Black Tampa: Central Ave. Black Florida series

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Been down here for a few years now and didn't realize all the rich black history right in my own backyard :wow:

:salute: @Meh
Where in Florida do you live? Florida's historically black neighborhoods have so many interesting stories and have contributed so much to American culture as a whole.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Lake Worth/Delray Beach :wow:

By Ron Hayes

On June 15, 1889, a former slave named Fannie James filled out a lengthy form, asking the First Assistant Postmaster General in Washington, D.C., to approve a new post office on the western shore of Lake Worth in Dade County, Fla.
It would serve a community to be called La Paz, she wrote — Spanish for The Peace.
But no, on second thought, Mrs. James decided the community should be called Deer Park. She thought some more and X’d that out, too.
Finally, she settled on Jewell, perhaps because she and her husband, Sam, were called the “black diamonds” by white homesteaders in the area.
In her application, Mrs. James reported the population to be served would number 13.
The post office was approved that September, and for the next 14 years, Mrs. James was its mistress, handling mail and operating a dry-goods shop she and Sam, a carpenter, ran on their 187-acre homestead.
But the name Jewell didn’t last. In 1909, the northern chunk of Dade County became Palm Beach County, and on June 4, 1913, Jewell was incorporated as Lake Worth.
Today, the tiny postal code that began with 13 residents boasts 39,000 citizens, 6.46 square miles, and a hundred years of history.
In January 2012, when the Lake Worth Centennial Foundation gathered to plan the celebrations, a retired financial adviser from Wisconsin volunteered to explore the town’s past.
“And what I found is that the history of the city since incorporation has been pretty well documented,” says Ted Brownstein, 62. “So I decided to write about the people who settled here before we were called Lake Worth.” A year and a half later, his research has given us Pioneers of Jewell: A Documentary History of Lake Worth’s Forgotten Settlement

The 236-page book is carefully documented, rife with reproductions of legal forms and property records, including Mrs. James’ post office application, and unsparing in its look at race relations.
“What surprised me most was how well-respected the Jameses were during that homesteading period,” says Brownstein, who has a degree in ancient Near Eastern history from the University of Wisconsin. “They were well-liked, and they made a lot of money at that time, selling parcels of their land. They even loaned money back to the bank at interest.”
Brownstein posits three distinct areas of racial history in the area: A homesteading era, when black residents like the Jameses were accepted; the Jim Crow period, from 1910 to 1960, when neighborhoods were segregated, and the modern period, as integration began to triumph.
Brownstein explores the lives of a dozen little-known pioneers, the Jameses’ lives before Jewell, the history of the segregated “Osborne Colored Addition” and Ku Klux Klan activities during the 1920s.
“I want people to come away from the book appreciating that we have a very diverse history, even though we went through a bad segregation period,” he says. “In a sense, we’ve returned to our roots, and the city is proud that Sam and Fannie James were our first citizens.”
Sam James never knew Lake Worth. He died in 1909, age 81.
On May 6, 1915, when Lake Worth was almost 2 years old, Fannie James was driving her horse and buggy north to West Palm Beach. Stopping to chat with a friend passing in the opposite direction, she was struck by a motorcar traveling south. She was 73, and died hours after emergency surgery.
In its next edition, The Lake Worth Herald reported her death. She was, the paper said, a “pioneer of the Lake Worth district and once owner of all the land now embraced within the town limits.”
The story was published on the front page.

Celebrating Our History: Before Lake Worth, there was Jewell

Delray Beach

Spady Museum
Befitting of such a culturally diverse community, Delray Beach is home to the Spady Museum, the only museum and cultural center in Palm Beach County, Florida, dedicated to sharing African-American, Haitian- and Caribbean-American history and heritage of Florida.

The museum is headquartered in the former home of the late Solomon D. Spady (1887-1967), one of the earliest African American principals assigned to Delray Beach. Mr. Spady came to the city in 1922 upon the recommendation of Booker T. Washington, one of the most influential African American educators of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Mr. Spady’s involvement with the New Farmers of America youth organization brought him into contact with the agricultural chemist Dr. George Washington Carver.

According to the museum tour guide, in addition to serving as principal, Mr. Spady taught woodshop and agriculture classes. His influential tenure lasted thirty-five years, and in 1998, Delray Beach nominated him for the Great Floridians 2000 award.

Share This » Blog Archive » Exploring African American History in Delray Beach, Florida

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’

@Meh @Dak_Brehscott @LeVraiPapi me and my crew is doing a docu series on black communities in Broward county called :The Black Broward film project" episode 1 is called "A tale of sibling communities Danie and Liberia" Episode 2 will be on Sistrunk, then we plan on doing other areas like NW Hallandale, Pompano, Carver Ranches and Deerfield. I'm also doing a side project called "A night at the palms: A Hallandale story" Which talks about the infamous palms nightclub where James Brown, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, David Ruffin and many more people performed at, the palms was east of MLK Blvd in Hallandale and now 6-7 homes sit on where the Palms once was, the field across from it was club 10. The Palms was closed after the owner Ernie Bunker was killed over a debt. I've been ten toes down in the communities of #BlackBroward mainly building in my backyard of Liberia and Danie (NW Dania) we have a pretty big network with grassroots people in the Ranches, Hallandale, East Miramar, Destination Sistrunk, Ms. Peaches who is running for district 3 in Lauderdale who is also working with the 52 million dollar lottery winner and I'm building with my lil sister on her endeavors in Pompano at Ely. My bad brehs for not being on here as much, been building with the brehs and brehettes in Broward

I'm patiently waiting for this....

:wow:

I've been on your YouTube vids and subscribed to your channel. I think I follow you on IG. Are you BlackBroward on IG?

Off the Onion

No tolerance for the fatherless
Daps
They'd never tear down all the historic buildings in the white or Cuban areas of Tampa. But it seems like they're trying to rip every fabric of historic black tampa from the roots to make way for more condos, and then try to pacificy black ppl with building a few ella Fitzgerald themed public houses and some placards showcasing what once stood in that area instead of keeping the actual buildings. It's scary how easily black history can be erased.

Are there a lot of Italians in Tampa?

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Overtown has plenty of history and still has some remaining buildings, houses from that era still standing.

• Dap

DUCKED_OFF

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
Italians lowkey run tampa....The trafficante mafia family ran florida and cuba back in their days

And they're pretty much old or dead now but their money is still in the city and their family members know how to keep stuff in the family and create more money . They own about every building on the ybor strip, the big steak restaurants here they own, south tampa real estate ( most expensive homes in tampa) they are part of, construction they have a bunch of money in , they own a big hotel on south dalemabry and the dude who they say is the leader of the tampa mob is the manager of one of the biggest country clubs in the city.

• Dap

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Almost every decent sized city had a dense thriving black district. They got interstates through them, urban renewal and down right burned to the ground. What was left of these districts are project housing after the idiot integrationists killed off what was left of these areas. Integration was the hope of those who couldn't read or count at a high level but white boys who could gave them platforms. Those who could read and count fought for ownership. Those who couldn't fought for someone to read and count for them.