Black Men Need To Cut Their Hair or Stay At The Bottom (corporate world talk)

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Its slowly changing for the better. I'm even comfortable letting my beard grow however it grows nowadays. I'm 42 and come from the time when we was supposed to look "neat and presentable" and being former military i still mostly stay well groomed. But I like the fact that younger brothers and sisters are embracing our natural hair and hair styles more and more. Hopefully soon it won't matter. I hired a brother last month with the Lamar Jackson style and he's been the best worker I've had in yrs so far

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Day trading Gang, gives no fukks... Im the United States of YouMadd? and I just pay taxes for occupying land.. You know how good it feels to wake up, shower, put on some "high end sweat pants" and work for 4 hours a morning? GLORIOUS.

I also just got offered a job at a Fin-Tech Start up, WITH locs.... However, the person who recruited me has dumb shyt in her e-mail signature like "She/they" and is clearly born a male. So I dont think they seem to mind locs if they are hiring people with mental disorders...

Now if you are in the midwest, south OR in Banking, or with large companies it might be a little different.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
of course kevin samuels would subscribe to this antiquated bullshyt. his entire hustle is built around convincing people that he's always in the know based in large part on the visual he presents to you.

thank you. of course you have to worry about your appearance in an industry where success is determined in part by face-to-face interactions with potential clients/consumers. but even then, the smart companies have already shifted their approach, acknowleding their best chance of engaging those consumers is by hiring people who have credibility when speaking to them.

why cater to the dinosaurs that dont understand this? if you're stuck at one of these places, save your bread, bide your time and use the experience to find an opportunity that's a better fit for you. fukk 'em.

Rep...I'm tatted up and had a fro until 2-3 years ago. I'm an AD at a major corporation too.

As long as you're clean with your hair and facial style, a lot of organizations have adapted.

The bigger concern is with customer facing roles, IE sales. Then you might get some pushback.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Day trading Gang, gives no fukks... Im the United States of YouMadd? and I just pay taxes for occupying land.. You know how good it feels to wake up, shower, put on some "high end sweat pants" and work for 4 hours a morning? GLORIOUS.

I also just got offered a job at a Fin-Tech Start up, WITH locs.... However, the person who recruited me has dumb shyt in her e-mail signature like "She/they" and is clearly born a male. So I dont think they seem to mind locs if they are hiring people with mental disorders...

Now if you are in the midwest, south OR in Banking, or with large companies it might be a little different.

:dead:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have dreads and making more money then I have in my life, even when I had cornrows I ran up a bag, promotion after promotion :wow:. Corporate dont care they even hire people with exposed tats.

you’d make double with a low cut and unkept hairline.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Wilderson's Afropessimism and Wilkerson's Caste posits that black people are the bottom of a racial caste system by way of our blackness. Hair, notwithstanding, will not change that fact unless the entire world system is upended.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well how come I'm making more then them clean cut nikkas I work with? Infact there's not a single ADOS male making more than me in this building.

1. it was a joke
2. Compare yourself to people at your level, not below.

who’s to say you couldn’t be making more? Who’s to say you couldn’t be making less?

unfortunately some hairstyles have negative connotations whether you agree or not is irrelevant.

similar to people who have white names having a better chance not having their resumes getting thrown out over those with ethnic names.

some people with tats on their throats do well in the corporate world, but many do not. Corporate world is still very conservative.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rep...I'm tatted up and had a fro until 2-3 years ago. I'm an AD at a major corporation too.

As long as you're clean with your hair and facial style, a lot of organizations have adapted.

The bigger concern is with customer facing roles, IE sales. Then you might get some pushback.

breh. i'm on conference calls with people who have purple hair, locks, tats, nose rings and all kinds of other shyt going on. they're neat about it, but it's still there. and they're all senior-level. the idea that there's still only one way to present yourself for success is outdated as fukk.

my advice would be stop working for those types of corporations + find a better career path.

it's also naive as fukk to think that people are still subscribing to the same forms of discrimination in the workplace from 30-40 years ago. yeah, it's still there. but in my personal experience it's way less about my presentation and much more about inter-office politics/opportunities that we are usually excluded from regardless of appearance.

dblive

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Ohio
22 year old chemist out of college in 2002. Locks to my chest and 2 side gold teeth. Got job offers for every interview completed (in Columbus, OH). 5 years later working in insurance, still with the locks, down to 1 gold tooth, no problem and promotion to middle management (Maryland)