Best Cities for Black People In...Part I: NORTH CAROLINA

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I like Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham. Def a state I need to look at? Imma read through this thread but one thing i'm worried about are these red southern states and their underdevelopment. Hows the state government/politics and cacs?

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
North Carolina is a great place to live for our people. My wife and I have plenty of times talked about moving to Charlotte or Raleigh. It is a fantasy for the most part, since we are settled here. Still, she does lament that we did not move there when we first got started.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
The real black Mecca or w/e that is is DMV.

Is there a middle class or upper class area in NC that is 75% black?
Nah man, there’s definitely places in NC where we can thrive and chill.. there’s also places where we shouldn’t think about showing up to. I’ve been to both types of places in the state. Still will never forget seeing a vote for me for sheriff sign in thf middle of a cotton field. :picard:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Nah man, there’s definitely places in NC where we can thrive and chill.. there’s also places where we shouldn’t think about showing up to. I’ve been to both types of places in the state. Still will never forget seeing a vote for me for sheriff sign in thf middle of a cotton field. :picard:
Same here. I really liked Charlotte in NC. I also remember passing by some small poor towns and was like whoa.

My drives from nyc to South Carolina

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Same here. I really liked Charlotte in NC. I also remember passing by some small poor towns and was like whoa.

My drives from nyc to South Carolina
I went to Clinton, NC to get video of Rae Carruth being released from jail. It looked like the early 1900’s. I didn’t stop ANYWHERE between Fayetteville and Clinton lol. My hotel was in Fayetteville

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
I live in VA now. Originally from SC. Moving to NC in a few years and probably will live out rest of my life there.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I like Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham. Def a state I need to look at? Imma read through this thread but one thing i'm worried about are these red southern states and their underdevelopment. Hows the state government/politics and cacs?

My experience is white people are white people anywhere. They aren't any different in NC from anywhere else, only the accents and food changes...

NC government is okay but I'm not the most versed in politics so someone else could describe that better...

Where do you currently live and what is important to you in deciding on a new place of residence?

North Carolina is a great place to live for our people. My wife and I have plenty of times talked about moving to Charlotte or Raleigh. It is a fantasy for the most part, since we are settled here. Still, she does lament that we did not move there when we first got started.

Where do you live and why didn't yall make the move?

It’s 2022 and y’all still believe in this best cities for blacks people nonsense.

Same shyt everywhere

The real black Mecca or w/e that is is DMV.

Is there a middle class or upper class area in NC that is 75% black?

It definitely isn't the same for blacks everywhere and you contradicted yourself by calling DMV the Black Mecca. If that's the case, which I don't necessarily disagree with, then DMV has distinguished itself from other places and isn't the same experience you can find "everywhere"...

There are plenty of middle class and up black hoods in NC. 75%, not positive but majority/over 50%, definitely. I'm sure there are at least some that hit 75%...

I went to Clinton, NC to get video of Rae Carruth being released from jail. It looked like the early 1900’s. I didn’t stop ANYWHERE between Fayetteville and Clinton lol. My hotel was in Fayetteville

All those little counties outside Fayetteville are racist as fukk, particularly Robeson and Sampson. Hoke and Harnett are somewhat better but I wouldn't trust any of these places if I'm a city lover...

Fayetteville has alot of whites but is less inviting to them and they know it, black live is big there. There is a snippet of South Fayetteville that is kinda racist, it isn't a no man's land for us but most of the poor whites in Fayetteville live I'm this specific geographic bubble of South Fayetteville and its really rednecky compared to the overall vibe of The Ville; and East Fayetteville is racist but it's also small as shyt compared to the rest of the city (only like 11,000 population in East Fay) and its so removed from the rest of town, most people in Fayetteville don't know the Eastside exists lol...

They ain't even got a Walmart in East Fayetteville...

Damn near 95% of Fayetteville's population is in the rest of the city, and that stretch in South Fayetteville is a small one. So other than that small bubble and East Fayetteville, white people are not all that comfortable in Fayetteville. Way too many black people and the general culture of the city is black as fukk...

fukk all them counties on the outskirts 🤣...

I live in VA now. Originally from SC. Moving to NC in a few years and probably will live out rest of my life there.

I'm doing VA soon. Where in Virginia do you live, and where in NC are you coming to?

I prefer VA to NC for sure and if I can go back at some point I will, but I'm in NC for the foreseeable future, probably at least until my daughters are all much older. I've accepted it...

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
My experience is white people are white people anywhere. They aren't any different in NC from anywhere else, only the accents and food changes...

NC government is okay but I'm not the most versed in politics so someone else could describe that better...

Where do you currently live and what is important to you in deciding on a new place of residence?

It definitely isn't the same for blacks everywhere and you contradicted yourself by calling DMV the Black Mecca. If that's the case, which I don't necessarily disagree with, then DMV has distinguished itself from other places and isn't the same experience you can find "everywhere"...

There are plenty of middle class and up black hoods in NC. 75%, not positive but majority/over 50%, definitely. I'm sure there are at least some that hit 75%...

All those little counties outside Fayetteville are racist as fukk, particularly Robeson and Sampson. Hoke and Harnett are somewhat better but I wouldn't trust any of these places if I'm a city lover...

Fayetteville has alot of whites but is less inviting to them and they know it, black live is big there. There is a snippet of South Fayetteville that is kinda racist, it isn't a no man's land for us but most of the poor whites in Fayetteville live I'm this specific geographic bubble of South Fayetteville and its really rednecky compared to the overall vibe of The Ville; and East Fayetteville is racist but it's also small as shyt compared to the rest of the city (only like 11,000 population in East Fay) and its so removed from the rest of town, most people in Fayetteville don't know the Eastside exists lol...

They ain't even got a Walmart in East Fayetteville...

Damn near 95% of Fayetteville's population is in the rest of the city, and that stretch in South Fayetteville is a small one. So other than that small bubble and East Fayetteville, white people are not all that comfortable in Fayetteville. Way too many black people and the general culture of the city is black as fukk...

fukk all them counties on the outskirts 🤣...

I'm doing VA soon. Where in Virginia do you live, and where in NC are you coming to?

I prefer VA to NC for sure and if I can go back at some point I will, but I'm in NC for the foreseeable future, probably at least until my daughters are all much older. I've accepted it...
Right now I’m in Culpeper. Middle of nowhere town. It’s basically 45 mins away from everything. I lived in Lynchburg at first. I’ve visited/seen all parts of the state. I want to move to Raleigh for Tech jobs. Wouldn’t mind Charlotte either or somewhere in between. The thing that attracted me to VA was the fact you have basically anything you want in the state. I think NC has that as well just more of our ppl making moves and doing well which is what I’m wanting more of. I will miss the diversity that you get from being near DC though.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Of the seven states I've lived in, NC is the strongest overall for black people, and possibly the best state for black people in the nation. We have so much representation in education and government and politics that you don't get everywhere...

For clarity, I've lived in Fayetteville, Charlotte, and now Raleigh. I've spent a pretty good amount of time in Rocky Mount, Greensboro, and Durham over the years, and I've also visited Greenville, Winston-Salem, Burlington, Concord, Wilmington, and Huntersville. I've never been to the other Top 20 cities I didn't name; granted, I live in Wake County so I've passed thru Cary and probably Apex too but I've never stopped and did anything in either one...

For my money, no NC city is really great for black folk below the 20% threshold. That isn't the same threshold in every state, it's just what I've seen here. Wilmington is terrible for black people, one of the more flagrantly racist histories in a nation that's pretty flagrantly racist, with little black economic mobility. Lot of black folk I've met from there are lining to leave Wilmington...

Pale faces love that city though...

Raleigh is right there with Charlotte as the best city for black people I've ever lived in. The city itself is well over a quarter black, steeped in black history with huge community pride and representation at any civic level you turn. It's one of the safest larger cities in the US, something pretty uncommon for a city over 25% black, with overall low poverty and violence rates. Black arts and creativity and mobility are supported here, and WCPSS is one of the strongest public school systems in the country among big cities (my daughters are here)...

There are plenty of things for black people to enjoy here, and my only real qualms with the black experience in Raleigh are that the city is more self-segregated than I'd like, with black residents overwhelmingly on the eastern half of the city (NE Raleigh, SE Raleigh, East Raleigh); the sports venues are not downtown; downtown itself is good but not great; it's not as urban a city as I'd prefer but that's an NC thing in general; and it isn't quite as diverse as I'd prefer...

I like everything else about living here, love some of those things...

Other cities I think are great for black people here are Charlotte; my only real knock on Charlotte is public schools and the overall education infrastructure aren't great. It has everything else going for it and most things in spades, it's an outstanding city to live black in and is safer than most big cities despite the local fearmongering...

Greensboro, Durham, Fayetteville, Winston, and Concord are also good cities to live in as black folk, to varying degree....

Rocky Mount is by far the blackest NC city in the Top 20 and is also one of the worst, easily. It's a decaying town, it's been in decline for a decade, almost no real entertainment there, super violent, terrible schools, wildly impoverished. I can't think of any redeeming qualities about The Rock to be honest, other than, if you're a person who would just be cool living in the blackest city you could find, it fits for NC...
I got stuck in Rocky Mount a couple months ago. Had to stop at a gas station, probably around midnight. Was low key shook because I just assumed I was probably in Klan area or something. But then I went to the Sheetz. Had no clue it was as Black as it was.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
We live in Virginia. We did not think about moving to NC until after we had already put 15 years into our mortgage. We are getting older, but are still alive. The fantasy may become a reality in 8 years after we pay this mortgage off.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Right now I’m in Culpeper. Middle of nowhere town. It’s basically 45 mins away from everything. I lived in Lynchburg at first. I’ve visited/seen all parts of the state. I want to move to Raleigh for Tech jobs. Wouldn’t mind Charlotte either or somewhere in between. The thing that attracted me to VA was the fact you have basically anything you want in the state. I think NC has that as well just more of our ppl making moves and doing well which is what I’m wanting more of. I will miss the diversity that you get from being near DC though.

Man one of my longtime homegirls (shes black), been friends with her for years, grew up in Culpeper. She lives in Boca and is 32, at this point she's been in South Florida for like half her life since she was a teenager, and hates her hometown 😆. She told me once she'd never go back, and I think besides some cousins and shyt all her family is in SoFla, I know her parents and siblings have all been in Florida for years...

I went to Culpeper with her well over a decade ago and I liked it...

What was Lynchburg like? I've never been, met a fine sister from there earlier this year. Well she said she bounced around growing up between Lynchburg, Richmond, and Emporia where she was originally from, but she went to LU. Did you like Lynchburg? Where are you originally from?

NC definitely has much more Black Success than VA, it's one of its strongest selling points to me. There are alot of black peoples and families with assets and money here. It's more diverse in VA fir sure though and I like VA weather better...

I’m on a flight to Fayetteville as I type. shyt about to take off. Up here for a week smh. I’m trying to turn my lil cousins up who gon be up there too. I need some spots. I been here before but not more than like days. shyt just look boring as fukk.

I'm in Fayetteville 3-4 times a month because my parents and youngest daughter are there. Try to line some shyt up this week and catch up with me, I live and work in Raleigh though so the math may not work anyway!

I don't know where the spots are anymore though 😂 , it's been 7+ years since I could say where all the fun spots were. I will say, Fayetteville has a strong ass dining culture, you can find some great places to eat while you're here...

I got stuck in Rocky Mount a couple months ago. Had to stop at a gas station, probably around midnight. Was low key shook because I just assumed I was probably in Klan area or something. But then I went to the Sheetz. Had no clue it was as Black as it was.

The Rock black as fukk 😆. And boring as fukk, and shytty as fukk. I'm never going there again if I don't have to...

We live in Virginia. We did not think about moving to NC until after we had already put 15 years into our mortgage. We are getting older, but are still alive. The fantasy may become a reality in 8 years after we pay this mortgage off.

Where at in VA? Personally I prefer VA to NC, but as I said in the opener different things appeal to different people! If yall are still interested once you pay the mortgage off definitely do it, nothing like living where you want to live!