Black Americans are the creators of Breakdancing, Rapping and Hip Hop... NOT Latinos says a guy who grew up with DJ Cool Herc.

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
I know the coli hates "spicy cacs" and wants to apply prison gang politics to the civilian world (never mind Latinos come in all skin tones including Black but that's another convo).
Anyway those that were there and lived it are the most qualified to speak on it.
Goofys saying dumb shyt like Latinos started Hip Hop are just trolling and shouldn't be taken seriously.
I know Crazy Legs has spoken on how Latinos in the Bronx weren't with breaking at first because we had our own thing at the time. Fania and the Salsa movement was huge in the early 70's (also directly influenced by African music but no one wants to talk about that either. Hector Lavoe and Celia Cruz (Black Cuban) played in Zaire-DRC to sold out crowds).
But then the next generation coming up in the late 70's got into it along with graffiti because Disco was seen as wack and it was all you heard on the radio.
Someone mentioned Bronx gangs. Some were all Black or all Latino. Some were mixed. And shocker! there were white gangs too.

Latinos have contributed to all aspects of Hip Hop. Try as you might Charlie Chase, Disco Wiz, Tito, Peso, Doze, Tracy 168, Lee Quiñones, Lady Pink, Crazy Legs, Johnny Juice (ask Chuck D about him), Prince Markie Dee...etc etc can't just pretend they never existed.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
'Getting down' was THE reason breakin' even became a thing since discotheques didn't allow that kind of dancing. They called it 'ghetto', and enforced dress codes catering to upscale "White" people. No sneakers, jeans, hoodies, etc.

Yet another term from my childhood that changed over time as a 2nd Gen B-Boy. 1st Gen are in their 60's-70's, now, and still around.​

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I know the coli hates "spicy cacs" and wants to apply prison gang politics to the civilian world (never mind Latinos come in all skin tones including Black but that's another convo).
Anyway those that were there and lived it are the most qualified to speak on it.
Goofys saying dumb shyt like Latinos started Hip Hop are just trolling and shouldn't be taken seriously.
I know Crazy Legs has spoken on how Latinos in the Bronx weren't with breaking at first because we had our own thing at the time. Fania and the Salsa movement was huge in the early 70's (also directly influenced by African music but no one wants to talk about that either. Hector Lavoe and Celia Cruz (Black Cuban) played in Zaire-DRC to sold out crowds).
But then the next generation coming up in the late 70's got into it along with graffiti because Disco was seen as wack and it was all you heard on the radio.
Someone mentioned Bronx gangs. Some were all Black or all Latino. Some were mixed. And shocker! there were white gangs too.

Latinos have contributed to all aspects of Hip Hop. Try as you might Charlie Chase, Disco Wiz, Tito, Peso, Doze, Tracy 168, Lee Quiñones, Lady Pink, Crazy Legs, Johnny Juice (ask Chuck D about him), Prince Markie Dee...etc etc can't just pretend they never existed.

That was much later. The thing most hiphop historians leave out is that Black and Rican gangs were enemies. Since most gangs were "youth gangs" it made sense Ricans weren't involved in early hiphop because hiphop was also a youth/early 20s movement.

listen to the REAL og latin pioneers tell you the truth; not these late-comers like Fat Joe

read below

SIR NORIN RAD:"Willie Will (legendary Puerto Rican B-Boy from Rockwell Association) told me about how we was introduced to that original Black B-Boy Style of dancing which you referred to as The Go Off in 1976 by a B-Boy called Chopper that was down with the Zulu Nation. What was the relationship between TBB and the Zulu Nation? Was there any kind of contact at all?"

ABY:"Again, I was younger. I was too young to even understand the difference between Black and Puerto Rican. But to my brothers...to the older guys there was a barrier....there was a line between Blacks and Latinos. I mean look at the gangs back then...the Black Spades were all black and then you had the Ghetto Brothers which were all Latinos....so there was a division at first. I remember the Zulu Kings only from late 1976/77 that's when we really got involved. That's also when Batch had his meeting with the Zulu Nation..1977. TBB and members of the Zulu Nation they used to have rumbles.....they would fight against each other. Whatever jam they went to they would rumble. If there was a jam and TBB was chilling there and all of a sudden some one threw hands Batch would summon TBB Joe's division who was known as the warlord division meaning thay handled all the rumbles or one on one fight make sure no one jumped in !! . One of the first black DJs that I ever met was Lay Lay. He was from Fun PM City Crew and they was all black but they was kool cause they were from the block.We never had problems in 129 Mapes Pool. Lay Lay would get cutting and we would start dancing !! Back then we danced more with the girls than against each other .. But when we heard "It's Just Begun" or Babe Ruth "Mexican" or "Bongo Rock"... forget about it! Floor rockers hit the flooooorrrrrrr,!!! Cypher set and battles was for respect not money .. You had to be there to truly understand and smell the air and feel the excitement when the cat you was battling burned you the last time and you been practicing all week long for the moment you let it all out on the concrete ... Damn miss em days ."

DJ Lay Lay & The Fun City Crew rocking with The L-Brothers and The Mercedes Ladies in 1979

SIR NORIN RAD:"So you're saying there was a lot of tension between TBB and members the Zulu Nation?"

ABY:"There was! There was a lot of tension out there."

SIR NORIN RAD:"And all that beef was squashed at that meeting?"

ABY:"Batch had his meeting with Bam at the Webster projects on Zulu Nation turf in 1977. After that meeting they squashed it. I don't know how come Bam never spoke of this because it's such an important part of the history. It identifies with unity between Latinos and Blacks. So I don't know why he never acknowledged it."

Castles In The Sky

remember, italians used to hunt down/chase both blacks and latinos (ricans) and at the same time, black and latins used to rumble against each other and had established boundaries that kept them largely, apart
8HRvu3m.jpg

hokT2nz.jpg

The relative isolation that Ricans had from blacks is why large masses of them weren't around HipHop in its early stages

the mythical portrayal of blacks and puerto ricans in early Hiphop is actually a product of the early 1980s when those two groups really was close(r)

this myth that they Ricans were there from the start doesn't hold up when you get the story from the real early Rican pioneers

6IrXm8F.jpg

something the true black pioneers already know/have been saying

"There were no spansh/puerto rican bboys in the early 1970s

@ 10:10 "spanish brothers were not at the parties, they stuck to themselves/their own culture....you had to be cool with one of them to actually hangout with them (as a black person:he's Carolinian) and since I looked Spanish (to them), they accepted me/allowed me to blend in"

"zulu kings studied us and became good; bboy named beaver was the one who taught/influenced the puerto ricans into bboying"

Last edited:

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The internet is buzzing about this topic right now. Latinos are really trying to claim 50% of the creation of Hip Hop. LOL

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
No......

Both have a valid point and argument.

The Griot (story tellers) and tradition of the "Spoken Word" narrative makes more sense, considering the Gullah Geechee and history of Carolina. But also the Black populations that was already in NY for hundreds of years. Of course this doesn't make Hip Hop or rap African, but it shows the origin of the Gullah Geechee, from whom these cultural Gullah Geechee patterns emerged.

923504_515317931859293_567490476_n.jpg

Maerschalk-map-1754_1.jpg

The Maerschalck map of the City of New York is a historic map made in 1754 that clearly shows the African Burial Ground and its surrounding neighborhood

African Burial Ground National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
I will admit Puerto Ricans had a part to play but Mexicans trying to use “Latinos” to include themselves in. Punks
This is why I always emphasize on the ethnicity. And overall Mexicans don’t even like PR’s, because if they African heritage PR’s have. Especially at the time. From what I understand there’s been some shift.

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
some clips from the OG Ricans (mid 1970s..before Crazy Legs) who first found their way into HipHop

Thanks for posting this.

It’s getting tiresome how some people try to alter Black American history, especially by pieces of crap like “fat Joe”. Puerto Ricans certainly have a spot in hip hop history, but not as the founders and pioneers. And they are the closest “Latinos”.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Abby says:

SIR NORIN RAD:"Willie Will (legendary Puerto Rican B-Boy from Rockwell Association) told me about how we was introduced to that original Black B-Boy Style of dancing which you referred to as The Go Off in 1976 by a B-Boy called Chopper that was down with the Zulu Nation. What was the relationship between TBB and the Zulu Nation? Was there any kind of contact at all?"

ABY:"Again, I was younger. I was too young to even understand the difference between Black and Puerto Rican. But to my brothers...to the older guys there was a barrier....there was a line between Blacks and Latinos. I mean look at the gangs back then...the Black Spades were all black and then you had the Ghetto Brothers which were all Latinos....so there was a division at first. I remember the Zulu Kings only from late 1976/77 that's when we really got involved. That's also when Batch had his meeting with the Zulu Nation..1977. TBB and members of the Zulu Nation they used to have rumbles.....they would fight against each other. Whatever jam they went to they would rumble. If there was a jam and TBB was chilling there and all of a sudden some one threw hands Batch would summon TBB Joe's division who was known as the warlord division meaning thay handled all the rumbles or one on one fight make sure no one jumped in !! . One of the first black DJs that I ever met was Lay Lay. He was from Fun PM City Crew and they was all black but they was kool cause they were from the block.We never had problems in 129 Mapes Pool. Lay Lay would get cutting and we would start dancing !! Back then we danced more with the girls than against each other .. But when we heard "It's Just Begun" or Babe Ruth "Mexican" or "Bongo Rock"... forget about it! Floor rockers hit the flooooorrrrrrr,!!! Cypher set and battles was for respect not money .. You had to be there to truly understand and smell the air and feel the excitement when the cat you was battling burned you the last time and you been practicing all week long for the moment you let it all out on the concrete ... Damn miss em days ."

h4zoVTH.jpg

I had a back and forth months ago with a early Rican bboy from the Rockwell Association that grew up with/knows all the Rican bboys from Crazy Legs, Trac 2 (his mentor), Batch etc....he told me that he knew/knows that Black Bboy "Chopper" personally. While he was dismissive of the bboy pioneers from 1970-1974 (he never met any of those guys from that era because he's too young), he did admit that the Black Zulu Kings were the first bboys he saw and that the Ricans studied them and added on from there.

he tried to say people like Sasa, Trixie, N1qqa Twins weren't bboys even though we know this is false because these are the same guys that the Zulu Kings used to watch and learn from

5tmfEtH.png

JVOXkLo.jpg

Ui9tzav.jpg

he says they had no moves/floor moves/power moves/acrobatics which we also know is false

2kUobZF.png

PJOroqg.png

here he is dismissing the early bboys from an era, he nor any of the other PR bboys like Trac2, Crazy legs and Batch ever saw because they were too young

Trac2 further proved this when he got caught in a lie by saying Sasa was the first bboy and he was Puerto Rican (which is false). He would have known this to be false had he been around in the 1970-1974 era

The oldschool PR bboy DOES give props to the Zulu Kings for being the foundations of the dance (bboying) that the Ricans would later call "Moreno style"

oo0xdux.png

Tgh6QHx.png

He basically confirmed what numerous OG Rican bboys claimed about where they learned the dance

ZbK4h4d.jpg

he confirms that TT Rock (black) showed Batch (rican) the dance

he talks about Zulu King bboy Chopper being one of the first guys they saw the "moreno style" from

talks about the huge influence of Zulu bboys like Beaver and Robbie Rob, both "morenos"