Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Most folks are socialized to be fearful of the market.

I had a realization last week. I was raised by my grandparents in South Los Angeles. My grandmother would sit in the living room, and watch the news. Every time I approached the door to leave she would stop me and point out the local news story about someone getting shot, robbed or hurt. Those experiences taught me how to see pass the fear mongering that drives local news.

However, it wasn’t until recently that I realized that the same fear monger is reflected in the stock market news. I had long learned to recognize the news tricks, but I did realize that they were doing the same things with the market news.

The news makes you think stocks are scary: “Dow drops 600 points on vaccine fears;” “The markets are rattled by the upcoming election: down 2%;” “Apple lost $2 billion last year. Stock could crater.”

If you don’t know anything, you don’t know that they are talking out their azz, and don’t have a clue as to why the market is moving downward. Besides, the daily fluctuations aren’t newsworthy. I guess it would be boring to lead with this daily: “The Fed-fueled bull market continues.”
My pops was really anti-stock market. I don't even tell him I invest now. He kinda put me off to it for most of my life. Ironically my mom is the person that got me into stocks. She gifted me some Hughes Net shares from her job at GM that eventually became AT&T shares. One day I noticed I was getting these checks in the mail. Went on Computershare entered my info and it had been years and a decent amount of dividends piled up. I started investing in dividend stocks from there. This was Jan 2019.

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
My pops was really anti-stock market. I don't even tell him I invest now. He kinda put me off to it for most of my life. Ironically my mom is the person that got me into stocks. She gifted me some Hughes Net shares from her job at GM that eventually became AT&T shares. One day I noticed I was getting these checks in the mail. Went on Computershare entered my info and it had been years and a decent amount of dividends piled up. I started investing in dividend stocks from there. This was Jan 2019.

:salute: to your moms....

But why was your father so anti-stock market tho???:dahell:

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
He think it's a scam. Probably tried it and got burned. Moms had Apple shares pre iPod when they weren't worth anything and he convinced her to sell them. She still nags at him about it.

Damn your father sounds so jaded...:francis: how does he think alot of these brokers making money... not everyone doing blue collar jobs... and yes I would still be irate on selling apple stock...:mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Damn your father sounds so jaded...:francis: how does he think alot of these brokers making money... not everyone doing blue collar jobs... and yes I would still be irate on selling apple stock...:mjlol:
Father is the Dave Ramsey type when it comes to spending money, saving, and debt. He did a lot of good things. He's never had a mortgage his entire life. Bought a fixer-upper when he was in his 20s and he's in his 60s now and still there. He never financed cars either. Bought them outright. He's a boomer so he had a good job and saved like crazy but he lost out on growing that money even more by not investing.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
What discords you in :mjpls:

It’s this African/Nigerian Diaspora investing chat group my good friend from uni got me in on.

It’s 6 guys that do research/DD then come together to recommend different stocks/plays. Each stock pick has to be a unanimous yes from all 6 guys (my friend is one of the 6).

They do regular stocks but of late have been going in on OTC.

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
What site do yall use for taxes? Taxslayer and easytaxreturn want me to list each stock that I bought and sold individually. I sold more than 30 stocks, I don't have time to list them individually. Turbo Tax let me put my total proceeds and cost basis, buy they're tryna charge me $150:hhh:
Is there a cheaper site that lets you put in your total proceeds and cost basis instead of listing them individually?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
What site do yall use for taxes? Taxslayer and easytaxreturn want me to list each stock that I bought and sold individually. I sold more than 30 stocks, I don't have time to list them individually. Turbo Tax let me put my total proceeds and cost basis, buy they're tryna charge me $150:hhh:
Is there a cheaper site that lets you put in your total proceeds and cost basis instead of listing them individually?

haven't done mine yet this year but turbo tax does it automatically when u upload a pdf of your 1099

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps

you can just import them whenever it's ready. i tried to do mine today, but it says robinhood will be ready on 2/21. i already did my m1.

did they increase the price tho? i thought i'm paying like $90. :jbhmm:

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
you can just import them whenever it's ready. i tried to do mine today, but it says robinhood will be ready on 2/21. i already did my m1.

did they increase the price tho? i thought i'm paying like $90. :jbhmm:

I completed the my tax profile and imported all my stock info on Turbo Tax already. I have to pay $150 to file it now. I was trying to find a cheaper service that lets you import everything.