Bob Marley: One Love Biopic Starring Kingsley Ben-Adir & Lashana Lynch (Discussion Thread)

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Got dragged in to watching it, 'because people know my grift with Bob Marley and what his legacy has been molded into, as well as my disdain for Bob's character in regards to how the Wailer's split came to be. Plus I prefer Peter Tosh and Bunny's songs over the majority of Bob's shyt if we keeping it a buck, but all three were legendary reggae song writers who made no bad songs to the point I'd equate them over the fukking beatles in terms of impactful shyt.
Feel free to join the long lists of cacs who wanna fight me for taking this view I've had for nearing 3 decades now, if you disagree
And I was actually sorta impressed once I shut my mind off and watched it without critiquing it.
It was entertaining.
Homey did a serviceable job with Bob's dialect and while I still stand on the fact that Ziggy Marley is a lazy c00n who sold his Birthright to the same people who modelled his Father's legacy into a commodity to be profited from, with this flick, it was actually entertaining in most parts. They even touched on Bob's serial infidelity although they did it way more respectfully than what was actually happening between him and Rita, for obvious reasons.

Outside of the insult that "We couldn't find no jamaicans to act in this movie" bullshyt Ziggy's stupid ass was pumping up with the director and the fact that this movie focuses on a part of Bob's life where he was front and centre and not part of the LEGENDARY Wailers that he shared the microphone with both Peter and Bunny for a solid chunk of his career before being pushed solo.....the movie was decent to good.
Heavy handed in some parts, but overall, I wasn't mad at it at all. Might go back to watch it again if a particular big batty Jamaican woman would accompany in the theatre. :steviej:
But yeah, I rate this a LEGENDS ALBUM Out of 10.
A carefully curated list of all the 'feel good' Bob Marley bullshyt that Peter Tosh would have hit him over the head with his Gun rifle guitar if he were to try and sneak that bullshyt onto a Wailers album when they were a group.
The legends album features absolutely NONE of the hard hitting Bob Marley songs which speak of the struggle he endured, to appease Cacs who wanted to limit his message and scope to "HEY MON, SMOKE A JOINT N BE IRIE MON. DOH WORRY BOUT DI SUFFERING OF BLACK PEOPLE WHEN 3 LITTLE BIRDS DEH PON YA DOOR STEP SINGING SWEET SONGS OF MELODIES PURE AND TRUE, MON. ALL IS IRE. BUY SOMETHING WID HIM FACE ON IT AND DON'T LOOK FOR NO OTHER ALBUMS FROM HIM, MON. DIS IS IT. BOMBOCLOCK
Also. No talk of the CIA and I'm sure that was something Ziggy would fight you in the streets on camera to uphold since Bob Marley famously had a dis trust for most politics after his various involvements with that organization looking to trample his message, amonst the many black leaders and influencers they couldn't control.

Last edited:

Address_Unknown

Daps
The thing that struck me the most was some unfiltered Rastafarianism. Type of thing I'm used to hearing at home, uncles and such, and of course online, but never on the big screen.​

Bit confused by this.
What do you mean by that?
And also, let's not forget the fact that Ziggy, was a happy, smiley c00n, counting his money while fully allowing the producers/studio to use an abundance of UK/British actors because "Nobody could play bob at this time" according to them idiots. I mean, the lady that played Rita was SOLID and growing up Bob (Sean Paul Cousin I think it was?) was pretty good too, even though the scene of him playing guitar at home when he was young for his crying mother was so fukking schupid, 'cause everybody who knows, knows that is Peter Tosh show Bob how to play Guitar during their youth that lead to the Wailing Wailers being formed during their doo-wop days.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Bit confused by this.
What do you mean by that?

If you don't grow up with this stuff, is easy to miss.

Around the 32:00 mark of the film, Rita explains the whole I and I, not "me and you".

the-start.jpg

Then on the beach itself, where the film says Bob discovers Rasta...

"The prophet Marcus Garvey said, look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King. Our God is not a white man with blonde hair and blue eyes. OUR GOD IS BLACK! Jah Rastafari"

addtext-com-MTIw-Nj-M1-MTg3-MDQ.jpg

That's the most blatant aspect of it, but little things are all throughout the film.

I was kinda surprised given how they didn't really delve into more of Bob's very explicit Pan-African politics.

Address_Unknown

Daps
If you don't grow up with this stuff, is easy to miss.

Around the 32:00 mark of the film, Rita explains the whole I and I, not "me and you".

the-start.jpg

Then on the beach itself, where the film says Bob discovers Rasta...

"The prophet Marcus Garvey said, look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King. Our God is not a white man with blonde hair and blue eyes. OUR GOD IS BLACK! Jah Rastafari"

addtext-com-MTIw-Nj-M1-MTg3-MDQ.jpg

That's the most blatant aspect of it, but little things are all throughout the film.

I was kinda surprised given how they didn't really delve into more of Bob's very explicit Pan-African politics.​

Once again, I still maintain that this movie was a visual representation of the Legends album in which the people that made it, who profit mostly from Bob being a Product and not a prophet, didn't want to dilute the "Feel good, everything is Ire Mon" vision that that HORRID album wishes to exemplify as Bob's greatest work.

But you really opening my eyes to this shyt, bruh. :feedme: Give other examples since this is news to me and I'm always interested in learning.​

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Got dragged in to watching it, 'because people know my grift with Bob Marley and what his legacy has been molded into, as well as my disdain for Bob's character in regards to how the Wailer's split came to be. Plus I prefer Peter Tosh and Bunny's songs over the majority of Bob's shyt if we keeping it a buck, but all three were legendary reggae song writers who made no bad songs to the point I'd equate them over the fukking beatles in terms of impactful shyt.
Feel free to join the long lists of cacs who wanna fight me for taking this view I've had for nearing 3 decades now, if you disagree
And I was actually sorta impressed once I shut my mind off and watched it without critiquing it.
It was entertaining.
Homey did a serviceable job with Bob's dialect and while I still stand on the fact that Ziggy Marley is a lazy c00n who sold his Birthright to the same people who modelled his Father's legacy into a commodity to be profited from, with this flick, it was actually entertaining in most parts. They even touched on Bob's serial infidelity although they did it way more respectfully than what was actually happening between him and Rita, for obvious reasons.

Outside of the insult that "We couldn't find no jamaicans to act in this movie" bullshyt Ziggy's stupid ass was pumping up with the director and the fact that this movie focuses on a part of Bob's life where he was front and centre and not part of the LEGENDARY Wailers that he shared the microphone with both Peter and Bunny for a solid chunk of his career before being pushed solo.....the movie was decent to good.
Heavy handed in some parts, but overall, I wasn't mad at it at all. Might go back to watch it again if a particular big batty Jamaican woman would accompany in the theatre. :steviej:
A carefully curated list of all the 'feel good' Bob Marley bullshyt that Peter Tosh would have hit him over the head with his Gun rifle guitar if he were to try and sneak that bullshyt onto a Wailers album when they were a group.
The legends album features absolutely NONE of the hard hitting Bob Marley songs which speak of the struggle he endured, to appease Cacs who wanted to limit his message and scope to "HEY MON, SMOKE A JOINT N BE IRIE MON. DOH WORRY BOUT DI SUFFERING OF BLACK PEOPLE WHEN 3 LITTLE BIRDS DEH PON YA DOOR STEP SINGING SWEET SONGS OF MELODIES PURE AND TRUE, MON. ALL IS IRE. BUY SOMETHING WID HIM FACE ON IT AND DON'T LOOK FOR NO OTHER ALBUMS FROM HIM, MON. DIS IS IT. BOMBOCLOCK
Also. No talk of the CIA and I'm sure that was something Ziggy would fight you in the streets on camera to uphold since Bob Marley famously had a dis trust for most politics after his various involvements with that organization looking to trample his message, amonst the many black leaders and influencers they couldn't control.

This nikka chose violence :pachaha:

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
It was entertaining.

Damn!!!! Tell'em why u mad.
I'm gonna do some reading up on those stories though, sounds interesting.

But yeah this is some "Mid" like someone said previously it's just the Legend album made in to a movie.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
The weird flash scene dream sequence where Bob is being chased by who we believed was his father is the reason I'm not watching this again.