Boebert defends vote against veterans’ health benefits, saying she didn’t want to spend ‘$600 billion forever’

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) defended her vote against bipartisan legislation that expanded health benefits for veterans, saying Tuesday she didn’t want to spend “$600 billion forever.”

Boebert faced off in a general election debate against her Democratic opponent, Trisha Calvarese. The Democrat pressed Boebert to explain why she didn’t support the landmark “Sergeant First Class Heath Robinson Honoring Our PACT Act,” which expanded benefits for millions of veterans who were exposed to toxins during service and are suffering

“If you’re going to take care of folks, what about our veterans, Lauren? You know, because you’re talking about lots of cuts and how to pay for things. I think if you’re going to be America first, you can’t put veterans last,” Calvarese said to Boebert during the lunchtime debate in Colorado’s 4th Congressional District.

“I do just want to point to your vote that — you voted against care for veterans exposed to cancer-causing toxins and burn pits during war,” Calvarese added.

Boebert responded, saying, “When it comes to our veterans. I have absolutely put them first. In my first year, we were in the minority, and unfortunately not all the legislation was great.”

The Republican said she voted against some massive omnibus bills that might have supported veterans, because “I’m not voting for something that we have 22 hours to read that’s over 2,000 pages long.”

The House and Senate each passed the PACT Act in July 2022, and Biden signed it into law a short time later. All Democrats and a majority of Republicans in both chambers voted for the legislation. Boebert was one of 88 House Republicans who voted against it.

The legislation expands eligibility for Department of Veterans Affairs health care to veterans who served in the post-9/11 era and creates a framework for establishing presumptions of service connections related to toxic exposures. The bill also expands presumptions for 23 burn pit-related illnesses.

When Boebert then mentioned other work she’s done to help veterans, Calvarese said, “The folks in this room are not — they’re not foolish.”

Boebert cut in, saying, “I’m not spending $600 billion forever because we couldn’t get a couple pieces of language right in legislation. Just because a bill is on the floor does not make it the only option.

“I fought so we could have amendments on the House floor. When that bill first came up, I was in the minority, and amendments were closed on the House floor. I could not give a Colorado voice to the men and women who have served in our military on that legislation.”

Before the PACT Act was signed, some Republicans objected to its $400 billion mandatory spending, which would not have been subject to annual appropriations review. After facing tremendous public pressure — including from high-profile allies such as comedian Jon Stewart, who joined veterans camped out on the U.S. Capitol steps — the Senate agreed to three cost-controlling amendments on the bill, which led a number of Republicans to back it. Eleven Republican senators still voted against it.

The Hill has contacted the Boebert campaign for comment.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Republican said she voted against some massive omnibus bills that might have supported veterans, because “I’m not voting for something that we have 22 hours to read that’s over 2,000 pages long.”
she's not entirely wrong about this bullshyt :yeshrug:

this is how nancy pelosi gets wealthy, while the country goes 35 trillion dollars in debt :snoop: that shyt is gonna collapse on someone's generation of grandkids. it's just a matter of when

they don't need to raise taxes; they need to stop fukking spending so much

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
And there’s still people on here who believe we’ll get reparations if republicans control everything. :skip:
I don't think they think that. They think that if the Dems lose the black vote then they'll be forced to give American Black folks what they demand. And then if the Dems ever get reelected they'll have to follow through with that promise. It's a simple idea but too simple for something like reparations.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

this is how nancy pelosi gets wealthy, while the country goes 35 trillion dollars in debt :snoop: that shyt is gonna collapse on someone's generation of grandkids. it's just a matter of when

you jumbled a bunch of crap to justify lazy bullshyt.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Not that it should matter because you can find this anywhere, but I used to intern in a state senate.....legislator don't read bills, most of the time. If they are the sponsor, co-sponsor or are selling it, they'll read it. Any other time, they'll have their staff write up memos. That's literally all I did. I was at a much small state senate and 1 out of 4ish staff members. Boebert should have at least 6 ppl on staff including the staff of any committees she's on. She would also have access to the bill sponsors many memos and notes about this bill (it would be insane if they didn't problem cheat sheets). Nobody expects Congressmen to read thousands of pages of legalese, especially her GED ass.

Hoebert lying.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you jumbled a bunch of crap to justify lazy bullshyt.
Not that it should matter because you can find this anywhere, but I used to intern in a state senate.....legislator don't read bills, most of the time. If they are the sponsor, co-sponsor or are selling it, they'll read it. Any other time, they'll have their staff write up memos. That's literally all I did. I was at a much small state senate and 1 out of 4ish staff members. Boebert should have at least 6 ppl on staff including the staff of any committees she's on. She would also have access to the bill sponsors many memos and notes about this bill (it would be insane if they didn't problem cheat sheets). Nobody expects Congressmen to read thousands of pages of legalese, especially her GED ass.

Hoebert lying.
i wouldn't piss on lauren boebert if she was on fire

that doesnt mean that 35 trillion worth of debt, and zero accountability for spending for these criminals in DC, isn't a problem. i want a fukking social security check in my 60s :yeshrug:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
legislator don't read bills, most of the time. If they are the sponsor, co-sponsor or are selling it, they'll read it. Any other time, they'll have their staff write up memos. That's literally all I did.
People should realize this by now. Your representatives are dumb fukks. I wrote so many white/info papers. Even the bills they’re sponsoring they don’t play a part in crafting. That’s on staff, advocates for the bill and special interests.

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
I don't think they think that. They think that if the Dems lose the black vote then they'll be forced to give American Black folks what they demand. And then if the Dems ever get reelected they'll have to follow through with that promise. It's a simple idea but too simple for something like reparations.
That’s what they think, but it makes no sense considering the republicans have openly said that they’ll make it harder for democrats to get elected and make laws if Trump get elected

Wepa Man

Ramblings Of An Angry Old Man
Supporter
Daps
Beetlejuice.jpg

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps

She has staff doesn't she? :skip:

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
And there’s still people on here who believe we’ll get reparations if republicans control everything. :skip:
You think the democrats will ever give black folks reparations? Cuz last time i checked somebody asked Kamala about reparations and she said .....