Blade Runner 2049 (Official Thread)

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
All the scenes involving jared leto/wallace were the ones that seemed to slow the flick way down

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Must say saw it and was pleasantly surprised.
Wanted to take my time on a review, and I will say the actual story, setup for the characters was excellent.
The problem with the movie was pacing. DV needs to find him a Lucas in editing like speilberg had lucas, that is the only thing that kept this from being a classic to me.
It actually respected the original story and lore, while setting up a nice new self contained story, was pleasently surprised.
I will say because of the pacing I would say wait for DVD or TV to watch it, which is where I think it will find an audience like the original.
B+

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Tell me why the snowflakes were important to the story
Like DNA in humans, every snowflake is unique. Of course in the movie:

K isn't unique as his DNA, and memories, are an exact copy of Deckard's daughter. This draws an interesting parallel between the two at the end, but first we need to move back a bit. When K leaves her facility after believing that he was born of a woman and thus not an artificial creation, he looks at a snowflake falling on his hand. Before he never thought about his position in the world as he was a slave built to execute orders, but now his world view has changed and the miracles he's long ignored, are wide open to him.

At the end, K's view has essentially been demolished as he finds out his belief is a lie and he is in fact a replicant. Yet despite being "reduced" in status again, he's no longer a dog following orders. His imagination has allowed him to set himself free to carve his own path and as such in death, finds comfort in the fact that even though he is not human, only a mere copy of one, has found his humanity and is still able to feel and appreciate the beauty and touch of falling snow. The parallel that follows is Deckard's daughter having artificial snow descend upon her. She is a real human, a genuine miracle (the first and only child of a replicant), yet she is not unique either as she shares the same DNA and memories as K. But there's also a juxtaposition. Despite being "real", unlike K she cannot feel the snow falling, since it is only a product of her imagination. Still she can appreciate the falling snow all the same imagining it, and like K finds great comfort in this too.

In the end it does not matter what is real and what is not. What matters is that they both can appreciate what they have, and it is this that gives both of their lives purpose.

was this movie bad or just didn't have much recognition?

It's easily one of the best movies of the year, but it's not a movie that's for mainstream audiences Although I understand why the media embraces the flop narrative, I wish more of them would acknowledge that this movie was made faithfully in line with the original, and as such was never going to be a box office hit. They did not attempt to make it more accessible than the original, which is quite famous for being similarly alienating. By staying true to the original's setup, they sacrificed box office success and one can only assume they had to be aware of the fact it wasn't going to do massive numbers. Hell, it's a nearly three hour R-rated film that explores philosophical themes about humanity. It's almost insulting to see people comparing this to something like Alien Covenant as if there's anything they have in common that can explain why they underperform at the box office..

Must say saw it and was pleasantly surprised.
Wanted to take my time on a review, and I will say the actual story, setup for the characters was excellent.
The problem with the movie was pacing. DV needs to find him a Lucas in editing like speilberg had lucas, that is the only thing that kept this from being a classic to me.
It actually respected the original story and lore, while setting up a nice new self contained story, was pleasently surprised.
I will say because of the pacing I would say wait for DVD or TV to watch it, which is where I think it will find an audience like the original.
B+

The pacing was deliberate in line with the original. Villeneuve has never had problems with pacing in his previous movies, every second he takes here is purposely done so.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
The pacing was deliberate in line with the original. Villeneuve has never had problems with pacing in his previous movies, every second he takes here is purposely done so.
Deliberate doesn't mean effective, it was a poor choice on his part and it should have been addressed in editing. IMHO. It hurts the movie.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Third time I saw it btw and I'm still catching onto new things that give the movie additional layers.

The second time I watched the movie I wondered why Gaff (Edward James Olmos' character, also in the original) didn't fold a horse origami for K given his memory/dream about the wooden horse. It wasn't until this viewing that I realize it made sense he didn't because the horse dream/memory isn't K's, it belongs to Deckard's daughter so his "sign" (the origami) isn't a horse. What is his origami animal? A dog, which returns in the movie. The police chief orders him around like a dog, and at one point even says 'Attaboy' to K for complying with her order. Luv mocks K repeatedly for being an obedient dog and Deckard has a dog following him around. When K asks him if the dog is real, Deckard responds 'Why don't you ask him?'. To Deckard it doesn't matter, hence why he's also the only human in the entire movie to be seen caring about K's well being (at the end).

Another thing I noticed is a huge clue early on to the fact the child is a girl and not a boy. In the memory the child (with a short haircut) is chased and attacked by boys with buzz cuts. When K goes to the orphanage, all the boys have buzz cuts too and tthe girls just have their hair cut. Since the child in the dream does not have a buzz cut but short cut hair, the child in K's memory logically has to be a girl.

Deliberate doesn't mean effective, it was a poor choice on his part and it should have been addressed in editing. IMHO. It hurts the movie.

I don't think it hurts the movie at all.In fact, even if you believe some scenes could perhaps be trimmed a bit, there are at least double the scenes that benefit immensely from the slower pacing.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Third time I saw it btw and I'm still catching onto new things that give the movie additional layers.

The second time I watched the movie I wondered why Gaff (Edward James Olmos' character, also in the original) didn't fold a horse origami for K given his memory/dream about the wooden horse. It wasn't until this viewing that I realize it made sense he didn't because the horse dream/memory isn't K's, it belongs to Deckard's daughter so his "sign" (the origami) isn't a horse. What is his origami animal? A dog, which returns in the movie. The police chief orders him around like a dog, and at one point even says 'Attaboy' to K for complying with her order. Luv mocks K repeatedly for being an obedient dog and Deckard has a dog following him around. When K asks him if the dog is real, Deckard responds 'Why don't you ask him?'. To Deckard it doesn't matter, hence why he's also the only human in the entire movie to be seen caring about K's well being (at the end).

Another thing I noticed is a huge clue early on to the fact the child is a girl and not a boy. In the memory the child (with a short haircut) is chased and attacked by boys with buzz cuts. When K goes to the orphanage, all the boys have buzz cuts too and tthe girls just have their hair cut. Since the child in the dream does not have a buzz cut but short cut hair, the child in K's memory logically has to be a girl.

I don't think it hurts the movie at all.In fact, even if you believe some scenes could perhaps be trimmed a bit, there are at least double the scenes that benefit immensely from the slower pacing.
I think you are viewing the movie from an obsessive angle, I'm looking at it as a individual one time piece of art that would inspire someone not invested to want to watch it again.
the pacing is a problem, just like the original pacing is a problem.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think you are viewing the movie from an obsessive angle, I'm looking at it as a individual one time piece of art that would inspire someone not invested to want to watch it again.
the pacing is a problem, just like the original pacing is a problem.

I'm viewing the movie as a film connoisseur extraordinaire. I could care less if it appeals to the limited patience of small-minded plebians.:ducreux:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I'm viewing the movie as a film connoisseur extraordinaire. I could care less if it appeals to the limited patience of small-minded plebians.:ducreux:
s
Seen more movies then you and like your paragraph stated, in the end it doesnt matter therefore the goofy snow metaphor should have been edited out and the screentime used for something that actually matters.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I thought it was a great movie although they definitely hung on to a few scenes a bit too long.

Love was straight:demonic:

Best part was when she uses Robin Wright's lifeless head for the scanner and just dropped her like a sack of shyt. That shyt was ruthless :russ:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I thought the movie was great, but I think my opinion of the movie was probably helped by watching the original, and all of the shorts close to each other.

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
movie was garbage. No closure to the long ass movie. Good or bad closure would have made the 164 minute movie at least a little worth it.

No character development for the main antagonist replicant. She is caught crying multiple times early in the movie but THEY NEVER EXPLAIN WHY BECAUSE SHE IS LIKE A MERCILESS PSYCHO THE REST OF IT. Someone please explain the point of her tears? Just an utterly depressing movie with no real point. No one explains their emotions. They just shed a random tear or stare awkwardly at the screen. We are not mind readers. Either explain their motivations thru their words or actions.

perfectblack999

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good movie. Too slow for the general public though. Got a question...

How did K specifically get implanted with the daughter's memories? K is the genetic duplicate and memory duplicate right? How could she have pulled that off?

Or was it Deckard that implanted the memories?