Bobbi Althoff on the set of “Not Like Us” music video

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Fair, but you're describing the difference between a "pure" hip-hop/rap act, and a pop star. Drake is closer to Madonna than Cole is to Drake, in terms of desired reach/impact. Pop stars jack styles; that's what makes them popular (on a global scale)

I disagree. Drake is certainly a pop star in the sense that mainstream rap is pop music...but he presents himself as a rapper who sings, which isn't unique. He entered rap as a conscious underground rapper. He was co-signed by Wayne as a rapper, he's worked with multiple legendary rappers, he constantly cosigns street rap and views himself as the GOAT. He has also engaged in multiple rap battles. I don't think that's comparable to what Madonna does when she shifts from vogue to techno.

Drake spends a lot of time focused on being taken seriously as a rapper who respects the culture. The problem is that because he's...not like us, he doesn't have a cultural home base or center to branch out from and instead just imitates black regional cultures while making a mockery of them.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
shyt there’s a whole lot of folks who shouldn’t even be around. That’s what happens when we don’t own nor control shyt. That’s been an issue since 1619 if you really wanna go there.

I just find it funny how plenty of artists who ain't about shyt don’t get this level of scrutiny, but somehow the one artist whose actually promoting unity in the community, putting on folks from the community who truly define the culture and would never get this kind of attention from the mainstream, and you got nikkas writing whole think pieces and running to conclusions off a 10 second clip that the actual person being scrutinized is nowhere to be found on lol.

I could go on about how miserable and gullible this internet shyt has made us but that’s a whole nother rant.

I mean damn, nikka invited all of Compton, nothing but Black folks in the footage we’ve seen so far. But yall focused on some white broad who we don’t even know if she was invited by Kendrick, don’t even know if she’s in the video or not, shyt do we even know if that clip is from the day of the shoot?
:dead:
In this case the “unity” is people coming together to ridicule another man as an “outsider” and pedophile.

Can’t take the “unity” “black culture” angle when this “movement” is producing images like this

:francis:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I'm gonna break this down for ya bare with for a sec....

Kendrick is droppin the video for "Not Like Us" within maybe the next week or so.

The video is going to go dumb and have millions upon millions of views.

"Not Like Us" is gonna continue to ring off in the streets and stay atop the charts...

Nothing anyone says about some dumb little white bytch showing up to the set is going to CHANGE any of that..... Now are you mad or are you mad?

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
In this case the “unity” is people coming together to ridicule another man as an “outsider” and pedophile.

Can’t take the “unity” “black culture” angle when this “movement” is producing images like this

:francis:

The same man that told Kendrick he was “rapping like he’s trying to free the slaves?”
:mjlol:

Just say you don’t fukk with Kendrick for whatever reason and leave it at that. That’s a better angle than pretending you have a valid argument here. Funny thing is there are better arguments to be made if you want to make him out to be a hypocrite, this just isn't one of them.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The same man that told Kendrick he was “rapping like he’s trying to free the slaves?”
:mjlol:

Just say you don’t fukk with Kendrick for whatever reason and leave it at that. That’s a better angle than pretending you have a valid argument here. Funny thing is there are better arguments to be made if you want to make him out to be a hypocrite, this just isn't one of them.
Don’t dislike anyone, if anything i been a membet of the Drake hater club for years.

Just calling it for what it is.

The “black power/cultutre” angle is just marketing, just like Drakes southern accent.

It’s kinda why that “freeing the slaves” line works cause kendrick done turned that shyt into his gimmick, but if you really check his moves he’s no less “industry” or “commercial” than Drake :yeshrug:

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
One of the closest things to tourism economy we’ll get. Albeit Complex offices got like 2 black people in them