoring
what I have to say for the most part :yeshrug: I'm fine with that especially when several of them have all got paper hands and they're
afraid to lose money so I struggle understand why they're even entertaining this as a hobby. :pachaha:

Don't even get me started on the guys struggling to make ends meet with $500+ car notes contemplating jumping into investing because
they think they'll turn into DFV or WSBGod or one of our resident ballers just by happening to have a brokerage account.
:mjlol:

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
not by me. but we all know theres a lotta bull market geniuses in here tho :dead::salute:

it ain't got nothing to do with what type of market environment we are in. :ufdup:

it's all about the future of the company breh. you find a company, learn about them, their financials, and their future outlook. for ex. i believe planet 13 has a bright future. their balance sheets solid as fuk. they are building more superstores and biden will be weed sector friendly. and they are doing this while they are OTC. i would be crazy not to be bullish. in fact i just spent 15k more on them at this current price. i got in under $2.

and if you really want to do mutual funds then i would at least go with ARK. they are risk taking forward thinkers. they think ahead and invest in the future. Cathie will get you a better return.

Prodigital

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally enabled options on RH, ready to test the waters tmrw, pray for me brehs. I'm starting small.

Missed some golden opportunities to bank off this weeks sell offs, but its all a learning experience. Gotta add this skill set to my arsenal for next time the market does this.

Spree At Last

All Star
Daps
it ain't got nothing to do with what type of market environment we are in. :ufdup:

it's all about the future of the company breh. you find a company, learn about them, their financials, and their future outlook. for ex. i believe planet 13 has a bright future. their balance sheets solid as fuk. they are building more superstores and biden will be weed sector friendly. and they are doing this while they are OTC. i would be crazy not to be bullish. in fact i just spent 15k more on them at this current price. i got in under $2.

and if you really want to do mutual funds then i would at least go with ARK. they are risk taking forward thinkers. they think ahead and invest in the future. Cathie will get you a better return.

it's all about your risk tolerance and investment goals. there's nothing wrong with owning mutual funds, it's actually a great idea if you want to counterbalance some riskier investments. if you're looking to 10x your portfolio then yeah put all your money in some aggressive growth stocks or fukk around with options or shytcoins. if you already have a nice size portfolio then stable growth is more important. ARK funds have been doing great (i own a lot of ARKG) but they have high risk profiles and could correct significantly if we enter any prolonged bear market.