Best Cities For Black People In...Part II: VIRGINIA

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Move to downtown Chicago. Lots of beaches there. Or Milwaukee lol

Them ain't the same as a real beach. They're lakes, not the actual ocean.

I want some shyt I can go to anytime. Like one of my coworkers got parents that stay in Jersey and the beach don't never close.

TDA92

Yo cousin Craig..hook us up.
Daps
@murksiderock

You should categorize some of those cities. I was looking at houses in Petersburg which are cheap:ohhh:, but turns own it's poor. Not a good place for black folks who want to

Northern VA rent and home prices seem to be on crack levels too but granted a lot of the houses look new and large. But the type of houses I like were def going for 800k and above
Omg they are. I'm blessed to have lived there but I'm not paying a $4,500 mortgage with zero backyard space :snoop:

darkmanp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
VA
@murksiderock

You should categorize some of those cities. I was looking at houses in Petersburg which are cheap:ohhh:, but turns own it's poor. Not a good place for black folks who want to be relatively safe.

I lived in Petersburg from 2009 to 2017. Went to school at VSU. Then lived in a Chesterfield apartment before buying a house last year in the Henrico area. Still go down to Petersburg often for work.

Like a lot of places, it has it's good and bad areas. Zip code makes a difference in Petersburg. I stayed in the 23803 and 23805. My apartment in the 23803 was in a hood area. Abandoned apartment buildings, stray pitbulls running around, being woke up from domestic violence from neighbors above, etc. My biggest fear was my apartment getting burglarized while was out of town Move into an apartment in the 23805 a year later, and didn't have those problems. A lot of Fort Lee soldiers stayed in the complex. Way nicer. Crazy thing is a couple of years later they found 2 white dudes shot to death in a car at the apartment complex I was at in the 23803. Unless you're downtown or in a gated loft, I wouldn't stay in that zip again.

AceMan

Superstar
Daps
I used to visit Springfield, VA a lot since my ex-wife used to stay with her uncle there. Area seems wonderful but it seemed filled with old CACs.

full

One of my favorite restaurants, Mike’s American Grill, is in that area though.

Joe Theismann’s Restaurant messed up old school King Street, Alexandria, VA!! NoVa has the best lounges/parties if you want a classy hoodrat though.

Quite a few MD ppl go down to VA to shop and be “bougie”.

Daps
How do you guys feel about Chesterfield? I made a thread a month ago about being transferred to work in Richmond before the end of the year. I since visited Chesterfield which has newer homes which I prefer but not so sure about how diverse it is. It doesn’t seem like much of a drive tina Richmond either which is where I would be working at.
I’m in Chesterfield now. Been here for 2 years. I was in the Midlothian area at first but bought a home towards northern chesterfield. I rock with Chesterfield. Midlothian/Brandermill is real nice but it’s white as hell. I had to get use to that. Where I’m at now it’s nothing but black and Latino families. But overall it’s a nice area. I’m not a city person at all so being on the outskirts of Richmond works for me. But you can’t go wrong with Chesterfield or Henrico.

Where are you moving here from?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Bang for buck wise, what are the best cities for blacks near the ocean? I don't expect zero crime either.

Well there's actual beaches in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Newport News, so living anywhere within these cities puts you in easy proximity to the ocean. It's cheaper to live on The Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News) than it is to live on the Southside (Virginia Beach, Norfolk). Each one of these cities is great for black people in different ways, so there isn't really a wrong answer. I think if you narrow your search to those 4 cities that have beaches, it then depends on other lifestyle criteria you're looking for!

I know a lil something about these two cities :lolbron::lolbron:

Spit it out then brodie 😆...

Hopewell is cheap, y'all lol

And is worse than Petersburg. This is a setup, yall 🤣...

I lived in Petersburg from 2009 to 2017. Went to school at VSU. Then lived in a Chesterfield apartment before buying a house last year in the Henrico area. Still go down to Petersburg often for work.

Like a lot of places, it has it's good and bad areas. Zip code makes a difference in Petersburg. I stayed in the 23803 and 23805. My apartment in the 23803 was in a hood area. Abandoned apartment buildings, stray pitbulls running around, being woke up from domestic violence from neighbors above, etc. My biggest fear was my apartment getting burglarized while was out of town Move into an apartment in the 23805 a year later, and didn't have those problems. A lot of Fort Lee soldiers stayed in the complex. Way nicer. Crazy thing is a couple of years later they found 2 white dudes shot to death in a car at the apartment complex I was at in the 23803. Unless you're downtown or in a gated loft, I wouldn't stay in that zip again.

💯 ...

I used to visit Springfield, VA a lot since my ex-wife used to stay with her uncle there. Area seems wonderful but it seemed filled with old CACs.

full

One of my favorite restaurants, Mike’s American Grill, is in that area though.

Joe Theismann’s Restaurant messed up old school King Street, Alexandria, VA!! NoVa has the best lounges/parties if you want a classy hoodrat though.

Quite a few MD ppl go down to VA to shop and be “bougie”.

Maryland and District residents hang out in VA all the time, and vice versa. It's easy to get around between the three, I lived in Woodbridge and the nearest Metro stop was in Springfield and you could move easily around the area...

My opinion though, the actual city of Washington is preferable to both the VA and MD sides of DMV, but I'm also more of a city dweller than suburban oriented...

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
The fact your mom's family can trace their ancestry back to even 1780 (or even sooner) is part of what I was mentioning upthread. I've only seen this in Virginia, black families that can recount their ancestry going back 250 years in the case of your mom, or even further in the case of other families I met...

Most Black Americans can't go beyond 100 years, if even that far. This is a special, special thing about Virginia specifically...

1790 is just when the first white ancestor appears. my ancestry.com tree goes back the the 1500s

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
I’m in Chesterfield now. Been here for 2 years. I was in the Midlothian area at first but bought a home towards northern chesterfield. I rock with Chesterfield. Midlothian/Brandermill is real nice but it’s white as hell. I had to get use to that. Where I’m at now it’s nothing but black and Latino families. But overall it’s a nice area. I’m not a city person at all so being on the outskirts of Richmond works for me. But you can’t go wrong with Chesterfield or Henrico.

Where are you moving here from?
Thanks for the insight. I'm originally from NJ but been living in Poconos in PA for the last 5 years. I kinda threw out Chesterfield because I'm seeing that the homes are newer and bigger. I honestly don't Wana feel like I downgraded from my current home when I move down there so Chesterfield seems like a better bang for the buck. I wanted a town that was close enough to Richmond but with a good school district (no kids yet). A mix area is important to me however. The current house I have is the perfect house for the wife and I however the area is not diverse at all. It wasn't an issue early on because it was the "house or our dream" but that wears off after awhile when there's no one that has shared experiences.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
I was around when the nightlife was amazing. There was so much to do down in Shockoe and the fan. Have A Nice Day Cafe (closed) Mansion (closed) The Pilazzio or Vanquish Nightclub (closed). Fishbowl (closed and turned into a bar). Kingdom Nightclub (closed down on 2014 I believe due to vioence)violence. And that was just 7 years ago, I already know it was lit way before that too.

Crime was worse back then, but now it's starting to get back to that. There's not even a Creighton Court anymore. There's black people all over Richmond but it's concentrated in high crime, high poverty areas. The city is pushing black people to the projects, not Short Pump or Chesterfield. I lived all over Richmond. From Mosby to Henrico Arms to WCary St to Lincoln Mews back to Cool Ln and now Chamberlayne.
Mansion used to have so much fukkery :heh: