Blade Runner 2049 (Official Thread)

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
shyt was long as hell. People were walking out @track 1 but every scene had meaning.
The visuals were :ohlawd:
Felt kinda bad for K at the end he seemed disappointed:mjcry:

He was. The entire movie was doing the most to have a soul, and I think he was hoping his discovery would confirm that he could have one. What's ironic is that
even if he wasn't born, all of his actions in the last third of the film demonstrate he has one.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Im a little caught off by the amount of people watching this movie. I thought there would be a lot more. The theater I was in was half full for the opening. I expected this thread to do more numbers especially. Just seems like there's not a ton of interest. I hope word of mouth carries it because this look like it may bomb :patrice:

Then again I don't know if word of mouth will carry it because this isn't your typical blockbuster that the audience loves to rave about. I wouldn't even suggest this to the majority of people at work because I know their attention span is that of a dog.

Thighmaster B

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone surprised to see Barkhad Abdi? I'm so glad he's still getting work. I hope he gets more gigs.

I have a few questions - please don't bark at me, it was a lot to take in.

Was K really born, or did Harrison Ford's character really just pull the okie doke and pull off the ultimate switch to hide the identity of his daughter?If K wasn't really born, why was he a kid? Matter of fact, why were there legions of kids in the factory in which he worked if being born was such an anomoly? I'm confused about when childhood stopped and for whom? Because his captain was a child, she said so.

Did anyone suspect that at first, K had killed his own father (that big dude he tried to take in at first). It's strange that all of the clues fell in line after he found that guy? Was that a coincidence, good detective work, or is there some greater meaning to all of that?

When Joi called K "Joe", and then later we discover her model is designed to seduce/advertise by calling randoms 'Joe', does that mean their entire relationship was a lie? It didn't feel like one. I really loved how ride or die she was, but that one moment had me questioning the whole thing.

K was one of the many manufactured replicants with the bubble girl memories. Bubble girl was in that factory/junkyard as a child. Later she got the gig manufacturing memories for replicants. K found her and asked her to analyze this specific memory. Full circle.

No I didn't suspect that. It just happened when K retired the Batista replicant, he uncovered something greater. He must have retired plenty of replicants before and nothing happened before that point. Batista was a chance encounter.

When a notorious golddigger marries you and sticks with you til you croak, is she doing it for the money or because she really loves you? It could be either, most likely the former but wishful thinking makes you go for the latter.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Low-key one of my favorite things about the movie is how they incorporate drones. Like you can feel that's really how casually they will be used in the future.
Anyone surprised to see Barkhad Abdi? I'm so glad he's still getting work. I hope he gets more gigs.

I have a few questions - please don't bark at me, it was a lot to take in.

Was K really born, or did Harrison Ford's character really just pull the okie doke and pull off the ultimate switch to hide the identity of his daughter?If K wasn't really born, why was he a kid? Matter of fact, why were there legions of kids in the factory in which he worked if being born was such an anomoly? I'm confused about when childhood stopped and for whom? Because his captain was a child, she said so.

Did anyone suspect that at first, K had killed his own father (that big dude he tried to take in at first). It's strange that all of the clues fell in line after he found that guy? Was that a coincidence, good detective work, or is there some greater meaning to all of that?

When Joi called K "Joe", and then later we discover her model is designed to seduce/advertise by calling randoms 'Joe', does that mean their entire relationship was a lie? It didn't feel like one. I really loved how ride or die she was, but that one moment had me questioning the whole thing.
K was a replicant, breh.

Human birth is still a natural and common occurrence, so humans can still give birth easily. The big change in the game was the fact that a replicant, an artificial human being, could give child birth. It's the ethical question that the police chief talks about. The only thing that really separates a human from a replicant is that replicants are manufactured. If they can procreate, what really makes them different from us?

The factory was an orphanage, and it was where the child who was born of a replicant was hidden. To hide her identity further, they faked her death and created a male replicant (K) with the exact same DNA and implanted him with memories of his childhood there. As the police chief explained, implanting childhood memories into a replicant is common because it allows them to develop more contextual insight since a memory is a feeling and otherwise they'd have a computer's logic (no interpretation skills).

The movie doesn't explicitly state it but it's highly suggested that K recognized the place he killed the big replicant (Bautista) from his installed memories, and even as he didn't realize it, felt something was special about the place.

The interpretation of K's relationship with Joi is entirely up to you. As you said, it didn't feel like a lie and that's the point. He loved an artificial being (but he too of course, was an artificial being). What really separates him from her other than the fact he's tangible? She might've loved him simply because she was programmed to, but that means her programmed love for him was completely real. And if he, somehow, felt actual love for her, how is it not real love? The entire point of their relationship is to make you question if something artificial can still be real.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I saw a 10 AM showing this morning. I'd say it was better than the original Blade Runner (a good movie), but not as good as the final cut version of Blade Runner (a classic). Folks should really watch the final cut of Blade Runner before watching this.

I think this is a movie for true sci-fi movie heads. It's over 2 and a half hours long, and there's a lot of spots where it's silent and still. But it's fukking gorgeous, and as a fan of the original I wasn't disappointed. They could've added some more filling to the plot, and Jared Leto is trash as usual.

I'd rate it as a light B+. If you have any desire to watch it, see it on the biggest screen you can afford to find.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Not really a spoiler but just in case
Blade Runner 2049: The first major Hollywood movie where the antagonist is raining missles on other bad guys, scattering them into pieces while getting her nails done in a futuristic pearlescent pink.

btw That resistance meeting and why everyone there had the same memory is confusing. Gonna have to read the plot later.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Just watched it. I know the og is a cult classic and is revolutionary but this was a better more enjoyable movie :manny:.

Highly depressing tho. I went down the rabbit hole for a while which was :banderas: and :damn:at the same time

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Finally finished the first one yesterday night so I could have a complete perspective. 2049 is superior in most aspects