Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Just put in to sell one of my mutual funds for a little under 4k. Out of the ones I own, its the only one that has lost me money, even tho its only down like 25 bucks. I have other funds, most of which have gotten me over 10% gains. Plus I got $700 pending from getting rid of idex recently. I should sell the 16k shares I have of opti in that account and a dip in the morning might just make me. Gonna use that money to buy some tesla. Should be able to get at least 3 shares with that, maybe 4 if I sell opti. Hopefully Fidelity processes the sale and available funds quick. Gotta see what money I move around to consider getting Apple. I got .85 of a share on M1 so maybe by my next recurring deposit later this week I'll have a full share.:jbhmm:

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
What does your current portfolio look like?

Apple stock split takes place August 31st but you need to be a shareholder of record on August 24th

Tesla stock split takes place August 28th but you need to be a shareholder of record on August 21st
So I need to buy apple stock before August 24th and Tesla stock before August 21st to actually buy those stocks when they split? I've never come across this method before?

Reign X

Pro
Daps
But wouldn't it be much cheaper to cop apple after the stock split? what am i missing here?

My understanding is, say a stock is trading at $100/share. You buy today for $100 and get one share. It splits 4 to 1, you will end up with 4 shares for $25 each.

If you wait till after split you would buy 4 shares for $25 each anyway.

But people here believe that the price will be driven up before split as people are buying up news of split, thinking lower price will attract more investors. For example Tesla is up 7% on news of split.

- on a side note, kicking myself for not buying Tesla at $200/share. Might have been able to retire in ten years if people are right about 10k/share prediction by 2030.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
But wouldn't it be much cheaper to cop apple after the stock split? what am i missing here?
yea it would be, but if you buy it before for say 450, you get 450/4 as your cost basis for the shares, and Apple is a long term stock which isn't going to go down. Just my 2 cents