Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread

Marciano

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of the worst endings, IMO. Did the ending kinda remind anybody else besides me of Carlito's Way? Trying to get out of the business, tie up all loose ends & almost making it out only to be gunned down by somebody from their past?

I guess HBO wanted BE's writers to make it full circle, Nucky sold his soul on that boardwalk & then died on that boardwalk.

Tommy Darodomy? That shyt was so gay smh. BTW, Nucky wasn't shot below the eye, the last shot just made blood hit that spot.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
fitting how jimmy and nucky both got it below the left eye.

Which is why I say Jimmy getting killed at the end of season 2 is why the ending wasnt as satisfying as it could be.

We really didnt feel the loss of Jimmy the past few seasons (from Nucky's point of view). Now out of nowhere his kid kills him.

Imagine if the 2nd to last season featured Jimmy's death instead.

“This is the only way we could have ended, isn’t it?” - Jimmy Darmody
and then Nucky's "You dont know me James. You never did. I am not seeking forgiveness"

Imagine that shyt being heard in the background (voice over) as Tommy is thinking about killing Nucky?

It would have given it that emotional punch.

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
What makes the Tommy Darmody twist so stupid is how they tried to pretend jimmy didn't exsist for 2+ seasons after they killed him off. Then tried to bring it back full circle in a vain attempt to show how Nuckys actions haunt him. Even then did they even mention Jimmy once this season. The writers tried to use Gillian as the focal point instead of revisiting Jimmy.

Also the Dr. Narcisse shooting was so unsatisfying. The dr was a good character but i hated him and wanted him to die. It felt like they just killed him off to tie loose ends. Like "Hey, theres still this character left to resolve....., lets just shoot a scene killing him and the end."

terrible

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I still can't believe it's all over. That ending was predictable and I think they should have kept going for a couple more seasons at least. Skipping ahead really screwed this show imo. I was really disappointed to find out that AR died off screen and we missed Luciano's kidnapping and stabbing as well as Capone's rise to power.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Unlike HBO’s Sopranos finale when 12.3 million fans thought their TV sets went out, there probably weren’t any fists banging on TV sets at the end of Boardwalk Empire’s series finale, “El Dorado,” tonight.

nucky-boardwalk-horiz-saunders.jpg
In an ending that left no dangling strings, “El Dorado,” written byBoardwalk creator Terence Winter and scribe Howard Korder and directed by exec producer Tim Van Patten, closed the book on the life of Atlantic City kingpin-bootlegger Enoch “Nucky” Thompson (Steve Buscemi): Shot three times on the boardwalk by Tommy Darmody (Travis Tope), the teenage son of Jimmy Darmody, Nucky’s former protégé. In the season 2 finale, “To The Lost,” Nucky shot Jimmy after being double crossed, a moment which jarred fans. In a scene prior to Jimmy’s death, his mother, whore madame Gillian Darmody (Gretchen Moll) tells toddler Tommy, “You’re going to be a big man in this city one day.” She wasn’t kidding: Tommy lived to avenge his father’s life. Winter jumped from 1924 in season 4 to 1931 in season 5, given how it was a pivotal year at the dawn of the Depression: Al Capone (Stephen Graham) goes to jail, and Charlie Luciano (Vincent Piazza) forms the mob commission. What better time than ever to watch Nucky’s demise.

RECENT COMMENTS
ADD COMMENT
1 Person Commenting

the truth
10 mins
This is a series that will be greatly missed as it continued to improve with each season....

“This ending was so much more personal and more satisfying, Nucky is the cause of his own undoing, it’s an act of betrayal come full circle,” exclaims Winter.

tommy-darmody.jpg
As viewers, we didn’t see Tommy with a gun all season. Tommy casually wiggled his way into Nucky’s circle under the alias of Joe Harper, a do-good, lost, innocent kid. Nucky, ever the mentor, threw $1,000 at the young “Joe” in the pen-ultimate episode last Sunday, telling the kid to avoid the gangster life completely.

terry-howard.jpg
For Winter, the series finale shocker was poetic justice, with no other ending as an alternative. “Howard, Tim and I came to this conclusion at the end of season 4,” said Winter. The actual inspiration for Nucky Thompson, Atlantic City political boss-racketeer Nucky Johnson, didn’t die in 1931, rather lived until he was 85, dying in the Atlantic County Convalescent Home in Northfield, New Jersey. In the wake of the roaring 20s, the real Nucky served a four-year prison term during the early 1940s for tax evasion, then worked in sales for Richfield Oil Company and Renault Winery.

“There’s the true to life version of Nucky’s end where he went off into the sunset and into obscurity, but our Nucky isn’t Nucky Johnson, and this ending felt like the more dramatic choice, the better choice in wrapping up his life,” said Winter.

Watching the series finale “El Dorado” is akin to observing an elephant on his death march. The episode begins with Nucky taking a swim in the ocean, his first in 45 years. It’s a foreshadow for his death, particularly when Nucky later tells his brother Eli (Shea Whigham), “I went past the surf line,
gillian-nucky-saunders.jpg
further than I ever did as a kid…Keep going until you can’t go back; I swear there isn’t any choice. You can’t know until you pass it, then it’s too late.” Nucky meets Margaret and Eli, making that they’re both squared away financially. Nucky cryptically tells his brother, “You and I won’t see each other again.” Nucky makes good with Gillian Darmody at the insane asylum; a woman he was much closer to, then we ever thought: As a young police officer, Nucky tried to save her from being a vagrant on the boardwalk. But for the advancement of his career, Nucky trades her into the Commodore where she becomes his concubine. Nucky returns to the club to collect his belongings and isn’t gunned down by Luciano’s guys.

All of which begs the question: If Nucky wasn’t shot, then where was he headed?

Says Winter, “Nucky was probably going to rent that apartment at the El Dorado in Manhattan and live the life of a retired businessman. Maybe those plans would last two weeks before he got himself in trouble again. But he wasn’t going to have a life with Margaret. From the look on their faces, both knew it was the final goodbye.”

While Winter was beholden to Nucky’s death as the absolute ending, there were several options in which he could have met his end. In the first two seasons, there was an Eliot Ness-Al Capone-like feud set up between Federal Prohibition Van Alden (Michael Shannon) and Nucky. Van Alden went on the lam after season 2, ultimately becoming Capone’s lackey along with Nucky’s brother Eli. Fans wondered whether the square-jawed guy was making his way back to Nucky. During their limited scenes in the series finale, we think for a moment that Charlie Luciano, Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel are plotting to gun Nucky, but alas they take down Harlem kingpin Valentin Narcisse (Jeffrey Wright).

“Yes, these (options) are all on the table. ‘What happens when you go down this road and what are the permeations of the story when it is played out. There’s an easy version where Van Alden went off in the sunset, but ultimately we dismissed him,” said Winter. However, one of the takeways from working with Sopranos creator David Chase, that lingered with Winter, was the storytelling rule of thumb to “dismiss the first five things that occur to you” in the writers’ room in order to keep the story fresh.

richard-harrow.jpg
When it came to upsetting fans with the murders of the their favorites Jimmy Darmody (Michael Pitt) and sniper-man Richard Harrow (Jack Huston) at the end of season 4, Winter has no regrets. “There’s not a thing I would do differently creatively. How many times can I have Richard Harrow retire and come out of mothballs again (to shoot)?” says the Boardwalk Empire creator.

During the course of the series, Van Patten has called Boardwalk Empire executive producer Martin Scorsese’s notes as “precision bombing. He identified problems right away,” in the script. But in the case of the series finale, “he had little input in the sense of notes,” says Winter, “He loved the entire season, and was a cheerleader.” After their work on Boardwalk Empire and the Oscar-nominated feature The Wolf of Wall Street, Winter (who wrote the latter) and Scorsese are teaming up again on HBO’s untitled Rock n’ Roll drama, which they’re exec producing with Mick Jagger. The pilot was shot this summer and “Marty is editing as we speak,” says Winter. The show hasn’t been given a title or a series order yet, but Winter says “I’m meeting with writers in a couple of weeks to see what season 1 might be.” Whether Korder and Van Patten will join him on the series, Winter says, “I don’t know what the future is with them, they’re both resting right now.” The untitled series, set against the sex, drugs and rock n’ roll of 1970s New York, follows record label president Richie Finestra (Bobby Cannavale) who is looking for the next sound. Unlike Nucky Thompson, “Finestra isn’t based on anyone in particular, the story is an amalgam time period,” explains Winter.

sopranos-ending.jpg
Boardwalk
easily begs comparison to HBO’s Sopranos: Boardwalk was the big, period epic gangster show intended to carry the mobster genre torch from the Chase series, and it was being steered by Winter and Van Patten, both part of Chase’s creative posse. The last we saw of the Sopranos was wolfing down onion rings in a New Jersey diner, surrounded by a number of suspicious types who they potentially wronged, and listening to Journey’s “Can’t Stop Believin’” on the jukebox. When the screen suddenly cuts to black, Americans didn’t know if the family lived or died. Tack it up to Chase’s means to defying storytelling convention. What merited Tony Sorpano to earn an avant garde ending, while Nucky Thompson’s received a Shakespearan one, Winter, explains, “We didn’t set out to avoid being ambiguous, we just made a different creative choice and didn’t haveSopranos on our mind.”

“David (Chase) didn’t often engage in wish fulfillment for the audience. If it didn’t work for him for the storyline, he didn’t feel obligated to pay things off. I don’t necessarily feel obligated, but I enjoy setup and payoff,” Winter told Deadline about the difference between his style and Chase’s.

al-capone.jpg
If anything Boardwalk Empire defied the guns, blood and cannoli tropes of the gangster genre: Humanizing hoods, read Al Capone’s tender goodbye to his deaf son in “El Dorado” and serving up stylized meditations on life, i.e. Nucky telling Joe Harper what death feels like in the penultimate series episode “Friendless Child” after watching his cronies get gunned down by Luciano and Lansky.

“The luxury of doing a long-running series is adding the smaller moments and the time we spend digging into these characters,” says Winter, “prior to Boardwalk Empire, most audiences knew Al Capone as this big blustery guy with a baseball bat from the movie The Untouchables.”

But what truly stoked Winter in tackling Boardwalk Empire, which was based on Nelson Johnson’s novel Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times and Corruption of Atlantic City, was the fact that America hasn’t changed dramatically since the 1920s. “We’re still debating birth control, there are guys still coming home from war, and the drug business today in many ways is what it was like during the days of Prohibition.”

Says Winter, “If you hold Boardwalk Empire up to today, we’re still debating a lot of these issues.”

:whoo:

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
If things were right we would have only saw Chalky's and Van Alden's death this season. I realize they had to fit everything in one condensed season but the Tommy situation and the issues with Luciano could have been saved for later seasons if it would have continued. This felt rushed and I did not like the ending at all. Did they just bump Tommy up in age or were supposed to believe he was 12 years old. And Nucky who knew his father from the start was not supposed to have a clue at all that it was Jimmy's son. When we the audience pretty much knew it from the start.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
i gotta say, and this isnt even a criticism

but having watched breaking bad and boardwalk all the way thru, and then to get to their ending, makes me reconsider if the sopranos ending was actually the fukkin GOAT :patrice:

are you saying you've now realized the brilliance of The Sopranos ending? Because it was was ballsy as fukk. The Sopranos is GOAT show. I'm due to re watch The Wire marathon style and truly make the tough decision.