Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Every thing you said is spot on. I'd be comfortable taking double or triple my profits in a bear market. Even some of my dividend play's, because in an economic downturn some companies reduce their dividend payout. In 2008 dividend payouts reduced by 23%. But like I said before it's all about each individuals strategy.
:whoa: not sure if you know this but TVIX is not a stock to invest in but one to trade. It's so volatile that it can drop a couple dollars every week if the market and more specifically futures do well. TVIX is perfect to buy in a bear market and when the Dow futures sell off. But it is wise to get in low because just like last week 1 tweet can send it skyrocketing. It went from around $12 to $27 in about 3 days.
I’m not really trying to sell out of positions because of a bad day. Doesn’t matter if I’m up or down. Just because Trump tweets something out and the markets drop 1.5% or something I’m not selling for that. Those external pressures on the market will alleviate themselves.

Tug life

I stay fly like a guillemot
Daps
Reppin
Harlem World
I’m not really trying to sell out of positions because of a bad day. Doesn’t matter if I’m up or down. Just because Trump tweets something out and the markets drop 1.5% or something I’m not selling for that. Those external pressures on the market will alleviate themselves.
I'm talking about an all out financial collapse, not just a bad day. I see "bad days" as buying opportunities but if we go into a bear market recession I'm not looking to hold a depreciating stock for a couple years when I can easily sell and buy cheaper. But like I said it's all about each individuals strategy.

Now TVIX on the other hand is what I was mostly talking about in that post and you'd have to know what TVIX to understand why you trade it and not hold it for a long period of time. It's a hedge against a down market.

2e1egl3.jpg

TVIX performs the exact opposite of the dow and the S&P 500 and while I do have long term positions, I also swing trade and TVIX is a great swing.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Alibaba announcing earnings tomorrow morning before the bell.

tvix and gdx has been good to me so far but if baba pops then it'll be the cherry on top. analyst and investors are fluffing it up to have a good earnings call so hopefully it comes through.

gonna be a rough month. i should've waited a little longer before buying and adding positions. i got greedy and saw the 5-8% pullback and wanted in with some companies. looking at some options with PGE and possibly uber:patrice:just not sure how far the bottom is for these two. i feel more confident with PGE making a recovery.