Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Do wash sales apply to stocks you still own? For example, I had 3000 lca for a 12.50 average, I sold 2000 of them and now have a 13.70 average. I sold that portion at a loss obviously, but could I buy back in if god forbid it hit 10 a share and be fine because I still own the stock, I just reduced my amount. Technically its not realized gains and losses correct?

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
finally opened my roth IRA:blessed:
how do guys go about investing in your retirement funds vs individual investment accounts?
I was thinking going straight ETFS (SPY,VOO,VTI) to start and probably throw in a GLD ETF:manny:
Congrats breh and welcome to the team. :salute:

I focus on funds for retirement and stocks for individual investment accounts. I have a few stocks in my retirement account but not in the others. I have an ira that I transferred over to fidelity that is for long term retirement with a bunch of fidelity funds for growth. Some computer ones, semiconductor, ones that follow the s&p, and a bunch of others. What I look for is ones with high risk/high reward. Then I got my roth that has my risk plays like all the penny stocks. I can use my roth up to $10k towards a first home purchase and even tho I haven't reached that total yet on that, I'll likely use it for that since its tax free and then let it grow for the next 25 years hopefully.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Do wash sales apply to stocks you still own? For example, I had 3000 lca for a 12.50 average, I sold 2000 of them and now have a 13.70 average. I sold that portion at a loss obviously, but could I buy back in if god forbid it hit 10 a share and be fine because I still own the stock, I just reduced my amount. Technically its not realized gains and losses correct?
Wash sales still apply to stocks you own. You have to wait 30 days to buy back in.

Reign X

Pro
Daps
Do I buy lmnd or lca? Was waiting for ipo craze to die down for lmnd, it may hit about 55.

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I need to get in this options game:noah:
Yesterday I scalped a option aapl at 2:50pm For a premium of $80 and the Sold that shyt at 3pm for $425. Did it twice. Only reason I ain’t do it more is because of PDT

can fukk youT account up quick though. I had long calls on msft and amazon that completely went the other way on me when the Nasdaq went through that rough couple weeks in the middle of last month. Easily loss 1500

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SPAC ETF Is In The Works, Appears Close To Launch

It's often said in this space that where there's a hot theme, an exchange-traded fund usually isn't far behind and that sentiment appears to be true of the Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) boom.

What Happened

Defiance ETFs filed plans with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for the Defiance NextGen SPAC IPO ETF and that filing indicates the fund will trade under the ticker “SPAK” on the New York Stock Exchange, signs that a launch could take place over the near-term.

SPAK will follow the Indxx SPAC & NextGen IPO Index. That's a cap-weighted benchmark that will be 80% allocated to blank check companies and 20% will be allocated to the firms those vehicles acquire and take public.

Although the filing for SPAK doesn't mention any of these names, examples of companies that have recently gone public via transactions with special purpose vehicles (SPVs) include DraftKings(NASDAQ: DKNG), Nikola (NASDAQ: NKLA) and Virgin Galactic (NYSE: SPCE).

Why It's Important

Due in part to names like DraftKings, Nikola and Virgin Galactic, the SPAC initial public offering (IPO) market is blistering hot this year.

“So far this year, 48 SPACs have raised $17.1 billion, representing 40% of all dollars raised in the 2020 IPO market,” said IPO research firm Renaissance Capital in a July 23 note. “More SPACs have gone public than any other sector, leading healthcare (45 IPOs; $11.1B), technology (14; $4.0B), financials (7; $2.2B), and industrials (6; $4.3B