Black Tampa: Central Ave. Black Florida series

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

@Meh @Dak_Brehscott @LeVraiPapi me and my crew is doing a docu series on black communities in Broward county called :The Black Broward film project" episode 1 is called "A tale of sibling communities Danie and Liberia" Episode 2 will be on Sistrunk, then we plan on doing other areas like NW Hallandale, Pompano, Carver Ranches and Deerfield. I'm also doing a side project called "A night at the palms: A Hallandale story" Which talks about the infamous palms nightclub where James Brown, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, David Ruffin and many more people performed at, the palms was east of MLK Blvd in Hallandale and now 6-7 homes sit on where the Palms once was, the field across from it was club 10. The Palms was closed after the owner Ernie Bunker was killed over a debt. I've been ten toes down in the communities of #BlackBroward mainly building in my backyard of Liberia and Danie (NW Dania) we have a pretty big network with grassroots people in the Ranches, Hallandale, East Miramar, Destination Sistrunk, Ms. Peaches who is running for district 3 in Lauderdale who is also working with the 52 million dollar lottery winner and I'm building with my lil sister on her endeavors in Pompano at Ely. My bad brehs for not being on here as much, been building with the brehs and brehettes in Broward

:whoo::whoo:

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Muhammad Ali use to hangout in Hallandale back in the days. Also the mob were the ones that built Gulf Stream park and had ties to NW Hallandale. An O.G. from Hallandale killed a man in the palms nightclub in cold blood and got away with it due to his affiliation with Meyer Lansky.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Muhammad Ali use to hangout in Hallandale back in the days. Also the mob were the ones that built Gulf Stream park and had ties to NW Hallandale. An O.G. from Hallandale killed a man in the palms nightclub in cold blood and got away with it due to his affiliation with Meyer Lansky.
The Palms were connected like that?

:ohhh:

Had no idea. Meyer Lansky connections. Makes sense considering the proximity.

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
The Palms were connected like that?

:ohhh:

Had no idea. Meyer Lansky connections. Makes sense considering the proximity.

Quite a few elders who were kids back then use to get ten dollar tips from mobsters in Hallandale. Many of the mob would have black drivers that were from Hallandale. I need to find Deerfield black history next.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Historic Northwest(West Palm Beach):

"West Palm Beach's first historic district to be included on the National Register of Historic Places (February 1992), the Northwest neighborhood was first settled in 1894, when the black community was moved from the Styx in Palm Beach to West Palm Beach. It also served as the city's segregated black community from 1929 to 1960 (along with Pleasant City).

Northwest remains a predominantly black community but according to the city planning department, most middle- and upper-class blacks moved to other neighborhoods after desegregation. Tamarind and Rosemary Avenues were the commercial centers for blacks by 1915, but most commercial buildings have been demolished or remodeled so the architecture is no longer significant.
There are still good examples of late 19th- and early 20th-century American bungalow/craftsman-style homes in this neighborhood, which also has mission, shotgun, Bahamian vernacular and American Foursquare styles.
The Alice Frederick Mickens house, at 801 Fourth St., is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Mickens was a philanthropist and humanitarian who promoted education for black youth.

Another notable house is the Gwen Cherry house at 625 Division Ave. Cherry, Florida's first black woman legislator and a resident of Miami, inherited the house from relative Mollie ****, who built the house in 1926. Now it is the Palm Beach County Black Historical Society.

The Northwest neighborhood was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. The next year the neighborhood became a West Palm Beach historic district in 1993."

WELCOME TO WEST PALM BEACHES OLDEST NEIGHBORHOOD