[Bloomberg] Disney board feeling pressured to expand into gaming, considering EA purchase

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
It’s exactly how it works.

And that's why our system is broken right now, we're supposed to have regulations to prevent this, but politicians are bought and paid for. Consolidation harms innovation.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Disney historically has been bad at running game development.
Trying to push Iger into investing in games is going to be a disaster.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
It could be a good move for Disney if they hire someone from within the videogame industry to run it. They've got more than enough IPs to make the venture low risk.

I've written several times that I use to sell Ultra High End audio equipment. One of our customers was head of operations at National Amusements (I can't remember his true title, but he worked directly under Shari Redstone, the President). Anyway, Viacom, the parent company of National Amusements owned majority stake in Midway Games (Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam). So our customer had just been put in charge of Midway games and dude was completely clueless about videogames. My boss use to ask me about questions about videogames, because the customer was fielding him with questions about videogames. This was sometime between 2002-2005, and Midway folded in 2009.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
And that's why our system is broken right now, we're supposed to have regulations to prevent this, but politicians are bought and paid for. Consolidation harms innovation.
Yes and no. It's part of a natural cycle. Consolidation inevitably happens. They absorb more companies and then they stop innovating. Industry gets stale, then upstart sees opportunity, comes out with new service/product to disrupt (See Blockbuster -> Netflix, Cars -> Tesla, Yahoo -> Google).

Movie studios have been consolidating. Now there's room for A24 to show up and come up. Disney just bought up 21st Century Fox. Soon, we'll see more indy studios grow and then compete. We see lots of small studios do this already but they partner with other large studios too. Movie studios behave different. Maybe not a great example.

Disney eating EA might be a good thing for gaming. Disney doesn't have any competency at gaming. EA can die at the vine. Then the talent and find a new home or get together and build their own thing. We'll see new studios that will do cool new shyt. Just know that we are the market. If we don't like what EA/Disney puts out, we don't buy it. We'll spend our money elsewhere. Some other game studio will make something we'll like and we'll spend our money there instead.

This will take decades though.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Hopefully they completely revamp Madden by retiring the series and starting over. Call it ESPN Football or something

fire everyone involved in previous Maddens just to assure fans it’s different this time