Best Cities for Black People In...Part I: NORTH CAROLINA

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm torn between North Carolina and Texas as the spot I want to settle.

Where are you coming from and what kinds of lifestyle things are important to you?

Personally, it would take a whole lot more money than I have now to get me to choose Texas over NC. I like living in a coastal state, and NC is more southern than I'd like, Texas is way too southern for me. But depending on what you're looking for can narrow your options!

It's like part of me thinks it's just some long dead white guy's name. But you just know back in the day they joked on the name hard and used it to intimidate black people.

I just looked it up. It is just a dead white guy's name 😆...

But that white guy's brother is who the term "lynching" is attributed to:

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Where are you coming from and what kinds of lifestyle things are important to you?

Personally, it would take a whole lot more money than I have now to get me to choose Texas over NC. I like living in a coastal state, and NC is more southern than I'd like, Texas is way too southern for me. But depending on what you're looking for can narrow your options!

I just looked it up. It is just a dead white guy's name 😆...

But that white guy's brother is who the term "lynching" is attributed to:

I'm currently located in alabama. Little small unassuming country town. Very slow paced, safe (familiar)

I'm honestly not really for the big fast metropolitan hustle bustle (too much traffic, overpriced, etc). I'm too used to what I'm used to already to really go through some major culture shock

Something that's more slower paced, chill, but still nice with things to do is my speed.

I'm not even sure if that makes sense.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm currently located in alabama. Little small unassuming country town. Very slow paced, safe (familiar)

I'm honestly not really for the big fast metropolitan hustle bustle (too much traffic, overpriced, etc). I'm too used to what I'm used to already to really go through some major culture shock

Something that's more slower paced, chill, but still nice with things to do is my speed.

I'm not even sure if that makes sense.

It makes sense bro. There are plenty of places like that in both states!

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
@murksiderock thinking of Charlotte or Durham down the line due to them supposedly having a lot of opportunities in the IT field. Just tired of the crime and depressing nature of Memphis.
One of my homegirls from Memphis was just out in Greensboro last month and is considering moving her and her daughter there, same reasons...

What other quality of life factors matter to you? That way I can tell you whether Durm or Clt is a better fit for what you're looking for...

Both cities are similar in terms of violence and crime; Durm is slightly worse than Clt because it's smaller and the hot areas are closer to each other than in Clt, but overall, they not really that different in terms of violence. Durm has a worse historical reputation for crime but both it and Clt are like 3x safer than Memphis, no joke. The worst areas in both cities are not even comparable to the worst areas I'm Memphis...

It's easy to avoid hot areas in the big Carolina cities because the crime isn't pervasive citywide...

Clt around 33.5% black, Durm around 36.3% black, compared to Memphis being like 62.4% black, but both cities are MUCH better cities for black people. You'll see a significantly higher degree of diversity than you ever find in Memphis. Both cities have a stronger black business climate, less black poverty, more black wealth, stronger black middle class, more educated Blacks, and we have representation in both cities on the civic level...

Having lived in both Clt and Memphis it's not even close, Charlotte is 10x the city Memphis is. I used to work in Durham and I've otherwise visited many, many times. It isn't my favorite city but my personal tastes may be different from yours. I'd still recommend it to any mobile black folk over Memphis...

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
@murksiderock thinking of Charlotte or Durham down the line due to them supposedly having a lot of opportunities in the IT field. Just tired of the crime and depressing nature of Memphis.
My boy from West Memphis. moved up here to DMV few years and never looked back. Says everytime he goes back to visit it just feels like a wasteland. Now that he got a little one he said he ain't never moving back there

RTP is a great spot for black folks if you trying to do the career wife kids with the picket fence lifestyle.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Surprised durham is only 36% black.

Even with gentrification it still feels at least half black to me.
But N.C. is cool if you're trying to settle down like everyone else has said.

Even my neighborhood here in the outskirts of the triangle has a lot of black families with decent sized houses.

But you can't go wrong with Charlotte or greensboro either.

But I'm a city guy at heart and If it wasn't for family, I'd be outta here.

Last edited:

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
One of my homegirls from Memphis was just out in Greensboro last month and is considering moving her and her daughter there, same reasons...

What other quality of life factors matter to you? That way I can tell you whether Durm or Clt is a better fit for what you're looking for...

Both cities are similar in terms of violence and crime; Durm is slightly worse than Clt because it's smaller and the hot areas are closer to each other than in Clt, but overall, they not really that different in terms of violence. Durm has a worse historical reputation for crime but both it and Clt are like 3x safer than Memphis, no joke. The worst areas in both cities are not even comparable to the worst areas I'm Memphis...

It's easy to avoid hot areas in the big Carolina cities because the crime isn't pervasive citywide...

Clt around 33.5% black, Durm around 36.3% black, compared to Memphis being like 62.4% black, but both cities are MUCH better cities for black people. You'll see a significantly higher degree of diversity than you ever find in Memphis. Both cities have a stronger black business climate, less black poverty, more black wealth, stronger black middle class, more educated Blacks, and we have representation in both cities on the civic level...

Having lived in both Clt and Memphis it's not even close, Charlotte is 10x the city Memphis is. I used to work in Durham and I've otherwise visited many, many times. It isn't my favorite city but my personal tastes may be different from yours. I'd still recommend it to any mobile black folk over Memphis...

Damn thanks breh. Your word means 10x more knowing you’ve stayed here and in Charlotte before.

I’m married with two young boys so I’m just looking for somewhere safer that has a lot for families to do. We don’t have amusement parks here, really only like two or three attractions for kids and a lot of those have turned hood. Basically want to be able to move without looking over my shoulder every damn second. I don’t want to be the only black person in the neighborhood but I want to be around like minded black people.

Big sports fans and concert goer so I like that they have two pro teams that have venues that will attract big shows. And like I said earlier the IT field is where my certifications are in so those two came up as good places.