Blade Runner 2049 (Official Thread)

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
This movie :wow:

It didn't feel like it was almost 3 hours.

I felt bad for K at the end. I wasn't expecting that twist. Should have seen it coming tho when she cried and the back story she gave.

Also Ana de Armas:whew::noah:

while being fantastic...... you a whole faced lie. the length in combination with the slow pace is my only complaint

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
Never seen Blade Runner so I took time to watch the directors cut first. Followed up with the three shorts released to bridge time between 2019 - 2049; before watching 2049. The original is amazing & details in world crafting is something serious. It beautifully captured the dystopian cyberpunk setting & I couldn't help but getting flashes of Bebop & Neon Genesis. Man even the soundtrack they used. From Little China to the Arabian snake-skin seller everything fit. Pacing was slower but I guess it was deliberate so as to focus on Ford's character & his evolving relationship with Replicas. Its only downfall was how at times Ford has stupid/comical facial expressions.

Of the shorts Blade Runner 2022 was the best. Its MC was a replicant breh as a revolutionary & the animation esp the (present) fight scenes was smooth. Honestly it should be its own show. Which finally brings us to 2049. I don't have a bias lens of nostalgia but it was different. For starters, it doesn't have the confined albeit futuristic metro feel. The closest it came was Gosling's housing complex & the trash pile outside the main city; even then it was to bright. Goslings character was alright & interesting to see a Nexus 8 replicate in the terminator role. BTW in his vagabond role he struck me as Vash Stampede (Trigun). In the end the narrative is reduced to a familial fiasco with humanity as the villain. Except the human's motivation is less nuanced. A big theme in last movie and shorts is replicants (Nexus 6) gaining the freedom and liberties enjoyed by humans.

Yet, in this movie even the alleged good guys used him (and other Nexus) as tools for their salvation. I'd have rather there be two (Gosling & whatever her name was) of them than one. Perhaps I need to watch 2049 again but I don't even get what the point was. Getting us attached to Gosling then shytting on him.

Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Definitely get high before watching this. The visuals are some of the best I've seen on screen and the soundtrack is very good. The film does an uncanny job of capturing that same overwhelming dystopian atmosphere that was so prevalent in the first one. In fact, as an audio/visual spectacle, I'd go so far as saying this is easily top 10 as far as sci-fi films go, possibly even top 5.
With that said, the mediocre writing sort of ruins an otherwise visual masterpiece. First act is very good, second act is slightly less good, and the third act is basically trash. There's a handful of :mindblown: and :dahell: moments throughout. Like, wtf was the point of Jared Leto's character? He basically was just pontificating and spouting soliloquys to no one in particular. You could easily remove him from the movie and it barely affects the story at all. Also,
were we supposed to be sad when Joi got murked by Luv? Because I nearly busted out laughing when she got stepped on. Speaking of Luv, I don't get how she's this super human killing machine but somehow allows Ryan Gosling to drown her with one arm? :sas2: Like, this bytch is literally killing everyone w/ ease and destroys Gosling in hand-to-hand combat but her weakness is single arm face muffs? :what:
People are acting like this movie is deep but it's really just super long and there's also an abundance of crying. It's the same trick Nolan tried to pull on us with Interstellar, only Interstellar was WAAAY more terrible in this regard.

Anyway, aside from the lazy writing and sub-par plot, I'd say this movie is a definite must-see in the theater and will certainly provide consecutive eyegasms throughout.

Last edited:

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
I love the original Blade Runner. Its one of my ten favorite movies so I was :lupe: for this one.

I really didnt like the music and ryan gosling for most of it. compared to the original the music and the main lead were way worse to me. also jared leto in it was kinda lame to me compared to tyrell

otherwise i liked the movie. the main idea for the plot was lazy in some ways but i didnt really mind. its a beautiful movie. all the other actors carried it pretty well (even harrison ford which fukking shocked me).

way better than it had any right to be

ShadowBroker

Born of the Night
Daps
Reppin
KIC 8462852
I liked it a lot. The first was better by far but this movie was solid. Im not the biggest Ryan Gosling fan, I still think someone else wouldve been better suited, but he did fine. Favorite scene is the fight he has with the replicant in the water toward the end. Gonna watch it again on kodi next time to see what nuances I may have missed.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Blade Runner 2049 is not its predecessor, which is the greatest sci-fi ever made, too many unknown allegiances, too many twists, yet, its very pretty to look at, 4 out of 5.

biggest pet peeve, why we got hear about this chick in the bubble, oh, worse serve since Spiderman: Homecoming

Din't seem like Robin Wright was going to be the initial villian, did she try Ryan Gosling like Philip Seymore Hoffman tried her in A Most wanted Man

Is the war against humans and replicants or is against replicants and the people that made them?