Billions - Season 5/Part 2 (September 5th/Official Thread)

hjnm

All Star
Daps
A big criticism of Succession early on was that there were no likeable characters. But after I got used to Succession I realized you shouldn't want to like these people.

Rich people are not BETTER people just because they're rich. Sure you're more likely to get rich if you're smarter, but you still not some kind of superior being. And even if you have an above-average IQ (like Kendal, Roman, and Shiv surely have), you can still act like a total idiot in some contexts. First impression of Roman is that he's a dummy, but the truth is more like he just doesn't care about a lot of things.

But Billions seems to want to prove that it's main characters really are superior. Wendy has near supernatural skill at reading people. It's not enough for her to be just good at her job, she needs to be magical. Axe sometimes shows genius level mathematical ability, but then the bring in Taylor with GOD level math skills. But Axe has business skills on the level of Batman's crime fighting skills so they will never beat him.

And look at Chuck. Chuck is half based on Giuliani. By now most of us see Giuliani as kind of a moron. But the show has to turn their version of Giuliani into a Yale Law professor political mastermind.

Chuck is actually based on Preet Bharara and Eliot Spitzer, you are right on the characterizations though. None of these characters should be the way they are, each one of them has some fake witty pop culture reference that you can predict from three lines away. References that don't even fit the character! Who expects Axe to know Communist era Slavic dictators. Succession shows half their characters to be frauds, even Logan couldn't even understand the Shakespeare reference his guy said to him.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Teri Hatcher looks good for her age :ehh:. Rememeber her from dem Lois & Clark days.

zjc7JEv.jpg

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
This episode is was atrocious. Every interaction with Bobby and the lil breh was cringe. The jewelry "heist" storyline was the least bit entertaining, as was the Brian/Rhoades pandering. And what's worse is, they fed my baby Sacker to some trailer trash :mjcry:. Axe really is irredeemable. Flexing on ya moms like that? Smh :picard:. Seen the Rhoads and teacher shyt a mile away. Same with Wendy and/or the painter and/or Axe.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Why does Chuck hate Axe so much. All the terrible shyt that has happened to him has either been of his own making or his dad.

hjnm

All Star
Daps
Why does Chuck hate Axe so much. All the terrible shyt that has happened to him has either been of his own making or his dad.
Initially because he felt because it was the one case he needed to win to stake his claim for Governor but now it's because the writers don't how else to write the show. Also I know people love the character but Taylor doesn't fit in the show at all.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Chuck is actually based on Preet Bharara and Eliot Spitzer, you are right on the characterizations though. None of these characters should be the way they are, each one of them has some fake witty pop culture reference that you can predict from three lines away. References that don't even fit the character! Who expects Axe to know Communist era Slavic dictators. Succession shows half their characters to be frauds, even Logan couldn't even understand the Shakespeare reference his guy said to him.

One thing I meant to add:
The created the "Spyros" character to be able to contrast a non-cool lame guy trying and failing to keep up with the pop culture references that the superior lead characters are able to effortlessly roll off.

"let's all laugh at the guy that didn't actually properly memorize the script for all the 'badass' movies from 1967 to 1987!! What a NERD! And not one of our cool nerds who are godly at 'Magic the Gathering'-style card games!"

I kind of feel bad for that guy.