Who's the MVP of 1994?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grand_Verbalizer

All Star
Daps

This.

Everyone is on the fellowship dikk.
if they are a double time melody based emcee whether they know it or not.
They are the all time masters of flows and use of vocal change to just different voices in rap history.
Plus the actual draw for double time with street based undertones and employed melody is all from their original rubrick.
The fellowship are the all time flow masters.

Art Barr

What's hilarious is if you put an autotune effect on the last verse of "my fantasy" (hydro planing while I was ..) those speaking that "unlocking flows" nonsense heads would explode

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Yeah you're right about hip hop calendars but for the purposes of these threads we just gonna stick by the standard calendar year

I totally get that

But then all they have to show for 1991 is some singles but not the entire album. At least the album, which dropped a year prior, had all those tracks on there.

Yet those details go into this convo because that is how it was.
History should NOT be ignored or amalgamated because others may not be familiar.
Part of knowing this shyt is knowing those details.
Including their relevance to how everything occurred in real time.
Not including those detail would make this discussion outta there as far as real.
In any of these discussion legacy wise that was always a component and it should not change.

If that's the case then chronic and its radio explosion for ain't nuffin but a g thang being slow burn and not occuring on a pop scale to April of the following year it debuted.
as a national known pop radio phenomenon and daytime programmed would hurt that year.
The quarter system is very important to this discussion.
Especially before rap and the mid to late nineties radio acts WERE ALLOWED DAYTIME PROGRAMMING AS A SCIENCE to the industry.
Also das efx is relevant in the same thing with how long they want efx drew from its slow burn release to daytime playlist as well.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Yet those details go into this convo because that is how it was.
History should be ignored or amalgamated because others may not be familiar.
Part of knowing this shyt is knowing those details.
Including their relevance to how everything occurred in real time.
Not including those detail would make this discussion outta there as far as real.
In any of these discussion legacy wise that was always a component and it should not change.

If that's the case then chronic and its radio explosion for ain't nuffin but a g thang being slow burn and not occuring on a pop scale to April of the following year it debuted.
as a national known pop radio phenomenon and daytime programmed would hurt that year.
The quarter system is very important to this discussion.
Especially before rap and the mid to late nineties radio acts.
Also das efx is relevant in the same thing with how long they want efx drew from its slow burn release to daytime playlist as well.

Art Barr

Yeah I guess you're right

But what do we do in the case of Biggie Smalls for example? Is he 1994? 1995? Or both?

@mobbinfms is it time to reconsider the requisites?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
What's hilarious is if you put an autotune effect on the last verse of "my fantasy" (hydro planing while I was ..) those speaking that "unlocking flows" nonsense heads would explode

I am so glad someone else is around to say this other than me for a change.
Thank you breh for adding to this discussion.

I been telling commercial uninformed rap fans here and in real life for twenty three plus years.
double time was already pushed to the limit skill wise in every facet by tha fellowship.
Plus, bone is easily ruthless's attempt to capitalize on THA fellowship's cultural responsibility.
Whereas bone is the strictly gangsta content based alternative rap group to THA fellowship.

Art Barr

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Yeah you're right about hip hop calendars but for the purposes of these threads we just gonna stick by the standard calendar year

I totally get that

But then all they have to show for 1991 is some singles but not the entire album. At least the album, which dropped a year prior, had all those tracks on there.

:yeshrug:
its just not fair... by that logic the earlier one drop'd the more advantage they have

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
its just not fair... by that logic the earlier one drop'd the more advantage they have

Yeah I'm rethinking my stance on this

So does Biggie belong to 94, 95 or both?

And let's say he's in 95. What gives him an advantage over those who released albums such as Pac or Raekwon for example?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

But what do we do in the case of Biggie Smalls for example? Is he 1994? 1995? Or both?

Well big is pretty simple because he was basically two different artist by his vocal tonality growth and change.

Big from late 91 to rtd is a completely different artist from ramped up big after the closing of unbelievable.
Yet unbelievable is the bside to his debut single, tho.

Redman, common, chronic, snoop, wutang, das efx, del, plus a number of others in this discussion.
Those details have to be noted and included or it won't be indicative of what really occured and how and why it occurred.

As, some records in legacy, especially in the radio admin change all garnered a draw or added draw in a pop scale.
Well after their release a year or in das efx and pharcyde favor a couple years after release.
Even LL cool in 84-85, comes into this fold as well.

So, a lot would be lost if this is not included.
It would boil down to the single or the lp's explosion and why and what triggered it.
Plus, the time and era was a slowburn era.
where a record was worked and may not have gained any traction.
Yet was a dark horse favorite.
till it finally got a larger draw from sheer conviction to the material from the fans or the label or both.

Like big, dreams at one point was the top freaky sex record.
When freaky tale sex records fell out of favor culturally from the whole dee Barnes nwa and admjn issues ice cube faced in going to priority with the bomb squad production as a collective. As cube and nwa ushered in the freaky sex kinda parody interlude record.
Which was culturally taboo and hurt too short's cultural standing originally. that became a staple to gangsta rap albums for that era that was copied by biter based gangsta rap groups trying to capitalize on the 20/20 nighttime pr's draw of nwa.
Yet the white label, for dreams was released at least a year before mjb's 411 remix album would make it available to standard fanbases as a consistent listen.
Yet the carry over was important to setup big and Craig Mack to bad boy as a drawing label as well.
All from the dark horse, draw of party and bullshjt carryover from the who's the man sdtrk as well.

Art Barr

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

@Art Barr @kingofnyc
List all the exceptions to album release date. 85-2015.
Or if there can be a hard and fast rule. Propose it.
Seems to me too much of an emphasis on singles.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Not if you take into account all singles and remixes from an album, even if the singles/remixes drop the following calendar year.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Yeah I'm rethinking my stance on this

So does Biggie belong to 94, 95 or both?

And let's say he's in 95. What gives him an advantage over those who released albums such as Pac or Raekwon for example?

I don't personally think anybody should be disqualified for 'said year' as long as a legitimate case can be made for them

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I don't personally think anybody should be disqualified for 'said year' as long as a legitimate case can be made for them
But then it comes back to what do we consider for which year?
Why not consider the whole album cycle for the year the album dropped?
That way people who had a crazy single at the end of a year get the benefit of that single for the next year when the album dropped. And we already know how it works for people whose albums drop at then end of the year b