Best story you've ever seen in a modern game? Last 5 years

Daps
I'd add Prey.

I agree, Soma has a much more interesting story to tell compared to the bigger games like Red Dead and tlou, which are like Oscar bait for videogames.

I need to play Prey once I'm done playing Humanity.

Agreed regarding SOMA. I think about the ending at times, and the entire journey is filled with depth.

I think what separates stories like SOMA v. TLOU is how much the developers demand from the player.

It is impossible to not understand TLOU's story, but every person will feel differently about it.

At the same time, each person will interpret the ending of SOMA differently and feel differently.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
As a Sony movie gamer this one is tough for me.
So many come to mind. Some old and some new:

Chrono Trigger (all time classic that really opened my eyes to what was possible within a video game story)
The last Of Us 1 and 2 (the seen with Joel was a dreadful masterpiece of story telling)
God Of War (The entire series although at this point I was hoping Kratos would die a legendary death)
Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 (I feel like the story of both get slept on slightly. It's respected, but I think it should get a higher level of praise for what they accomplished)
Metal Gear Solid (despite the sloppiness of it all; It's not Shakespeare but it's definitely entertaining)
Final Fantasy 7 is special to me. Pretty clear cut story but it does what it does almost exceptionally well.
Alan Wake is pretty dope since it shakes up the formula a bit.
Bioshock 1 (would you kindly)
Condemned Criminal Origins (I feel like this game has been historically underrated like crazy)
Mass Effect Trilogy (curse you for that sloppy ending but man the journey through that trilogy was goat tier)
Eternal Darkness (what a freakin game. the way they break the 4th wall is something that devs should study)
Last five years breh.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Horizon Zero Dawn. I thought Forbidden West got a little too far out there, but HZD is one of my favorite gaming experiences of recent times.

Detroit: Become Human also, along with TLOU 1 and 2
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that and it alos released in 2018 (I think?). If it did, then that's like probably number 2 for story for me. Took me years to get back to it to beat it, but once I did and saw how deep the backstory was and what Zero Dawn was really about, I was blown away.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Don’t know if you got that far in but the major plot twist at the end was :wow:

the master who trained you is actually the main bad guy and “The Glorious Strategist” who basically raised you to do a bunch of shyt that fell into his plans. All throughout the game people comment on how your fighting style was so unique but really the whole time he trained you it was a very subtle flaw that only he could exploit when the time came to fight you years and years later
I got to play this game on a emulator one day.