Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The point of Kennedy is juxtaposing what Nucky (a powerful politician and astute businessman when we first meet him) failed to achieve. I think it's perfectly worth the time (as are the flashbacks, which many seem to hate)

Nucky achieved extreme wealth (in this episode Mrs Rothstein recounts the ridiculously lavish party Nuck threw in the roaring 20s) yet today, he's alone. No kids, an estranged wife, a brother shipped across the country.... what does he have left? Meanwhile Joe IS wealthy, yet through all his travels, he goes home to his wife, fukks the shyt out of her, and goes back out to make more money. The Brahmin still look down on him, but they don't shyt on him like Nuck and since Joe's merit keeps him in the room, he's able to make the best of it, just like we've seen Nuck do countless times in the past.

Why couldn't Nuck be in his shoes? Why ISN'T Nuck in his shoes?

Because Jimmy fukked up the plans and fled princeton for the war. He tried to groom a kennedy but got a molested ptsd gangster

Daps
Because Jimmy fukked up the plans and fled princeton for the war. He tried to groom a kennedy but got a molested ptsd gangster

Jimmy was a knock, but Jimmy wasn't a Thompson. Regarding things that happened prior to the series began (which is when Jimmy went awry), I'd say the loss of Mabel was a bigger setback.

Even still, when the series opens, Nuck is AC treasurer, and has important, powerful political ties throughout the country. He still has time to start a family. He was still somewhat true to his Irish heritage. Unlike Joe, however, he either didn't mind, or didn't see how being an Irish bootlegger looked to the outside world. To Nuck, ink on a paper making alcohol illegal didn't change morality, so he had no qualms getting rich on the other side, whereas to Joe that's all that mattered. It's the difference between a criminal and a businessman. Now with liquor on the verge of becoming legal, he needs to work with businessmen who view him as nothing more than a sophisticated thug.

To me, Nuck got blinded by the enormous amounts of cash he could make. His mind was fine til the dough hit it and told him that the mo' it :yeshrug:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One complaint I have is that we were never shown how bootlegging and not being "half a gangster" stained Nuck's reputation. We should have seen how Nucky's descent changed him from the kind of guy who is a kingmaker in a presidential campaign and meets with Andrew Mellon to someone that Joe Kennedy will barely do business with.

I assume that political people stopped fukking with Nucky because his reputation kept getting worse, but we should have seen that. We should have seen Nucky choosing a life of crime over a life of being a political fixer, instead of having it implied.

emoney

custom user title
Daps
What does an escaped convict with a brain tumor have to do with the Great Depression?

They intro Chalky White as a prisoner being given orders and doing back breaking labour. Basically establishing the fact that his situation has changed after all these years. Him escaping with the other convict and breaking and entering into that White family's home demanding money also highlights this.

trollol

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we have the same debate every season

this show is the epitome of good, not great... and frustratingly knocking on the door of greatness

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
can't believe this is the same show that had nucky flipping lobsters n telling jimmy how his dad decided to fukk his underage mother, in public

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just realized they probably replaced Bumpy Johnson with Narcisse due to name confusion. Luciano trying to muscle Narcisse is more or less exactly how the war between Bumpy and the mob started (it was dutch Schultz trying to muscle him, but for the story it had to be Lucky). Now Narcisse is going to clap back hard.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad Bumpy Johnson's getting mentioned in here, cuz he was in cahoots with Luciano, which ended Dutch Schultz chapter. But, they most likely won't get included in this rushed season :beli:

Modsbanme

Banned
Daps
I just realized they probably replaced Bumpy Johnson with Narcisse due to name confusion. Luciano trying to muscle Narcisse is more or less exactly how the war between Bumpy and the mob started (it was dutch Schultz trying to muscle him, but for the story it had to be Lucky). Now Narcisse is going to clap back hard.
Wrong that doesn't happen yet. The Dr is himself, Lucky went up there on his own to create more tension between the new boss and Dr. He is making it look like Joe is being unreasonable and greedy and Lucky will stop everything if the Dr works with them going forward at the same rate he had with Joe Masseria . You see he had Bugsy shoot the spot up and there are no witness alive to dispute him. Joe only used Italian killers to do his jobs. Lucky playing the long game. Now I was thinking that Chalky could broker a deal with Lucky and Meyer and run things for them up there since I'm sure they could clear his name and give him a new identity since he on the run. Meyer knows Chalky from season 1 and would vouch for him.