Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Short-term gains can be made every day in the market, so I wouldn't focus too much on one event. You should start paper-trading/investing and just keep reading, and asking questions.
Well Im a college student so me making 250 bucks in 4 days is great to me...you think thats short term:wow:
what are you invested in right now?:ohhh:

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
Well Im a college student so me making 250 bucks in 4 days is great to me...you think thats short term:wow:
what are you invested in right now?:ohhh:

250 is great for anyone my friend, I just meant that I think the focus should be on consistency and adaptability if you want to make it long-term.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
250 is great for anyone my friend, I just meant that I think the focus should be on consistency and adaptability if you want to make it long-term.
ight so what website do you recommend i start trading on, and what websites do you think will help me learn the basics of trading and all? I see the above poster said something about scottrade..

p.s. refund check should be around 7000, im ready to use it all on trading...my goal is to be successful enough to where I can pay back loans with what I make, and 250 would be a great start.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
ight so what website do you recommend i start trading on, and what websites do you think will help me learn the basics of trading and all? I see the above poster said something about scottrade..

p.s. refund check should be around 7000, im ready to use it all on trading...my goal is to be successful enough to where I can pay back loans with what I make, and 250 would be a great start.

how did you get a refund if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to go hit up Penn state for a refund. Hell they owe it to me after we've destroyed our reputation the last couple years.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
how did you get a refund if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to go hit up Penn state for a refund. Hell they owe it to me after we've destroyed our reputation the last couple years.
When you got scholarships and a lil extra loan money coming in you get a refund from the school...all the loans and scholarships go towards school fee's first, then my pockets second. TBH dont do sallie mae or any loans unless you need it bra, its a black hole you dont wanna go down im speaking from experience...only reason im taking out loans cuz my people got the paper to help me pay it.

Now I got a question...what do you know stocks and trading, and that website you posted about called scottrade...im trying to soak up knowledge like a sponge.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
When you got scholarships and a lil extra loan money coming in you get a refund from the school...all the loans and scholarships go towards school fee's first, then my pockets second. TBH dont do sallie mae or any loans unless you need it bra, its a black hole you dont wanna go down im speaking from experience...only reason im taking out loans cuz my people got the paper to help me pay it.

Now I got a question...what do you know stocks and trading, and that website you posted about called scottrade...im trying to soak up knowledge like a sponge.

its an online broker. Meaning you can buy and sell stocks on it. They charge you around 7 bucks for every transaction. And I work for an investment bank so I've studied stocks pretty extensively the last few years

Daps
Reppin
NYC

If you don't have any experience with trading or investing, you should really open up a simulated account first to learn how stocks move so that you don't make rash decisions and you get a general feel for the market. You can do this through several brokers or just head over to investopedia.com.

One question: Do you want to get into Sony just because the PS is coming out and holiday season is soon or do you feel they will outperform market expectations during this time? Im asking because the PS4 coming out and increased sales from holiday season are already priced in, so you won't necessarily see a move in either direction if they perform in line with current expectations.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
its an online broker. Meaning you can buy and sell stocks on it. They charge you around 7 bucks for every transaction. And I work for an investment bank so I've studied stocks pretty extensively the last few years
well lemme ask you this...what companies have you bought stocks with currently? whats the most you've made from selling your stocks? Im naive to the game but Im willing to invest 7000 in cash into stocks would you do the same, or spread it out in thirds among different companies?

im a college student so If I made 250 in 4 days thats wonderful to me, so what strategy should I use/ read up upon?
If you don't have any experience with trading or investing, you should really open up a simulated account first to learn how stocks move so that you don't make rash decisions and you get a general feel for the market. You can do this through several brokers or just head over to investopedia.com.

One question: Do you want to get into Sony just because the PS is coming out and holiday season is soon or do you feel they will outperform market expectations during this time? Im asking because the PS4 coming out and increased sales from holiday season are already priced in, so you won't necessarily see a move in either direction if they perform in line with current expectations.
So Im guessing the coli's version of the stock market isnt great enough to count as a simulated account. What broker do you recommend I do this with?

I feel like they will outperform expectations...Americans consumerism combined with the fact that all people will see is that the ps4 is 100 bucks less than the xbox leads me to believe that sales will be great:yeshrug:

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street

Start off with the basics: market hours, exchanges, market makers, chart types, volume, price, bid/ask. You gotta learn the lingo first.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
well lemme ask you this...what companies have you bought stocks with currently? whats the most you've made from selling your stocks? Im naive to the game but Im willing to invest 7000 in cash into stocks would you do the same, or spread it out in thirds among different companies?

I think I list on the first page of this thread either stocks I've owned in the past or currently own. The post is like a year old so it's changed a lot since then. Define your timeline. Do you want to trade and make money by next week or do you want to start a retirement fund?

How much time do you want to put into it? I follow the markets everyday. That may not be your thing. If it's not, I would recommend index funds that track the whole S&P 500 or some american index.

do you know how to read a balance sheet or income statement? You said you're in college you may want to take an accounting course.

I feel like they will outperform expectations...Americans consumerism combined with the fact that all people will see is that the ps4 is 100 bucks less than the xbox leads me to believe that sales will be great

see you have to study companies and learn things about industries. did you know that video game companies lose money on hardware sales? Sony lost money on every PS3 they sold and still do. It's all about the software. It might be game companies and stores like wal mart, best buy and amazon that actually benefit the most from high game console sales.

edit: yeah I would mess with the coli simulator before you try it in real life. wallstreetsurvivor.com has a simulator and there's plenty more out there.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
I think I list on the first page of this thread either stocks I've owned in the past or currently own. The post is like a year old so it's changed a lot since then. Define your timeline. Do you want to trade and make money by next week or do you want to start a retirement fund?next week

How much time do you want to put into it? I follow the markets everyday. That may not be your thing. If it's not, I would recommend index funds that track the whole S&P 500 or some american index.i want to follow it every day

do you know how to read a balance sheet or income statement? You said you're in college you may want to take an accounting course.its safe to say I've take a good couple, still taking more:youngsabo:

see you have to study companies and learn things about industries. did you know that video game companies lose money on hardware sales? yes Sony lost money on every PS3 they sold and still do. It's all about the software. It might be game companies and store like wal mart, best buy and amazon that actually benefit the most from high game console sales.

edit: yeah I would mess with the coli simulator before you try it in real life. wallstreetsurvivor.com has a simulator and there's plenty more out there.
ok you and googleme can help me out...look at me as a project...first things first imma go read up on it some more.:smugbiden:

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
Imma do that and get back to you before December.

http://stockcharts.com/ chart school is good study

http://learn.advfn.com/ this wouldn't hurt either

http://finviz.com/ this site is free and powerful

http://www.investopedia.com/ a lot of info here

WSJ, Bloomberg, Reuters, Marketwatch become acquainted with these news sites, always take with a grain of salt. There are some smart and dependable writers on each

This will get you into the mentality. It's up to you on how far you want to take your education.

Like PTJ said, you need to have an undying and unquenchable thirst for information and knowledge.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits