Black Physician Who Said She Was Mistreated Dies of COVID-19

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
Really common. I remember once sitting in the hospital with a dislocated shoulder...like my arm hanging out of the shoulder socket for FOUR hours and nobody gave me shyt while I waited or after I left. And it takes about 15 seconds to put the arm back in the socket. TBH, it didn’t really bother me cuz I have a high threshold for pain but the fact that nobody even checked up on me to see how I was doing for hours is egregious. A year later I had to get surgery cuz the ligament was destroyed...probably from...

oh I know. I’ve worked in the ER and I asked to be transferred, someone (black) can have an obvious fracture. But someone else (white) who comes in later complains of a tummy ache and they get the scans first.

pissed me off, and doctors hate when you hunt them down with charts because WE (nurses) didn’t go to medical school blah blah blah. It’s common fukking sense sometimes

I’m bored as hell at home. But I’m kinda glad I don’t have to work for 4 years

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh I know. I’ve worked in the ER and I asked to be transferred, someone (black) can have an obvious fracture. But someone else (white) who comes in later complains of a tummy ache and they get the scans first.

pissed me off, and doctors hate when you hunt them down with charts because WE (nurses) didn’t go to medical school blah blah blah. It’s common fukking sense sometimes

I’m bored as hell at home. But I’m kinda glad I don’t have to work for 4 years
This is literally what my situation was...it was mad frustrating.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
too bad you can’t sue. Doctors have millions in liability insurance and crooked lawyers
Yeah at best I’d get a small settlement. Not worth the time and energy tbh. My shoulder is good as new after surgery anyways so no harm no foul in the end.

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
Even BEFORE you see the doc you get discrimination. They think everyone in Medicaid or we chose the cheapest option, like black folk can’t care about their family’s health.

I went for 2 root canals and crowns and the front desk lady was like :mjpls: we need payment before services.

my husband has A+++++ insurance

the look on that bytches face when I only paid $220 ( estimate) for root canals and crowns:obama:

Had her re-evaluating her life

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Doctor Dies from Coronavirus After Saying Hospital Was Mistreating Her Because She Is Black

December 23, 2020
WQxUZMkl.jpg

An Indiana doctor has died from complications of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) weeks after saying she was being mistreated.

Dr. Susan Moore, who was admitted to the Indiana University North Hospital, maintained she was not receiving adequate treatment in a Facebook video on December 4 that has since gone viral.

thumbnail_generic.png

Moore said that despite telling her doctor that she was in pain, the medical staff treating her wanted to discharge her. She said that she only received medication after tests proved what she had been saying since she arrived at the hospital.

"I put forth, and I maintain, if I was white, I wouldn't have to go through that," Moore said in her video after explaining that her doctor only agreed to give her pain medication after a CT scan revealed new pulmonary infiltrates. "And that man never came back and apologized," she added of her doctor.

"I don't trust this hospital, and I'm asking to be transferred. These people wanted to send me home with new pulmonary infiltrates and all kind of lymphadenopathy in my neck," Moore said, adding later in the video, "This is how Black people get killed. When you send them home and they don't know how to fight for themselves. I have to talk to somebody, maybe the media, somebody, to let people know how I'm being treated up in this place."

CESZhwKl.jpg
In an update, Moore later shared on Facebook that she had spoken to the IU healthcare system's chief medical officer and her pain was finally being "properly managed." She said that the CMO "stated that there will be some diversity training" and that they were "working on" getting an apology from her doctor.

Moore was discharged and shared that she was at home in her own bed, before sharing yet another update that she had been admitted to a new hospital.

"I was home for less than 12 hours," Moore wrote on Facebook. "Spiked a temperature of 103 and my blood pressure plummeted to 80/60 with a heart rate of 132. I’m back in the hospital, a different hospital Saint Vincent Carmel."

"Those people were trying to kill me," she added. "Clearly everyone has to agree they discharge me way too soon. They are now treating me for a bacterial pneumonia as well as Covid pneumonia. I am getting very compassionate care. They are offering me pain medicine."

Moore's final update before her death said that she was being transferred to the ICU and was on a BiPAP machine to assist her breathing.

"IU North respects and upholds patient privacy and cannot comment on a specific patient, their medical history or conditions," a spokesperson for IU said in a statement when reached by PEOPLE for comment Wednesday. "As an organization committed to equity and reducing racial disparities in healthcare, we take accusations of discrimination very seriously and investigate every allegation."

"Treatment options are often agreed upon and reviewed by medical experts from a variety of specialties, and we stand by the commitment and expertise of our caregivers and the quality of care delivered to our patients every day," the statement added.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Moore's family for funeral costs and expenses for her 19-year-old son and elderly parents.

"Dr. Susan Moore, a physician residing in Indianapolis, experienced an untimely death," the GoFundMe campaign said. "She had been fighting COVID for the past few weeks. She leaves a son who is 19 yrs old and her parents, both of which have dementia. The son is dealing with both situations at this time and is in good spirits."

"Susan was a phenomenal doctor," the campaign added. "She loved practicing medicine, she loved being a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc, she loved helping people, and she was unapologetic about it."

"Structural factors including health care access, density of households, unemployment and types of employment, pervasive discrimination and others drive these disparities, not intrinsic characteristics of black or Latinx communities or individual-level factors," an amfAR study published earlier this year stated.

As of Wednesday, there have been more than 18.4 million cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., and at least 324,948 deaths related to the virus, according to data from the New York Times.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
A black doctor got treated like this!! :to:

Knowing I wouldn't be getting A1 treatment if I have to go to the hospital is one of my top reasons for taking all precautions within my means to not get this virus.

wearing a mask and social distancing is the cheapest and easier thing to do to combat this virus.

Last edited:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps