Best Cities For Black People In...Part II: VIRGINIA

todd1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Portage, Indiana
Petersburg has survived and they've revitalized Old Towne but the rest of the city is crumbling. The Heights, East 36, Walnut Hill etc all in decay. They have a nice lil shopping center on the site of the old Walnut Mall but the rest of Walnut Hill is declining. Pocahontas Island is a fukking shell of itself, it's like 10 people living there now and all the homes are falling apart or been razed, Lotta empty spots where houses once stood...

I remember playing at the basketball court there as a teen and it's done now, grass through the court, one goal leaning halfway down. They really letting Pocahontas Island of all places, be returned to nature...

They've built up the deep deep end of South Crater, moved Southside Regional there, so it's decent over there. Alot of these white people who invested in Old Towne and the near Southside are from Richmond, few moved into them refurbished mansions but mostly they are big monied white investors from Rich who saw money in Downtown Petersburg...

I got love for The Burg, I basically went to high school there (I went to Prince George in the mid-00s). Then I came back for a stretch as an adult and lived in what was lofts above the old Butterworth's store downtown in 2015-16. Never no real trouble during my year there but other buildings in the vicinity of Old Towne were made into lofts and there were robberies and shootings...

If you remember the old Butterworth's furniture store, it's now an art museum and you can get to it from inside the building. They had bathrooms downstairs and you could slide into it, it was pretty dope; all the upper levels are lofts...

Like I said I do have love for Petersburg but it's so impoverished and violent I can't call it a good place for black people...

Bruh tell me what it was like growing up here! You're older than me, I wasn't alive in '85 and didn't know anything about Petersburg dying before the 90s, because everyone I met always said the city's fortunes went downhill when the tornado hit. So I assumed that to be true. How long have you been away, and what made you leave?

There is soooo much history in Petersburg, especially black history, but you have to want to seek out the charm. There is so much history in Virginia, bro I tell everyone I know there isn't a more historic land for black people in the US than Virginia, and I believe that with all my heart. We have it in fukking spades. It's the birthplace of Black Culture on this stolen land, so so much shyt to learn and explore. Did you know this growing up, or am I just a transplant who was enthralled with seeing stuff I didn't see where I came from (California initially, and as my travels expanded I STILL have never seen anywhere alike Virginia in terms of its historic meaning to black people)?

Okay you were on the white side 🤣...

Growing up in The P what was your impression of The Beach? I learned that most locals didn't have good impressions of the city but my experience starkly contrasted that. Most of us are on the western half of the city in Northwest/Southwest VB. I absolutely love it there, need to make a return trip soon!
I was born at Ft Lee in 1972….grew up in Oakhurst Subdivision. Went to Walnut Hill Elementary, Va Avenue Elementary, Peabody Jr High (before it was a middle school…..my mom graduated from Peabody High School!). PHS c/o 90. I had a blast growing up there. We were the first black family to live in Oakhurst back then, 1977. It was a cool, normal existence. My pops worked for UPS after retiring from the Army. Moms worked for the school system. Once the tobacco plant left in 83 (I think), a LOT of people left. Before that Petersburg had like 50k residents. After that it went to like 39k almost instantly. Once the drugs came in. It was bad, but I guess being from there I didn’t really notice it. I was thinking about it 10 years ago. Literally EVERY friend I had that lived in my neighborhood is either in jail for slanging or dead. Trippy. I saw the lack of opportunities early in high school and decided I was leaving. I graduated in 90 and went to college in Ohio. I came back for visits and stuff, but I never had any intention of returning. My younger brother passed in 2017 and my mom moved to Maryland. I haven’t been to VA since then. I still have cousins there, but no immediate family. I miss the history, and the small town feel. When I was a kid, there wasn’t a dangerous place in the city. We would ride our bike all over. I’m very sad for what my hometown has become

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I was born at Ft Lee in 1972….grew up in Oakhurst Subdivision. Went to Walnut Hill Elementary, Va Avenue Elementary, Peabody Jr High (before it was a middle school…..my mom graduated from Peabody High School!). PHS c/o 90. I had a blast growing up there. We were the first black family to live in Oakhurst back then, 1977. It was a cool, normal existence. My pops worked for UPS after retiring from the Army. Moms worked for the school system. Once the tobacco plant left in 83 (I think), a LOT of people left. Before that Petersburg had like 50k residents. After that it went to like 39k almost instantly. Once the drugs came in. It was bad, but I guess being from there I didn’t really notice it. I was thinking about it 10 years ago. Literally EVERY friend I had that lived in my neighborhood is either in jail for slanging or dead. Trippy. I saw the lack of opportunities early in high school and decided I was leaving. I graduated in 90 and went to college in Ohio. I came back for visits and stuff, but I never had any intention of returning. My younger brother passed in 2017 and my mom moved to Maryland. I haven’t been to VA since then. I still have cousins there, but no immediate family. I miss the history, and the small town feel. When I was a kid, there wasn’t a dangerous place in the city. We would ride our bike all over. I’m very sad for what my hometown has become

Man I appreciate you sharing. I'm sad at what it's become too, because even when I was growing up in the early/mid 00s there it wasn't what it is now. There were drugs and junkies sure, but the pervasive violence all over the city was not at the degree it is today...

Hopewell is headed the same way, and it's funny, I've noticed as Richmond has really improved as a city over the last 12-15 years, the Hopewell and Petersburg have gone the opposite way simultaneously. One would think it's Richmond's worst being pushed down 95 but that's not even it. Those two cities are spiraling, but at least Petersburg has some investment in the downtown area. Hopewell does too but it's downtown was always weak I'm my experience and the city in general was never as authentically black, in all the positive ways, as Petersburg...

For everything bad about Petersburg, Hopewell is worse. Hopewell didn't even have a major violence problem growing up, Petersburg did every so often but Hopewell was not a violent place...

VICVALLIN

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm on my second stint living in the Hampton Roads area (military, obviously) and this time around as a married father of 2, I appreciate it so much more. We live in Carrollton, on the other side of the James River Bridge from Hampton/Newport News. My wife likes living in the suburbs, but close enough to the city that we're not disconnected from civilization and Black people.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm on my second stint living in the Hampton Roads area (military, obviously) and this time around as a married father of 2, I appreciate it so much more. We live in Carrollton, on the other side of the James River Bridge from Hampton/Newport News. My wife likes living in the suburbs, but close enough to the city that we're not disconnected from civilization and Black people.

You must be at Eustis? Where are you guys originally from?