Black Americans are the creators of Breakdancing, Rapping and Hip Hop... NOT Latinos says a guy who grew up with DJ Cool Herc.

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think what's being missed by a lot of people is... by these Latinos saying that they helped "Create" Hip Hop that means that Black people can't try to claim that Rap music is Black music.

These conversation seem to come up when some Latino person or Latino rapper says some racist sh*t about black people and then a black person will say... "Well... if you got a problem with Black people why are you rapping and why do you love Rap music so much?... Rap music is Black music." Then that Latino person will say... "Latinos helped to CREATE Hip Hop so Rap music is NOT Black music it's Latino music too so Black people can stop with the Rap Music is Black music bullsh*t".

So according to theses Latinos... no matter what Black people accomplish under the umbrella of Hip Hop... whether that be Rapping, Breakdancing, DJing ect... the credit will never solely go to Black people or be consider a "Black thang" because Latinos helped to "CREATE" Hip Hop so they deserve credit also and it's a part of their culture too.

So... Black people can spend 40+ years making Rap music in to the Power House genre that it is today but according to Latinos black people still can't claim that Rap music is Black music because Latinos helped to CREATE Hip Hop and Rap is a part of Hip Hop.

Yall see how that works? LOL

See.. that's why it's kind of important to actually determine who really created something and who showed up later and contributed to it.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think what's being missed by a lot of people is... by these Latinos saying that they helped "Create" Hip Hop that means that Black people can't try to claim that Rap music is Black music.

These conversation seem to come up when some Latino person or Latino rapper says some racist sh*t about black people and then a black person will say... "Well... if you got a problem with Black people why are you rapping and why do you love Rap music so much?... Rap music is Black music." Then that Latino person will say... "Latinos helped to CREATE Hip Hop so Rap music is NOT Black music it's Latino music too so Black people can stop with the Rap Music is Black music bullsh*t".

So according to theses Latinos... no matter what Black people accomplish under the umbrella of Hip Hop... whether that be Rapping, Breakdancing, DJing ect... the credit will never solely go to Black people or be consider a "Black thang" because Latinos helped to "CREATE" Hip Hop so they deserve credit also and it's a part of their culture too.

So... Black people can spend 40+ years making Rap music in to the Power House genre that it is today but according to Latinos black people still can't claim that Rap music is Black music because Latinos helped to CREATE Hip Hop and Rap is a part of Hip Hop.

Yall see how that works? LOL

See.. that's why it's kind of important to actually determine who really created something and who showed up later and contributed to it.

Latinos have never contributed anything to Hip Hop

Black is 100 percent black culture

we allowed others to participate in the culture, this is the reality

they can't even name any of these so called contributions, because there are none,

they have never even influenced the culture or created sound that lead the genre

the sound of rap has evolved every era and none of it was due to a contribution of latino youth fukk outta here

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Latinos have never contributed anything to Hip Hop

Black is 100 percent black culture

we allowed others to participate in the culture, this is the reality

they can't even name any of these so called contributions, because there are none,

they have never even influenced the culture or created sound that lead the genre

the sound of rap has evolved every era and none of it was due to a contribution of latino youth fukk outta here

:snoop:
i don’t understand referring to this topic - why y’all nikkaz used the term Latinos instead of Puerto Ricans ?

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It sounds like Tariq and the OG that called in saying that the Puerto Ricans didn't help create Hip Hop will maybe be working on something to get the real truth out there. They better hurry up and try to get all the information they can from those first generation B-Boys while they're still with us.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Puerto ricans play a major role in early rap,graffiti and break dancing...just go back and look at old videos...if you did not grow up in nyc or visited nyc as a youth in the 70,80,90s you cant speak on it....yall dont understand black and puerto rican relations in nyc...i know this is facts cuz yall keep making "why is fat joe saying nikka" threads...yes us black created it...but they also play a part that should not be downplayed.

Those videos are from the 1980s not the 1970s, when hiphop was actually first born! Latinos (Puerto Ricans) in HipHop is really a post-1975 thing and majorly an early 1980s thing. All the real OG Rican hiphop pioneers (I'm talking pre- Crazy Legs/Rock Steady Crew) acknowledge this.

fnt9hNL.jpg

HipHop has been around since about 71, Ricans came in more towards 1977-81, that means that Ricans were not there at the start.

qaZhKmh.jpg

according to caz, ricans came in more around 78-79

bxWaBSa.jpg

cholly rock says ricans came in around 1979-1981

puerto ricans were in the same hoods but they weren't in/around hiphop until the later 1970s because the 2 populations of the specific age group were rivals, enemies, and simply didn't associate with one another. Here is abby and trac2 talking about the negative energy that existed between blacks and latins (ricans) and that the two groups used to rumble (fight) against each other. It wasn't until they had a meeting with zulu nation that, that energy died off and the two groups came together (this is late 1970s)

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Because a lot of Mexicans/Latinos have been coming out lately saying that Latinos helped form Hip Hop in New York and Rap music is NOT black music... it's Latinos music too and that Latinos are the ones who are really responsible for starting Breakdancing in Hip Hop.

there has been weird /recent trend of Mexicans trying to make claims on hiphop being a "Latino" genre/movement via Puerto Ricans when these same mexicans be calling Ricans all types of racist names:mjlol: Cali youtuber had to call them out

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I was just about to ask this lmao.

na, there are many people who believe that Ricans were not only co-creators of Hiphop but that they actually invented breakdancing. Most of this comes from the early 1980s media when Puerto Ricans had already been welcomed into the movement and they were the ones most people saw breakdancing because most of the blacks had already moved into mcing/business of rap MUSIC

like I said before, the OG Rican pioneers always tell the truth

OG Rican bboy telling the truth about breakdancing's origins

JOJO:"It started when I was very young. My mother and my father got married and my father went to job corps. He became a welder and he came back to get his family which we were little kids at the time and he took us up to Boston, Massachusetts. We had a house and we lived there for about a year and then he died in a car accident. So my moms couldn't afford to keep the house so we had to move back to New York City. So when we moved back to New York City we really was out of a place. You know, we needed a place fast, we didn't know where.....and there was this Black lady....her name was Miss Vern Tucker.....she was a good friend of my grandmother for years and she offered to take us in and we lived with her for a few years until we got back on our feet and she became my grandmother. So her family had parties and I can truly say that my flavour and my dance spirit and all that came from being at these house parties that they used to throw and we were a part of it.We were there at these parties that they used to throw at Christmas, Thanksgiving......we were also there at their birthday parties. And slowly but surely Miss Vern Tucker became my grandma, you know what I'm saying? And her family became my cousins and that's where my flavour came from when I lived in Manhattan. I used to just dance, I used to just do steps on top and they'd be like, "Go, Jojo! Go, Jojo!!" and actually she is the one that came up with the name Jojo. So that's where that came from. So finally we found a place in the Bronx and we moved up to the Bronx and that's where it all started for me. I lived there from 1970 till 1984. So while I lived there, there was a kid that lived in my building on Grand Avenue, his name was Mark. Black kid, he lived upstairs and I lived on the first floor. So one day I was at a jam... a DJ Whitehead jam (DJ of The Triple A Crew) at 82 Park...so I'm just chilling, hanging out and all of a sudden I see Mark and Mark is Breaking!!! And that was the first time I seen somebody do footwork, so I was like, "Holy crap!" You know, he was pretty good and I just looked at it and I went and I approached him. I said, "That's kinda nice! I like that!" And he's like, "Do you get down?" 'Cause that's what we called it back then.....we called it getting down. He said, "Do you get down?" I said, "Yeah, I get down!" He said, "Can you show me?" So I did some stuff that I just knew but he said, "That's not getting down! This is getting down!!" and so he went down and did these moves. I was flabbergasted when I first seen it, I was like, "Wow! I'm gonna really learn that!" So I went home and I practiced so the next time he would see me I actually had my footwork already. It was something for me to catch it and I caught it quick and it went from there. I just kept on practicing and practicing Then I started noticing more B-Boys and witnessing more circles and that's when I was in Public School 26 on Burnside Avenue. After I left there I wasn't really dancing like in a crew or nothing like that. Then I moved to JHS 115 in the Bronx and that's when I really started exhibiting my style of dancing and all that because I got actually kinda good at it and then I used to come out at lunch time and there was always some B-Boys breaking. Like a circle and people would come out for lunch and watch and then everybody would go back in. So I ate B-Boys for lunch and that's how I met Aby (The Bronx Boys). You know, he used to come around and he always used to have somebody with him and there was always somebody dancing.

SIR NORIN RAD:"That's very interesting! You were featured in that documentary "The Freshest Kids" and you stated there something to the effect that you were actually already B-Boying when there were hardly any Puerto Ricans around doing that dance...."

JOJO:"That's exactly what I'm meaning. What I'm telling you now that's what I meant when I said that. We were the only Puerto Ricans that got busy. Now DJ Kool Tee and DJ Mr. Lee (early DJs from the West Bronx) used to give us our respect and say, "Check out the Puerto Rican B-Boys in the house! B-Boy Spiderman and B-Boy Spiderweb!" And we got busy and that was way back. Back then there were a lot of Zulu B-Boys around. They sorta ran it back then. As for the Puerto Rican B-Boys we were just up and coming. You know, we were people who wanted to learn it and got good at it 'cause, you know, they say Puerto Ricans actually put B-Boys on their back. We're the ones that started the backspinning and all these kind of moves. As far as the footwork and the flip turns that they did....that came from the Black B-Boys."

Castles In The Sky: Interview with B-Boy Jojo (The Rock Steady Crew)

^^he's an early founder of the first lineup of the Rock Steady Crew

another jewel dropped from Rock Steady Crew pioneer:

mr wiggles basically admits that ricans were like 2nd and 3rd generation bboys