Birthrates are plummeting worldwide. Can governments turn the tide?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I was watching this one youtube video on the topic , and one possible issue that might be causing this is that
people have given up on things getting better. I would say everything changed after the 2008 crash.

People before then , had hope that things would get better but now we get bombarbed with negative news about the future . Things such as climate change , the rise in cancers , forever chemicals , rise of fascism , etc ...
Interesting and I'll add this. The youth has not been given possible outcome or ideas about the future. In the 80s, people thought they were going to see flying cars and see more robots on the streets. You had shows like Star Trak, The Jetsons, and movies assuming how the future will look like. The youth today hasn't been given any of that.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I was watching this one youtube video on the topic , and one possible issue that might be causing this is that
people have given up on things getting better. I would say everything changed after the 2008 crash.

People before then , had hope that things would get better but now we get bombarbed with negative news about the future . Things such as climate change , the rise in cancers , forever chemicals , rise of fascism , etc ...

Interesting and I'll add this. The youth has not been given possible outcome or ideas about the future. In the 80s, people thought they were going to see flying cars and see more robots on the streets. You had shows like Star Trak, The Jetsons, and movies assuming how the future will look like. The youth today hasn't been given any of that.

Believe it or not I knew from an early age that I didn't want to bring children into this world. Luckily I fell in love with a woman who feels the same way. I've never regretted not having kids. I couldn't imagine being completely responsible for helpless human that will eventually talk shyt to me and then I have to explain to them why the world sucks. fukk all that.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Believe it or not I knew from an early age that I didn't want to bring children into this world. Luckily I fell in love with a woman who feels the same way. I've never regretted not having kids. I couldn't imagine being completely responsible for helpless human that will eventually talk shyt to me and then I have to explain to them why the world sucks. fukk all that.
I’ve always kinda felt the same way, but I’ll prolly still have 1-2 kids because…life

I really just don’t want to raise kids in a less than optimal setting/upbringing.

And I’m not saying that makes me wise in any way- I just personally don’t understand having children while you are struggling or figuring things out, etc and having that be your child’s experience in their formative years. And we do live in a fūcking insane world, but if you can’t figure out a path to stability and success, how are you going to guide your child or not damage them with your own trauma? Ionno.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I’ve always kinda felt the same way, but I’ll prolly still have 1-2 kids because…life

I really just don’t want to raise kids in a less than optimal setting/upbringing.

And I’m not saying that makes me wise in any way- I just personally don’t understand having children while you are struggling or figuring things out, etc and having that be your child’s experience in their formative years. And we do live in a fūcking insane world, but if you can’t figure out a path to stability and success, how are you going to guide your child or not damage them with your own trauma? Ionno.
I've barely been able to provide for myself most of my life. At no point did I think to myself "Yeah, I can handle another human on the bill."

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
I've barely been able to provide for myself most of my life. At no point did I think to myself "Yeah, I can handle another human on the bill."
And here’s the thing- I get that that is by design. It’s much harder to be average or a little below average and still give your kids a decent life. Back in the day you could be just fine with an average salary because life wasn’t expensive.
But knowing what we know, and what we’d have to do live comfortably…I just take issue with folks who are irresponsible when it comes to reproduction.

I’m all over the place so I’m going to stop now. Lol

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Population decline in of itself isn’t a bad thing. The issue is when the population pyramid flips and the population becomes very top heavy with more older people and fewer working age people. Also, the world doesn’t have an overpopulation problem, but an overconsumption problem. The US is like 5% of the global population but consumes some 20% of the resources.

The way many social systems in the west are designed, you need a a steady stream of working age folks to pay into the social safety nets. As people live longer, it puts more strain on the welfare state.

The reasons as to why people are foregoing children are multi-layered and nuanced. I don’t think you can just say “COL is too high”.

There are changing attitudes about what it means to live a fulfilled and successful life. For some, their career and being able to experience the pleasures of life when they want without the responsibility of kids is part of it. We see this in Norway where there are very generous family planning benefits but fertility rates remain low.

There’s the role of women in the work place and having more say in if, when and they have kids.

Obviously the cost to raise kids is higher today, but so too are the expectations of what’s needed to raise kids today. It’s not just enough for school and home. There’s afterschool activities, sports, music lessons etc. This plays a role into things as well.

This population demographic transition will impact Europe particularly badly. To offset the aging population, governments will have to open the door to immigrants and we already see the severe push back when you allow immigrants from countries with “different customs”.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
why do we need eternal population growth?

even shrinking for a while shouldn't be automatic crisis stations.

time value of money, central banking and borrowing from the future causing problems?

:picard:
You need it for capitalism to work.

If you're ok with having zero money after you retire or not retiring at all then shyt is fine.

Technically The just keep shyt as it is with no growth in population yet stabilized growth people have to be born but billions can't be allowed to grow old.

Again Diabetes was discovered in Ancient Egypt. They knew what it was but there was no insulin so they told people to avoid sweets and gave them as much water as they could drink usually they died in days or weeks.

Take away life saving expensive meds and shyt is a ok. Problem is who decides who lives or dies?

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
And here’s the thing- I get that that is by design. It’s much harder to be average or a little below average and still give your kids a decent life. Back in the day you could be just fine with an average salary because life wasn’t expensive.
But knowing what we know, and what we’d have to do live comfortably…I just take issue with folks who are irresponsible when it comes to reproduction.

I’m all over the place so I’m going to stop now. Lol
Life is just fine you just decided to just had to have an iphone.

Again I live in a modern big city 30 minutes away there's millions of people living fine with no running water no electricity and no roads. I know people who grew up there, They love to visit but ain't trying to live there they like flush toilets.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
We're going to be taken care of by intelligent robots by the time we retire. Most of the economy will be automated and the need for human labor will be minimal.
If that ever happens people will just decide some people ain't worth having around.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
You need it for capitalism to work.

If you're ok with having zero money after you retire or not retiring at all then shyt is fine.

nah.

that is because they borrowed from the future by starting pensions on day 1.

that is nothing to do with capitalism per-se.

it was a choice.

Technically The just keep shyt as it is with no growth in population yet stabilized growth people have to be born but billions can't be allowed to grow old.

Again Diabetes was discovered in Ancient Egypt. They knew what it was but there was no insulin so they told people to avoid sweets and gave them as much water as they could drink usually they died in days or weeks.

Take away life saving expensive meds and shyt is a ok. Problem is who decides who lives or dies?