Best Cities For Black People In...Part II: VIRGINIA

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Ok what makes Virginia so good for black people? Northern VA which seems to be the economic powerhouse of VA seems to be mostly cacs and Indians. I actually thought of moving to Tyson Corner to work at KPMG a few years back and didn’t see much Brehs out there.

Any list of middle class black upper class communities and what is the main power position of black folks? (Federal government?)

The history is really unmatched in other places I've lived and I've detailed that upthread...

VA isn't the best for black people in terms of income to poverty disparity. If you're looking for the soul of Black VA you aren't gonna find it in NoVa, may as well not even mention NoVa...

Richmond and it's suburbs have plenty of middle class and up communities. 757 has plenty from NN/Hampton to VB/Nfk, Suffolk has plenty, Chesapeake has plenty...

There are spots that have integration while also maintaining heavy black presence within the neighborhood pulse, it isn't like other places that become less black culturally once nonblacks move in, I just detailed that with two specific Richmond neighborhoods. It's a unique thing I haven't really seen elsewhere...

I really need people to chime in on Southside and SW areas like Roanoke and Lynchburg that I'm less familiar with. Bit I don't know why you'd think Virginia doesn't have stable or well off black folk...

I recommend the whole 757. Specifically VA Beach.

My Green Run brother by way of Philly 😆. Aint you in Florida or somewhere now or you still spend time in The Beach too?

Muhfukkas really don't know how dope The Beach is for us as a people!

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Most of these places are not in the DMV

He wasn't saying they were, he was just speaking on DMV...

DMV is good for blacks but since this thread is about Virginia, DMV is better fir us on the Maryland side. The VA side is hyper-integrated with no real majority black neighborhoods and a dearth of black representation in politics and community compared to elsewhere in VA. There are plenty of us there but we are spread out and less interconnected...

Not to mention the enormous cost lof living for working class people. DMV is cool but it's overrated, honestly if one is interested in the "DMV" the actual District is light years more preferable than either the VA or MD side in my opinion...

TDA92

Yo cousin Craig..hook us up.
Daps
Is that chicken spot still at the gas station on Chamberlayne behind the McNasty's? I can't remember the name but that chicken spot was fukking A1...
You talking about inside the gas station? Krispies? I think so. That ugly ass Popeyes is still there lol. I live up Chamberlayne by Azalea and boyyyyy I love my people but the drugs got a chokehold on them. Up and down Chamberlayne.

TDA92

Daps
I’m talking specifically the 7 cities. VA Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Hampton, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Newport News.

But I’m sure it’s similar by DC. DC is black af and got a lot of successful black ppl.
Correct. My dad works for the Capitol and we used to live in Chantilly (about 30-45 minutes from DC) until I graduated. Beautiful area to raise a family. The traffic is insane though. I'll never live up there again because of it.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
You talking about inside the gas station? Krispies? I think so. That ugly ass Popeyes is still there lol. I live up Chamberlayne by Azalea and boyyyyy I love my people but the drugs got a chokehold on them. Up and down Chamberlayne.

Yeah the one inside the gas station! Got damn that shyt was crack...

Chamberlayne always was hot like that. Always junkies running around and impromptu car shows...

TDA92

Daps
Ok what makes Virginia so good for black people? Northern VA which seems to be the economic powerhouse of VA seems to be mostly cacs and Indians. I actually thought of moving to Tyson Corner to work at KPMG a few years back and didn’t see much Brehs out there.

Any list of middle class black upper class communities and what is the main power position of black folks? (Federal government?)
Tyson's Corner is hell on Earth for traffic alone. I haven't t been there in years and it's a shame because it's beautiful but nah lol

TDA92

Daps
Yeah the one inside the gas station! Got damn that shyt was crack...

Chamberlayne always was hot like that. Always junkies running around and impromptu car shows...
They super wilding now. I will say Chamberlayne cleaned up a lot of their properties and it's CLEAN. They do not play when it comes to the no littering. A lot of black people live here and it's clean and some what safe (sometimes). So I'm pretty content with Nawfside. It's just the crackheads :noah:

TDA92

Daps
Alexandria comes up as having a population that is around 20% black. I guess that’s good for someone like myself that was raised around diversity.
Yes, lots of black immigrants as well. Northern VA is probably one of the most diverse areas in the country.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
VA was different, for one, of course I'd seen lightskinned blacks before but o don't think I ever saw entire families of light brights like that, meaning mom, dad, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, everyone. But i didn't even notice this until I left VA after high school, because in VA skin tone was rarely brought up. We knew they were black like us...

I think my experience as an adolescent in VA is why I detest the phrases "mixed" or "biracial people not black" so much. Everybody black in the US is "mixed" with white ancestry to various degrees, unless you are a recent immigrant or child of recent immigrants. It has never diminished your blackness. I never knew a "biracial" person in Virginia who didn't claim themselves as black, never saw that until I left Virginia, and this doesn't mean VA biracial don't do this at all, but it's more rare here than anywhere else...

:ohhh:

oh wow this is interesting, there should be a documentary or something on this
i remember when the oldheads told me about this I would keep having confirmation bias where I would meet someone in school or whatever, their whole family would be light skin and they'd originally be from VA. So I just grew up thinking this was a thing (i'm from PA). Crazy that it's actually real

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Yes, lots of black immigrants as well. Northern VA is probably one of the most diverse areas in the country.
Yea I compare northern VA to Northern NJ a lot. I think there was a thread on this on city data too so I’m not bugging when I say the two are similar except NOrthern NJ has way higher property taxes

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

while NoVa has a lower black population compared to neighboring areas the black families that live in Nova are generally all middle to high income and it's very safe with good public schools. It's not for everyone but if you want high income - safe neighborhoods PWC, Fairfax, Stafford etc. are pretty good places for black families.