Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Can someone explain why y’all are happy for a stock split?
Attracting more retail investors and psychological boosts it gives investors that it can keep running.

To retail investors it’s more likely that a 400 stock will double rather than a 1400 stock. The increased stock liquidity may help.

There’s potential for the stock to double faster if retail piles in. Maybe greater affordability, S&P inclusion, & battery day can get us half way there

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
My understanding is, say a stock is trading at $100/share. You buy today for $100 and get one share. It splits 4 to 1, you will end up with 4 shares for $25 each.

If you wait till after split you would buy 4 shares for $25 each anyway.

But people here believe that the price will be driven up before split as people are buying up news of split, thinking lower price will attract more investors. For example Tesla is up 7% on news of split.

- on a side note, kicking myself for not buying Tesla at $200/share. Might have been able to retire in ten years if people are right about 10k/share prediction by 2030.
thanks for explaining breh. Are you buying before or after split? also 10k prediction? tell me why I shouldnt just sell all my holdings and dump it all into tesla :mjlol:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Attracting more retail investors and psychological boosts it gives investors that it can keep running.

To retail investors it’s more likely that a 400 stock will double rather than a 1400 stock. The increased stock liquidity may help.

There’s potential for the stock to double faster if retail piles in. Maybe greater affordability, S&P inclusion, & battery day can get us half way there
I get the psychological part but how big will the effect be in the world of fractional shares

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
thanks for explaining breh. Are you buying before or after split? also 10k prediction? tell me why I shouldnt just sell all my holdings and dump it all into tesla :mjlol:

the $10k prediction which seems very generous was before the split announcement I imagine

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
So I need to buy apple stock before August 24th and Tesla stock before August 21st to actually buy those stocks when they split? I've never come across this method before?

You can buy them after as well. September 1 is when they start trading at their new prices.