Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Spit it out then brodie 😆...

Nothing major;

I moved to Portsmouth after being born/raised in New Orleans (still have strong ties because 75% of my family never left and both my parents from New Orleans). And I went to Virginia State #HailState

VSU looked damn near like a PWI (big, and beautiful) the last time I went after I graduated. They even purchased the property (which was just run down houses) around the school to expand. It looked like a big high school by the time I graduated.

Petersburg is the city where it's too shytty to have fun, but, also too shytty to raise a family. It looked like the worst parts of Portsmouth in a concentrated area.

Never got into any trouble--too shook not to graduate on time as the first kid to go to college.

I prolly should've stayed close to home (would've been less scared and I could hung out with my older cousin who moved from NO to VA a couple yrs before I graduated).

I'm in Nashville, now, but, I'm strongly looking to move back and maybe slide to Hampton, VA--where my cousin lives with his fam, now.

I went to VSU the year right after College Hill. One of the dudes went to my high school. And the Alicia Keys looking girl and the white boy were still there my freshman year :laugh:.

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Thanks for the added info. My main wants are newer homes, in mixed area and a good school district.

Strangely enough alot of these schools have crappy ratings besides some I saw around Chesterfield.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Thanks for the added info. My main wants are newer homes, in mixed area and a good school district.

Strangely enough alot of these schools have crappy ratings besides some I saw around Chesterfield.

Chesterfield and Hanover have the best schools in the metro but if you're already leaving The Poconos because they are too white, you wouldn't like Hanover. Chesterfield is a better look 100%!

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Chesterfield and Hanover have the best schools in the metro but if you're already leaving The Poconos because they are too white, you wouldn't like Hanover. Chesterfield is a better look 100%!

Thanks. I dove down to VA for a day and drove around Chesterfield and it does seem nice. Hopefully I find out soon when I'm getting transfered . I'll probably do a month to month rent until the wife finds a job down there before buying a house. I rushed it with my current home and don't Wana do that again.

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
I stay in the Woodbridge area now. Moved up here a few years ago. It's definitely pricey up this way. The only thing I hate is the traffic. It's bottlenecked on I95 everyday. I'd move out to Stafford or Fredericksburg if the traffic wasn't so bad. The various ways to get the bag is the main reason I moved up here.:takedat: I thought about moving somewhere in MD so I don't have to pay that stupid property tax on my car like I do in VA. I like DC (very pricey) but the shooting is getting bad there, at least in NE and SE.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The 'Seven Cities" area (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, Virginia Beach, & Chesapeake) has its problems depending on which city you live in, but for the most part it is a pretty decent area for us to raise children. There are a lot of us here, and a good bit of us are middle to upper middle class to boot.

The only real complaint I have about the area is that the restaurants here suck. I have been here over 20 years and have found nothing here that seems to be on the level of restaurants in Los Angeles, New York, DMV, Atlanta, etc. So yea, if you are from outside of the area don't expect the food establishments here to be exemplary.

Oh yea, and like one other brother implied on here, Portsmouth is crap. Everyone in this area recognizes that Portsmouth is crap, but Portsmouth. /joking, well not really joking.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The 'Seven Cities" area (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, Virginia Beach, & Chesapeake) has its problems depending on which city you live in, but for the most part it is a pretty decent area for us to raise children. There are a lot of us here, and a good bit of us are middle to upper middle class to boot.

The only real complaint I have about the area is that the restaurants here suck. I have been here over 20 years and have found nothing here that seems to be on the level of restaurants in Los Angeles, New York, DMV, Atlanta, etc. So yea, if you are from outside of the area don't expect the food establishments here to be exemplary.

Oh yea, and like one other brother implied on here, Portsmouth is crap. Everyone in this area recognizes that Portsmouth is crap, but Portsmouth. /joking, well not really joking.

Bro you can't compare the dining scene in Hampton Roads to places like DMV, NY, LA, those cities are multiple times larger. Of course the scene in Tidewater can't compare to them...

That said I don't really disagree with you, even comparing to metros of the same weight class. There are some hidden gems though...

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
BTW, if you're in the southern 757, they're building new apartment/condo/single homes all over.

A local school bus driver just put out a note saying she has 70-80 more kids this year already so if you haven't submitted your bus info to them you better get it done.

:huhldup:

And the traffic increase has been noticable. What used to be a 15 minute drive is now 25, pretty much any time of day. It kind of sucks TBH...

:beli:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Bro you can't compare the dining scene in Hampton Roads to places like DMV, NY, LA, those cities are multiple times larger. Of course the scene in Tidewater can't compare to them...

That said I don't really disagree with you, even comparing to metros of the same weight class. There are some hidden gems though...
Oh I know, I am still disappointed that I have not found those hidden gems.

We've sought advice from many who are born and raised in this area, and still have come away for the most part disappointed in the suggestions. I guess our experiences of being at many other places from east to the west coasts have inhibited our ability to accept what is around us here.

Also, we have been to places like Elizabeth City NC, Athens & Augusta Ga, places similar in scope to Tidewater. I do feel that the food in those places were still superior to what we have here in Tidewater. Heck, even Williamsburg has better food, and it is only 40minutes away.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Ok what makes Virginia so good for black people? Northern VA which seems to be the economic powerhouse of VA seems to be mostly cacs and Indians. I actually thought of moving to Tyson Corner to work at KPMG a few years back and didn’t see much Brehs out there.

Any list of middle class black upper class communities and what is the main power position of black folks? (Federal government?)
757 is where black are really at

NOVA just pays more