Bob Marley: One Love Biopic Starring Kingsley Ben-Adir & Lashana Lynch (Discussion Thread)

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The family was heavily involved with the making of the movie, so of course, it's going to present a kind of PR image. No hate from me, I just don't watch biopics. The last one I saw was maybe one of the worst movies I have ever seen, the Pac one in 2017.
This was way way way better than Pac and Biggies movies. This was actually good, just limited in scope

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Saw it Sunday.

7/10. Would’ve been a 6/10 but the actors playing Bob and Rita 100% brought their A Game.

They did a “Greatest Hits” version of Bob’s life when they should have just done a 2 1/2 hour biopic but they tried to have it both ways with focusing on one portion of his life but having those weird flashbacks.

Also did the assassin who tried to kill Bob really show back up in real life asking for forgiveness? And did Bob actually forgive him? After dude shot his WIFE IN THE HEAD?!?!

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it Sunday.

7/10. Would’ve been a 6/10 but the actors playing Bob and Rita 100% brought their A Game.

They did a “Greatest Hits” version of Bob’s life when they should have just done a 2 1/2 hour biopic but they tried to have it both ways with focusing on one portion of his life but having those weird flashbacks.

Also did the assassin who tried to kill Bob really show back up in real life asking for forgiveness? And did Bob actually forgive him? After dude shot his WIFE IN THE HEAD?!?!
The assassin part coming back didn't really happen far as I know, at least that hasn't ever been told publically. I had previously heard the dudes who shot up the place was killed shortly after but I don't know how true that is either.

I agree the movie should have been longer. There was so much they left out. But the lead actors really did a great job.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
The assassin part coming back didn't really happen far as I know, at least that hasn't ever been told publically. I had previously heard the dudes who shot up the place was killed shortly after but I don't know how true that is either.

I agree the movie should have been longer. There was so much they left out. But the lead actors really did a great job.
Saw it Sunday.

I wish they had done a Malcolm X style 3 1/2 hour biopic, that would’ve done bob more justice

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I wish they had done a Malcolm X style 3 1/2 hour biopic, that would’ve done bob more justice

3 1/2 hour biopics aren’t getting made nowadays unless its a Netflix movie or your name is Christopher Nolan. I agree that Bob Marley deserved that sort of epic runtime but there’s not a black director out at the moment with the juice to get that done.

That being said, the producers, the Marley family, and the director should’ve known this and just focused strictly on the Exodus era instead of trying to have it both ways. I like the IDEA of what they tried to do with the visions of Marley’s childhood and his running from what we think is his father and it turning out to be Hallie Sallasie, but a director like Spike Lee would have REALLY made that resonate whereas with how they did it in this film it kind of fell flat.

There was a lot to like about this movie but it didn’t come together as whole, which is a shame because there’s really good and deep material in Bob’s life to make a classic film. I also feel like Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer got shafted something serious. Again i get the movie is about Bob Marley, but the film makes it seem like Bob only needed Rita and Rastafarianism to become a complete artist when Bunny and Peter had a LOT to do with Bob’s artistic development.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
3 1/2 hour biopics aren’t getting made nowadays unless its a Netflix movie or your name is Christopher Nolan. I agree that Bob Marley deserved that sort of epic runtime but there’s not a black director out at the moment with the juice to get that done.

That being said, the producers, the Marley family, and the director should’ve known this and just focused strictly on the Exodus era instead of trying to have it both ways. I like the IDEA of what they tried to do with the visions of Marley’s childhood and his running from what we think is his father and it turning out to be Hallie Sallasie, but a director like Spike Lee would have REALLY made that resonate whereas with how they did it in this film it kind of fell flat.

There was a lot to like about this movie but it didn’t come together as whole, which is a shame because there’s really good and deep material in Bob’s life to make a classic film. I also feel like Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer got shafted something serious. Again i get the movie is about Bob Marley, but the film makes it seem like Bob only needed Rita and Rastafarianism to become a complete artist when Bunny and Peter had a LOT to do with Bob’s artistic development.
Also wanted them to dive deeper into Bobs womanizing,

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The actually did soot some scenes with Bunny and Peter but they got cut. I don't know why. I hope we get an extended version. If we do I will check it out.

I liked the flashbacks with Bob meeting Rita and them recording Simmer Down. I feel like they should have shown a bit more from that era with them first getting known.

I feel the film was a nice glimpse into his life and specifically his recording process, but there was just so much more they didn't cover.

But Ben Kingsley really impressed me. I was pretty strong against him getting the role when it was first announced and even when I saw the trailer, but he really did embody Bob and was perfect for the part.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Somebody explain the toe thing to me.

His toe got bad, then his leg got bad and he refused to amputate

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Somebody explain the toe thing to me.

His toe got bad, then his leg got bad and he refused to amputate

The skin cancer started under the nail of his big toe and the doctors told him he needed to get it amputated to stop the spread. He refused because he said it would impact his career and because Rastafarians don’t believe in amputation (that’s not actually the case but yeah). As a result, it spread throughout his body and ultimately killed him.

His death was completely avoidable smh.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
The skin cancer started under the nail of his big toe and the doctors told him he needed to get it amputated to stop the spread. He refused because he said it would impact his career and because Rastafarians don’t believe in amputation (that’s not actually the case but yeah). As a result, it spread throughout his body and ultimately killed him.

His death was completely avoidable smh.
I understand.