Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC, Xbox One, Switch, PS4)

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
If the AAA release you are referring to is Phantom Dust, that game never got released... because $5 million was NOT high enough.

Microsoft didn't think so.

Skullgirls needed the hundreds of thousands just to make five extra characters (and they actually made a sixth surprise character). That's not even taking in to account how much it cost to develop the initial game, which had a budget of $1.7 million. Here's a link that explains the costs per character http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-character-crowdfunding-breakdown-what-that-150k-is/

Lol.

They openly admitted in the Kickstarter that the investors were not giving the money until the Kickstarter proved that people want the game, so they didn't have the funding going in because because there is no funding yet.

He also openly admitted that he pretty much had the funding and the game was most likely dropping anyway. The whole investor thing is a play on words. Major publishers didn't want to bother mass distributing an and marketing an indie developed game they didn't feel like would be worth the hassle. So he either A. Pays out of pocket or the publishers sees it as a worthwhile investment via demand. Same as all other aspects of the entertainment industry. Even if the investors rape him on the cut he makes his profit upfront, so whatever happens on the backend doesn't matter. Genius.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Please show me where he says that

To take your original quote and in so many words:

Pay attention to the last lines in the article. wants the donors to take comfort in the fact that the game is going to retail. He's implying that he's already pretty much funded the game, the publishers just needed to see demand from consumers to greenlight mass production (basically how much profit when it comes time to them to get their cut), but that's separate from a development budget. Game was going to drop on way or the other as he's already had everything in hand. On top of that the consumer already paid him handsomely for his efforts, over the fictional budget price, so he doesn't take any hit whatsoever on the backend. The publisher can take the whole pie on the retail and he's gravy thanks to the good ol' kickstarter hustle.

Last edited:
Daps
To take your original quote and in so many words:

Pay attention to the last lines in the article. wants the donors to take comfort in the fact that the game is going to retail. He's implying that he's already pretty much funded the game, the publishers just needed to see demand from consumers to greenlight mass production (basically how much profit when it comes time to them to get their cut), but that's separate from a development budget. Game was going to drop on way or the other as he's already had everything in hand. On top of that the consumer already paid him handsomely for his efforts, over the fictional budget price, so he doesn't take any hit whatsoever on the backend. The publisher can take the whole pie on the retail and he's gravy thanks to the good ol' kickstarter hustle.

Where does it say the investor money is not the development budget? It is the main development budget, the Kickstarter says that the Kickstarter money is for:

1. Proving that there is demand for the game
2. Funding the retail discs
3. Expanding the scope and complexity of the game

They are not implying anything. The Kickstarter straight up says this.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Where does it say the investor money is not the development budget? It is the main development budget, the Kickstarter says that the Kickstarter money is for:

1. Proving that there is demand for the game
2. Funding the retail discs
3. Expanding the scope and complexity of the game

They are not implying anything. The Kickstarter straight up says this.

So we are back to the point of the game not costing 5 million to make. Microsoft AAA title in development proves that.

Truth200

Banned
Daps

fb97fe9cc95e395c6334ac211f3c202c_original.png

a03ed9680d0bf1915dae7017503793cc_original.png

0ea4299197df2a1282d51e0ccf21e725_original.png

667464bd2e0c6de59981ec412d1b97da_original.png

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
@MrMime You have no idea what you are talking about remember a lot of these AAA are in part funded by publishers, that handle pitches, marketing and finances. In an indie, all of these things are done in house. In promotion alone takes up nearly half the budget and so far based on those screen shots the game looks to be well worth the money.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
@MrMime You have no idea what you are talking about remember a lot of these AAA are in part funded by publishers, that handle pitches, marketing and finances. In an indie, all of these things are done in house. In promotion alone takes up nearly half the budget and so far based on those screen shots the game looks to be well worth the money.

I'm aware of all this. Which goes back to my point, a AAA title budget and an indie budget cannot be the same; especially in what went in to said game (Phantom Dust) and this one. If 5 million is expected to be adequate funding for a major exclusive, no way this 2.5 D platformer has the same 5 million dollar budget. Your explanation doesn't work for my Microsoft example because they were paying for everything and felt that 5 million was enough, not to mention the debate was wrapped around development.

In any case, the donors have put up nearly half of the imaginary budget themselves. So what say you now? What does he do with the extra 1.5 million dollars? Don't tell me that's what it cost to add a secret character and boss. You guys need to calm down, I'm not hating at all, but duke is pocketing that money as I've said all along. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Truth200

Banned
Daps
What does he do with the extra 1.5 million dollars? Don't tell me that's what it cost to add a secret character and boss. You guys need to calm down, I'm not hating at all, but duke is pocketing that money as I've said all along. It's that simple.

If he pockets the extra money and spends it on weed and prostitutes nothing would be wrong with that.
manny.png