[Bloomberg] Disney board feeling pressured to expand into gaming, considering EA purchase

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah they would be better served with just making games, he’ll if they did exclusive games on the switch shyt would be fire. The two companies should have closer ties.

Also, I know Nintendo would have likely said no because of its cultural values, but years ago after that WiiU bombed and Japan had that earthquake….. they should of tried to buy Nintendo on some “fukk it why not” steeze…. I think it’s too late and EA ain’t saving them.

I don’t really like the idea of american companies buying Japanese companies, tbh

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I don’t really like the idea of american companies buying Japanese companies, tbh
Main reason I don’t think it could have happened then was culture…. But Disney should have done it. That, marvel, and Fox would have them situated as the entertainment company of the next 100 years. It could have even just been like 20% and we get to use the IP’s for movies.

Now I think they should just do an exclusive deal with Nintendo and just focus on making games for them. It would be easier for them to get some games out on the system this Gen, and they still have time to get games ready for next Gen.

The only caveat is they should keep the rights to make kingdom heart on Sony…

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Why are people so accepting of these mega corporations buying their way to the top of multiple industries?

Disney is already big enough, some would argue that they're too big right now.
It’s a cycle. Disney gobble up good IP before a shytty company does. Consolidation happens and they often go broke when they have less competition or clear the way for an upstart disrupter to step in and then grow. Then that company will grow and gobble other companies and continue the cycle.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Disney has so many IPs that's that would make great games but a lot of the video game minded people left the company in the late 90s/early 2000s and while video games are profitable they were never huge money makers for Disney relative to the money they would have to put into it. With that said that Toontown MMO they had was interesting as fukk.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Disney has so many IPs that's that would make great games but a lot of the video game minded people left the company in the late 90s/early 2000s and while video games are profitable they were never huge money makers for Disney relative to the money they would have to put into it. With that said that Toontown MMO they had was interesting as fukk.

It all came crashing down with Epic Mickey :francis:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
It’s a cycle. Disney gobble up good IP before a shytty company does. Consolidation happens and they often go broke when they have less competition or clear the way for an upstart disrupter to step in and then grow. Then that company will grow and gobble other companies and continue the cycle.
That's not how it's supposed to work. The fact that it's been allowed to happen is a serious problem with our system.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
So, Disney now realize that killing off Disney Interactive Studios AKA Buena Vista Games back in 2016 was a dumb decision, so to make it up for it, they want to get EA?

brain-erase.gif

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
So, Disney now realize that killing off Disney Interactive Studios AKA Buena Vista Games back in 2016 was a dumb decision, so to make it up for it, they want to get EA?

brain-erase.gif
It wasnt dumb at the time breh. The division had no direction. You gotta be able to keep the lights on in the building. BVG wasn't putting up nothing, and what little they had wasn't doing numbers.

They blew a bag on Disney Infinity with the decent surplus they had at the time from closing studios, and didnt pivot once the writing was on the wall that peripheral gaming was outta here. The studio was really not capable of producing hits on a consistent basis. The CEO knew that so he dipped out as soon as that game dropped.

Right now the games division they have has no real leadership, they put out that random Mickey Mouse game that was licensed. But that works because they can keep the lights on, probably 10 people working there answering calls and emails. To go big scale they need big ideas and strong leadership, aint nobody over there into games like that.

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps
Will Disney have the money for that they still have to buy Hulu and that is going to cost billions

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Main reason I don’t think it could have happened then was culture…. But Disney should have done it. That, marvel, and Fox would have them situated as the entertainment company of the next 100 years. It could have even just been like 20% and we get to use the IP’s for movies.

Now I think they should just do an exclusive deal with Nintendo and just focus on making games for them. It would be easier for them to get some games out on the system this Gen, and they still have time to get games ready for next Gen.

The only caveat is they should keep the rights to make kingdom heart on Sony…
KH has been multiplat for awhile now

Nintendo and Square are frequent collaborators

Definitely would have found a way to make that work