Black model on 'The Face' says she doesn't consider herself Black

ChiefQueen

HBIC
Daps
nup_151965_4469.jpg

During an intense hot-button-question filled episode of "The Face" last night, Wendy Williams tackled a really important issue—you know, when she asked Devyn if it was "hard to be a black girl model?" and it snowballed from there. The full exchange, right here:

Wendy: Is it hard to be a black girl model?

Devyn: I don't really consider myself to be a black girl model. I mean, I know what my ethnicity is, but I'm fair-skinned and I feel like I have an international look.

Wendy: So you don't feel black.

Devyn: No, that's not what I said, whatsoever.

Naomi Campbell (in the wings): What the f*ck does she mean? That's a disgrace! She's a black girl.

While Devyn was probably nervous and under-pressure at that moment, it's still a thought-provoking topic for discussion. Black models still face challenges on a regular basis, yet they've been making history for decades. Just look to icons including guest star Pat Cleveland, plus groundbreakers Beverly Johnson, Grace Jones, Iman, Naomi Campbell (who was not pleased with Devyn's responses), Tyra Banks and Veronica Webb. Despite their successes, every black runway legend has been forced to face the same question Devyn did: "Do I identify as a 'model,' a 'black model' or both?

What's your take on the topic and on Devyn's response?

Cc17uyV.gif

VWn1doT.gif

:shameful: "I have an international look" -This is coming from a baby mama from the hood. Btw, she's not even light-skinned, so it's a bit odd to me that she doesn't consider herself to be black. I wonder what she identifies as...

AntiHero

Long time lurker
Daps
nup_151965_4469.jpg

During an intense hot-button-question filled episode of "The Face" last night, Wendy Williams tackled a really important issue—you know, when she asked Devyn if it was "hard to be a black girl model?" and it snowballed from there. The full exchange, right here:

Wendy: Is it hard to be a black girl model?

Devyn: I don't really consider myself to be a black girl model. I mean, I know what my ethnicity is, but I'm fair-skinned and I feel like I have an international look.

Wendy: So you don't feel black.

Devyn: No, that's not what I said, whatsoever.

Naomi Campbell (in the wings): What the f*ck does she mean? That's a disgrace! She's a black girl.

While Devyn was probably nervous and under-pressure at that moment, it's still a thought-provoking topic for discussion. Black models still face challenges on a regular basis, yet they've been making history for decades. Just look to icons including guest star Pat Cleveland, plus groundbreakers Beverly Johnson, Grace Jones, Iman, Naomi Campbell (who was not pleased with Devyn's responses), Tyra Banks and Veronica Webb. Despite their successes, every black runway legend has been forced to face the same question Devyn did: "Do I identify as a 'model,' a 'black model' or both?

What's your take on the topic and on Devyn's response?

Cc17uyV.gif

VWn1doT.gif

:shameful: "I have an international look" -This is coming from a baby mama from the hood. Btw, she's not even light-skinned, so it's a bit odd to me that she doesn't consider herself to be black. I wonder what she identifies as...

jiFfM.jpg

When will people learn that black has nothing to do with your skin complexion, it's about your facial features.

Although, she has a narrow nose and thin lips she still looks black.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I've never heard of the face either. She probably just means she's a fukking model and not a label. Idris Elba said nearly the same thing. The fair-skinned and international look thing kinda spears that theory though.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
her mama aint shyt!!!
dont matter that she think.....let her shop at gucci.
them cacs following her around the store will let that
hoe know what color she is....

a0yqua.jpg