Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC, Xbox One, Switch, PS4)

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
a0QZwpP.gif

Glad to see it got funded.:salute:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps

If the Kickstarter was for 10% of the budget, then that means the game had a $5 million budget initially

The game has hit 1 million dollars in donations. So yes, the donations are in fact paying for the entire fake budget and then some. I like how they play on words. Bullshyt the game cost 5 million dollars to make. Who would develop a game that has to sell 200,000 (plus) copies just to break even?

The game was already finished he was just asking the consumer to pay him twice. Like I said not knocking the hustle, it obviously works.

Daps
The game has hit 1 million dollars in donations. So yes, the donations are in fact paying for the entire fake budget and then some. I like how they play on words. Bullshyt the game cost 5 million dollars to make.

The game was already finished he was just asking the consumer to pay him twice. Like I said not knocking the hustle, it obviously works.

Are you saying that this game is already complete and they are pretending that it hasn't been developed yet?

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Are you saying that this game is already complete and they are pretending that it hasn't been developed yet?

I'm saying that no way in hell the budget for this game is 5 million. No way the indie is higher than the original major release budget.

Duke just said in his own words that the game was most likely going to drop ANYWAY. LOL now that's balls! If it were any more blatant his kickstarter would just say "give me your money!"

Paying once for the idea and then again for the product is asinine from a consumer standpoint, but if people are willing to pay up god bless 'em. Not knocking the hustle at all, just calling a spade a spade in that it is a hustle.

Daps
I'm saying that no way in hell the budget for this game is 5 million. No way the indie is higher than the original major release budget. Paying once for the idea and then again for the product is asinine from a consumer standpoint, but if people are willing to pay up god bless ;em.

You get the game on release when it comes out if you pledge for a copy. Nobody pays for the game twice. Do you know how Kickstarter works?

And there are definitely games that needed to sell 200,000 or more copies to break even

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
You get the game on release when it comes out if you pledge for a copy. Nobody pays for the game twice. Do you know how Kickstarter works?

Recognize game homie. Yes you get "gifts" in exchange for donations, but at the end of the day YOU ARE PAYING FOR AN IDEA, AND NOT A PRODUCT. You are helping him turn an idea, based on the assumption that it will one day turn into an actual product (something he and everyone else should be doing themselves) just so he can turn around and SELL it to you when the time comes.

It's like paying a construction worker who's working on building a fast food restaurant now, for the idea that you will be hungry if and when it gets built.

And there are definitely games that needed to sell 200,000 or more copies to break even

An indie game?

Last edited:
Daps
Recognize game homie. Yes you get "gifts" in exchange for donations, but at the end of the day YOU ARE PAYING FOR AN IDEA, AND NOT A PRODUCT. You are helping him turn an idea, based on the assumption that it will one day turn into an actual product (something he and everyone else should be doing themselves) just so he can turn around and SELL it to you when the time comes.

It's like paying a construction worker who's working on building a fast food restaurant now, for the idea that you will be hungry if and when it gets built.

An indie game? Big name be damned?

He is not selling the game to you again. You get the game "for free" upon release because you already paid for it. There may be something to be said for funding an idea that might not turn out like you hope it will, but nobody is donating now so they can pay again for the game later.

And the definition of "indie" is so loose now that yes, there probably are some indie games that needed to sell that much. Technically, Valve is "indie" and it's a multi-billion dollar company. If you're just talking dudes making games in their basement with no budget then they probably don't have to sell that much, but games like this being made by professional studios have high costs that need to be overcome.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
He is not selling the game to you again. You get the game "for free" upon release because you already paid for it. There may be something to be said for funding an idea that might not turn out like you hope it will, but nobody is donating now so they can pay again for the game later.

I'm saying though, you're paying for a product that has yet to exist. That doesn't sound like bullshyt to you?

And the definition of "indie" is so loose now that yes, there probably are some indie games that needed to sell that much. Technically, Valve is "indie" and it's a multi-billion dollar company.

Shid...If games were drugs, Valve is Cuba. The plug. Hardly indie. They are only indie in that they take their sweet as time making sequels but shid with that much bread I would be lazy to.

If you're just talking dudes making games in their basement with no budget

That's closer to the truth of what's really going on in game development then you think...

then they probably don't have to sell that much, but games like this being made by professional studios have high costs that need to be overcome.

Well yeah, they want to make the money back that they spent on...marketing. Also mass production and import/export.

Remember: Phantom Dust was marked to be a smash AAA exclusive for Microsoft. The budget was 4 million. They asked for more money but got fired from the project completely and now it's in limbo (or they went with team B). But you mean to tell me that the budget on this game is 5 Million? LOL!

Daps
I'm saying though, you're paying for a product that has yet to exist. That doesn't sound like bullshyt to you?

Shid...If games were drugs, Valve is Cuba. The plug. Hardly indie. They are only indie in that they take their sweet as time making sequels but shid with that much bread I would be lazy to.

That's closer to the truth of what's really going on in game development then you think...

Well yeah, they want to make the money back that they spent on...marketing. Also mass production and import/export.

Remember: Phantom Dust was marked to be a smash AAA exclusive for Microsoft. The budget was 4 million. They asked for more money but got fired from the project completely and now it's in limbo (or they went with team B). But you mean to tell me that the budget on this game is 5 Million? LOL!

"Paying for products that don't exist" is how a lot of Kickstarters work. If you pledge, you are trusting the creator to come through with the product. This has been discussed to death so all I will say is that if you don't like that concept, you can wait until the product comes out to buy it :manny:

I just googled Phantom Dust and the articles I am reading say that it fell apart because they needed more than $5 million and Microsoft refused to give it to them

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
"Paying for products that don't exist" is how a lot of Kickstarters work. If you pledge, you are trusting the creator to come through with the product. This has been discussed to death so all I will say is that if you don't like that concept, you can wait until the product comes out to buy it :manny:

I agree.

I just googled Phantom Dust and the articles I am reading say that it fell apart because they needed more than $5 million and Microsoft refused to give it to them

They fully expected a AAA exclusive to be completed within 5 million. Yet a HD SNES game cost that much? Doesn't add up to me.

Daps
I agree.

They fully expected a AAA exclusive to be completed within 5 million. Yet a HD SNES game cost that much? Doesn't add up to me.

This isn't an "HD SNES" game. It's 2.5D and made in Unreal Engine 4. They are going to use shaders to make the 3D models look like 2D sprites, like in the most recent Guilty Gear game. This is actually cheaper than hand drawing high resolution 2D sprites. If you want proof of this, look at the Skullgirls Indiegogo campaign to add characters to the game. They got hundreds of thousands of dollars and then people started shytting on them saying that there is no way that characters cost that much. The main programmer of the game eventually gave a breakdown of where the costs go, and he said that the money they raised was actually less than they really needed because the developers agreed to get paid less because they really wanted to make the extra content.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
This isn't an "HD SNES" game. It's 2.5D and made in Unreal Engine 4. They are going to use shaders to make the 3D models look like 2D sprites, like in the most recent Guilty Gear game. This is actually cheaper than hand drawing high resolution 2D sprites. If you want proof of this, look at the Skullgirls Indiegogo campaign to add characters to the game. They got hundreds of thousands of dollars and then people started shytting on them saying that there is no way that characters cost that much. The main programmer of the game eventually gave a breakdown of where the costs go, and he said that the money they raised was actually less than they really needed because the developers agreed to get paid less because they really wanted to make the extra content.

No doubt. I don't want to come across like I'm generalizing, in the case of Skullgirls it could be genuine. However you are proving my point that it's even cheaper and more cost effective now. How then, can the gaming budget be higher than a AAA release? I was sarcastic in my assumption that this game and games in general are beans, and can be done for next to nothing (however close to the truth that may be). With that said, that doesn't mean I'm wrong in that the actual budget justifies a million dollars worth of donations or asking for half a mill. Especially when you allude to that fact that you pretty much had all the funding you needed going in.

Daps
No doubt. I don't want to come across like I'm generalizing, in the case of Skullgirls it could be genuine. However you are proving my point that it's even cheaper and more cost effective now. How then, can the gaming budget be higher than a AAA release? I was sarcastic in my assumption that this game and games in general are beans, and can be done for next to nothing (however close to the truth that may be). With that said, that doesn't mean I'm wrong in that the actual budget justifies a million dollars worth of donations or asking for half a mill. Especially when you allude to that fact that you pretty much had all the funding you needed going in.

If the AAA release you are referring to is Phantom Dust, that game never got released... because $5 million was NOT high enough.

Skullgirls needed the hundreds of thousands just to make five extra characters (and they actually made a sixth surprise character). That's not even taking in to account how much it cost to develop the initial game, which had a budget of $1.7 million. Here's a link that explains the costs per character http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-character-crowdfunding-breakdown-what-that-150k-is/

They openly admitted in the Kickstarter that the investors were not giving the money until the Kickstarter proved that people want the game, so they didn't have the funding going in because because there is no funding yet.