Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I think its either the advance or the promise of stuff like guaranteed licensing for commercials/movies/break tags/ etc. Or it could be that these reviewers and publication sites are all in on payola and the majors set aside a portion of the budget to pay sites like Pitchfork for good reviews. OR the ability to get samples cleared. I've read that sample clearing has become ridiculously expensive since a lot of legacy acts have been selling their publshing for hundreds of millions of dollars and the companies want a return on back on those investments.

Thats really all I can think of. I can understand being young and buying your favorite artist's albums and seeing that Def Jam logo and wanting to be like your heroes but that sheen HAS to have worn off by the time these artists hit their 30's and have been in the game and seen how the business works.

From a larger example, Jay-Z has really shown the blueprint for how artists should move when it comes to label deals and from a smaller example, Nas has DEFINITELY shown how it should be done. Also have to give credit to artists like Curren$y, Boldy James, and OG's like Tech Nine who carved out their own lanes and made GREAT money as their own bosses.
It's money and favors... Benny said himself.

A major is going to give you a million dollar budget and put you on the major tour and have you in spots you didn't know existed and push your album to places you can't spell..... All while you sit on your ass and get driven place to place

An indy you CAN get that same shyt.. But that's your money from out your pocket and your legwork and your connections and your favors... And it's probably not gonna be on no level of Def Jam's.

We can say fukk numbers all we want... But when you can put platinum in front of your name or world tour or 1 billion streams..... Different type of doors and bags open up that you never thought possible

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It's money and favors... Benny said himself.

A major is going to give you a million dollar budget and put you on the major tour and have you in spots you didn't know existed and push your album to places you can't spell..... All while you sit on your ass and get driven place to place

An indy you CAN get that same shyt.. But that's your money from out your pocket and your legwork and your connections and your favors... And it's probably not gonna be on no level of Def Jam's.

We can say fukk numbers all we want... But when you can put platinum in front of your name or world tour or 1 billion streams..... Different type of doors and bags open up that you never thought possible

While I agree with the spirit of your point, I guess its making increasingly less sense when those artists with the billboards and the interviews, and the “push” that you undoubtedly get from being on a Major doesn’t translate to actual numbers when it comes to sales and streams. YG put out an album on Def Jam in 2022 that, one would think, comes with all of those bells and whistles, and it sold 13k first week. Glorilla put out an album on Interscope the same year that sold 28K. Freddie Gibbs major label debut sold 21K. Meanwhile Nas outsold all of them with Kings Disease 3 on his own label. And if you say “Nas is a legend, his fanbase will always support him” then ok, fair. But where’s the artist development that would help Freddie, Benny, Glo, YG, etc get to that level? Where’s the upward progression? Where’s the guarantee that these artists careers actually MEAN something?

I just don’t see what all the hoopla is about when these artists on majors are struggling to move units. Kendrick Lamar is who he is because TDE had a GREAT strategy for him and by the time he got to Interscope he was about as much of a sure thing as it got. Drake is who he is because even when labels didn’t believe in him and he and his writers were trying to get on, Lil Wayne saw the potential. Roc Nation did one of the smartest things with J.Cole that could have been done with a newer artist at the time, put him on tour for two years straight years so that he could build his fanbase up, now he’s got the most loyal fanbase in hip hop. It just seems like all of the actual success stories we’d had in the last decade have come in SPITE of major labels and not because of them. People scream “Plant!” For damn near everyone nowadays but besides perhaps Jack Harlow, the labels are doing a TERRIBLE job at “planting” artists to success

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
While I agree with the spirit of your point, I guess its making increasingly less sense when those artists with the billboards and the interviews, and the “push” that you undoubtedly get from being on a Major doesn’t translate to actual numbers when it comes to sales and streams. YG put out an album on Def Jam in 2022 that, one would think, comes with all of those bells and whistles, and it sold 13k first week. Glorilla put out an album on Interscope the same year that sold 28K. Freddie Gibbs major label debut sold 21K. Meanwhile Nas outsold all of them with Kings Disease 3 on his own label. And if you say “Nas is a legend, his fanbase will always support him” then ok, fair. But where’s the artist development that would help Freddie, Benny, Glo, YG, etc get to that level? Where’s the upward progression? Where’s the guarantee that these artists careers actually MEAN something?

I just don’t see what all the hoopla is about when these artists on majors are struggling to move units. Kendrick Lamar is who he is because TDE had a GREAT strategy for him and by the time he got to Interscope he was about as much of a sure thing as it got. Drake is who he is because even when labels didn’t believe in him and he and his writers were trying to get on, Lil Wayne saw the potential. Roc Nation did one of the smartest things with J.Cole that could have been done with a newer artist at the time, put him on tour for two years straight years so that he could build his fanbase up, now he’s got the most loyal fanbase in hip hop. It just seems like all of the actual success stories we’d had in the last decade have come in SPITE of major labels and not because of them. People scream “Plant!” For damn near everyone nowadays but besides perhaps Jack Harlow, the labels are doing a TERRIBLE job at “planting” artists to success
I agree with everything you said.. Indy is like getting a 6 figure job.. Major is like hitting the lottery.

For every 99 artists on a label that flop, you'll hear the story of one who sold 3 million and that'll be your ceiling. Forget you never been in a lane to sell 100k... You THINK you can sell 500k and the label has artists that sold 10 million, so hell yea you can do it too!!!!

It's the allure. Even now when majors are doing worse than ever, people still believe they'll be the ones to make it work though.. And if not, at least they'll get the views, likes, reach and fame aspects...

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Or people want to see him win and discuss when that idea ain't looking good. A fan just don't love the music.. I was happy as fukk when Nipsey started winning after seeing the industry fukk over his talent for a decade

I'd much rather see Griselda do numbers than another Drake album
You have no idea how his deal is structured an benefits him. Fans didn't give a fukk about Benny before he started popping and he was smart enough to get himself to that point.

He took a deal that was the best for him financially and the fans are still getting a quality album. nikkas are complaining about nothing

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You have no idea how his deal is structured an benefits him. Fans didn't give a fukk about Benny before he started popping and he was smart enough to get himself to that point.

He took a deal that was the best for him financially and the fans are still getting a quality album. nikkas are complaining about nothing
You don't know what we getting and neither do i...

But I do wish he sold crazy numbers cause that means more money for him, more money behind his projects and maybe more money for those sound like him instead of this bullshyt on the radio now... Sorry for not not caring about that

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You don't know what we getting and neither do i...

But I do wish he sold crazy numbers cause that means more money for him, more money behind his projects and maybe more money for those sound like him instead of this bullshyt on the radio now... Sorry for not not caring about that
You're getting an album entirely produced by 2 producers he's made his best music with. If the same tracklist came out without any mention about Def Jam nikkas would be saying there's a classic incoming

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You're getting an album entirely produced by 2 producers he's made his best music with. If the same tracklist came out without any mention about Def Jam nikkas would be saying there's a classic incoming
I wouldn't... I don't count chickens before they hatch..

That's nothing against Benny.. Been let down too often over decades to blindly say anybody is putting out something good till I hear it

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't... I don't count chickens before they hatch..

That's nothing against Benny.. Been let down too often over decades to blindly say anybody is putting out something good till I hear it
Benny been giving us fire drops for YEARS! Since My First Brick and Stabbed & Shot :whew:

savoutch

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Back cover

GEkNaxfWsAA1JU_