Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Locking in losses. If you’ve invested in solid companies with good fundamentals the stocks will recover. You don’t sell off the news cycle temporarily dropping the market.

why would i sell my long term/blue chip stocks:dwillhuh::francis:

it's not losses for me since most of the stocks i sold doubled since i bought them. i sold my PGE stock that had an average cost of $10, ZYNE with avg cost a little over $4 and some of my VTI ETF that i've been buying since 2014 through betterment. i made good profit from them and want more money to buy blue chip companies right now.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
why would i sell my long term/blue chip stocks:dwillhuh::francis:

it's not losses for me since most of the stocks i sold doubled since i bought them. i sold my PGE stock that had an average cost of $10, ZYNE with avg cost a little over $4 and some of my VTI ETF that i've been buying since 2014 through betterment. i made good profit from them and want more money to buy blue chip companies right now.
Yesterday wasn't a good day to sell anything.

Tug life

I stay fly like a guillemot
Daps
Reppin
Harlem World
even for double the profit? why do you say this? i've been told a different rule of thumb when it comes to selling.
I think it all comes down to timing the market which no one can really do, cause at what point would we determine if it's just a healthy pullback or a complete bear market? If i have a stock at $10 and sell, take profits and watch from the sidelines until it hits about $6 I would be able to buy much more shares at a lower price, but if it's just a simple pullback and it stays in that $9-$11 range, then it kinda made no sense to sell. In my opinion I think it all depends on each person's personal experience and strategy and the gamelan you have for that position.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I think it all comes down to timing the market which no one can really do, cause at what point would we determine if it's just a healthy pullback or a complete bear market? If i have a stock at $10 and sell, take profits and watch from the sidelines until it hits about $6 I would be able to buy much more shares at a lower price, but if it's just a simple pullback and it stays in that $9-$11 range, then it kinda made no sense to sell. In my opinion I think it all depends on each person's personal experience and strategy and the gamelan you have for that position.

growth stocks that i bought like pge, zyne, yeti, crmd will be sold once i get a return i am satisfied with. if i double or triple my money then i'm comfortable selling a growth stock. it'll take a lot for me to sell a blue chip company like disney, alibaba, wells fargo, bank of america, att, etc. since they are stable/strong companies with reliable growth and dividends. i have no problem moving money around if i see an opportunity to buy/sell or hedge. warren buffett's firm is sitting on 122 billion and jeff bezos just sold around 3 billion dollars of stock recently so like you said, it comes down to each peron's personal experience and gameplan.

ended up buying a few more shares of disney, alibaba, gdx and crmd. also bought some intel, square and tvix. hoping square takes off using the money they got from selling caviar to expand and with bitcoin surging back square can get a nice rub from that.
Little 10-15% nom noms here and there, sell, repeat :mjgrin:

good call.

Tug life

I stay fly like a guillemot
Daps
Reppin
Harlem World
growth stocks that i bought like pge, zyne, yeti, crmd will be sold once i get a return i am satisfied with. if i double or triple my money then i'm comfortable selling a growth stock. it'll take a lot for me to sell a blue chip company like disney, alibaba, wells fargo, bank of america, att, etc. since they are stable/strong companies with reliable growth and dividends. i have no problem moving money around if i see an opportunity to buy/sell or hedge. warren buffett's firm is sitting on 122 billion and jeff bezos just sold around 3 billion dollars of stock recently so like you said, it comes down to each peron's personal experience and gameplan.

ended up buying a few more shares of disney, alibaba, gdx and crmd. also bought some intel, square and tvix. hoping square takes off using the money they got from selling caviar to expand and with bitcoin surging back square can get a nice rub from that.

good call.
Every thing you said is spot on. I'd be comfortable taking double or triple my profits in a bear market. Even some of my dividend play's, because in an economic downturn some companies reduce their dividend payout. In 2008 dividend payouts reduced by 23%. But like I said before it's all about each individuals strategy.
:whoa: not sure if you know this but TVIX is not a stock to invest in but one to trade. It's so volatile that it can drop a couple dollars every week if the market and more specifically futures do well. TVIX is perfect to buy in a bear market and when the Dow futures sell off. But it is wise to get in low because just like last week 1 tweet can send it skyrocketing. It went from around $12 to $27 in about 3 days.