Beetlejuice Beetlejuice #1 Again #1 Again | The Domestic Box Office Thread | Sep. 13-15

Which Movie will Gross More this Weekend?

• Don't Worry Darling

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The Woman King

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
r2h7kmcgjk9b1.jpg

damn that budget

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
'Insidious' Kicks in the 'Door' and Leaves 'Indy' Laying on the Floor: Weekend Box Office Results (Jul. 7-9)

Patrick Wilson has taken the reigns of Insidious and directed The Red Door to a $32.6M, first place opening. That more than doubled up its $16 million production budget. :wow: It also marks the second biggest opening weekend in the Insidious franchise behind Chapter 2's $40.2M in 2013. It continues the trend of Insidious bouncing back after the dip with Chapter 3 which only opened up to $22.6M. The Last Key did$ 29.5 million on opening weekend in 2018. :ehh:

That's despite diminishing cinemascores. Chapter 3 had a B+. The Last Key went down a half a letter grade to a B-. The same is true of The Red Door which also dropped a half a letter grade and earned a C+. Can it outpace the last keys $67.7 million haul? This opening suggests that it could get up to 70 plus million when it's done. The svelte 107 minute runtime should help its cause.

These horror movies continue to do big numbers. I read a lot of Deadline box office articles and one thing that really gets annoying is the incessant pre-pandemic and post-pandemic talk. I mean, at this point, we're three years removed. Statute of limitations. But one thing that does ring true is that people will go to the theater to see a horror movie. I was thinking about this. I will go to the movies to see a blockbuster action movie and I will go to the movies to see a horror movie and that's it. Pre-pandemic I would have gone to see a comedy but not anymore. They're definitely right about that.

blocking-the-door-josh-lambert.gif

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny held on strong with $26.5 million and its second weekend only down 56.1%. The gross and the hold bested No Time to Die's $23.7 million second weekend which was a 56.9% drop off it's $55.2 million dollar opening. 007 went on to make $160.8 million in its run. Of course that movie had a gargantuan budget at 250 million, but definitely more time than what Indies rocking. But moreso than any other studio, Disney movies are just commercials for their other adventures like the parks. At least that's what I've been reading. when you look at it that way it makes sense. :manny:

indiana-jones-indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark.gif

Coming in third with Sound of Freedom which actually debuted on the 4th of July. This was its opening weekend and it did great with $18.2 million. All told, it's already made $40.2 million from only 2,852 theaters. There's a lot of talk about this movie where right wing conservatives are buying movie tickets and giving them out. I don't know. :yeshrug: It's got Jim Caviezel. He played a great bad guy iny favorite movie, Deja Vu. He was great in Escape Plan. Apparently he's good in this. The fans loved it. It's got an A+ cinemascore. It has an 8.7 on IMDb. It also has Bill Camp who is the new voice of forensic files and I think he is terrible on that show. There were two episodes where he sounded sinister and chilling. :francis: but that obviously hasn't stopped the fans from going to see this s***.

What is this movie about?

The incredible true story of a former government agent turned vigilante who embarks on a dangerous mission to rescue hundreds of children from sex traffickers.

:picard:

My father would love to watch this because he loves watching movies based on true stories. Whenever he's watching ome, he always tells me "Oh, I'm watching this movie. It's based on true events, based on true events" like he's Tony f****** two times.

goodfellas-two.gif

That's great. :unimpressed: Me? I couldn't care less. In fact, they're my least favorite movies, so I have no interest in this. :manny: Here's the trailer, tho.

Elemental continues to hold on strong with another $9.6 million to take fourth place. It's got a $109.1 million running total. It's up to $251.8 million worldwide. The latter outpaces Lightyear's $218.7 million global total. Buzz's $118.3 domestic total will fall very shortly.

But let's not hold this up as some sort of bastion of brilliance. Last week, it only outgrossed Across the Spider-Verse by $100,000, despite coming out 2 weeks later. The gap did grow by $1.6 million this week, but again, Spider-Man is in his sixth weekend. :mjpls:

shocked-ember-lumen.gif

Speaking of Spider-Man, Across the Spider-Verse brought in another $8 million. Its $357.6 million running total officially passes Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3's $357.5 million. Miles accomplished in 6 weeks what Peter Quill and the gang took 10 weeks to do. I sold with your whole movie sold in 6 weeks. :wow: I don't remember if I mentioned this last weekend but Across the Spider-Verse passed Spider-Man 3's $336.5 million total. Up next is Spider-Man 2's $373.5 million.

spiderman-miles.gif

Notables

Joy Ride, the Asian comedy, opened with $5.8M and a B- cinemascore. It's written and directed by Adele limb who wrote Crazy Rich Asians and Raya and the Last Dragon. It also has Naomi from Beef in it. I wonder if her white lover will get cut in half by a panic door in this one. :wow:

No Hard Feelings crossed the $40M mark with $40.4M.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts has crossed $400M worldwide with $403M.

The Flash has passed $100M with $105.1M.

The Top Ten

Rank
LW
Movie
Gross
%± LW
Theaters
Total Gross
Weeks
Distributor
1-Insidious: The Red Door$32,650,000-3,188$32,650,0001Screen Gems
21Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny$26,500,000-56.1%4,600$121,205,3292Disney
3-Sound of Freedom$18,219,879-2,852$40,207,2491Angel Studios
42Elemental$9,600,000-20.8%3,440$109,191,8804Disney
53Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse$8,000,000-33.4%3,023$357,648,3026Columbia
6-Joy Ride$5,850,000-2,820$5,850,0001Lionsgate
74No Hard Feelings$5,250,000-33.2%2,686$40,412,4923Sony
85Transformers: Rise of the Beasts$5,000,000-32%2,475$146,723,3125Paramount
97The Little Mermaid$3,500,000-35.1%2,080$289,038,9457Disney
106Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken$2,800,000-49.1%3,408$11,599,9252DreamWorks

Last edited:

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
Theres a few huge film franchies that IMO are outdated and dont resonate with film audiences anymore.

Superman
Star Trek
Indiana Jones

I personally think this movie was destined (no pun intended) to flop. Even if the stink of Disney wasnt on it.
Star Trek always worked better as tv than it does as a movie. I'm not ready to put cinematic Superman in a casket yet but if Gunn can't do it then you might be right.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
"Perhaps the answer lies in eliminating regular screens altogether and constructing more IMAX locations"

Dumbest shyt I ever read
Yeah, this would be a great way to lose money.

The only thing I agreed with him on is the fact that there’s too many big budget films being released too close to each other, but there are other factors at play as to why those tentpoles have flopped/underperformed. Marketing is one, studios being okay with mediocrity is another (along with insane budgets), and then WOM gets around quickly these days.

Audiences are much smarter now too. Easier to wait for whatever comes out on streaming now and also not have to worry about paying for overpriced concessions, lol.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Outside of a trailer before John Wick 4, I didn’t see a single ad for Joy Luck, but I heard it was hilarious.
It was. I saw an early free screening months ago. It deserves much better. But if the Jennifer Lawrence movie flopped I knew this would

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Flash and Indy bombing. :wow:

I wonder how much Covid changed the game to make people wanna wait for streaming. These movies nowadays are already out a month or 2 after release.
It's the money... It's always the money...

Yea, I'm going to see EVERYTHING with a $5 wednesday ticket... Maybe even $9.95 saturday night ticket... If I really want to splurge, an $11 IMAX ticket... Large popcorn AND slushie for $10 total.... Yea lets go... Hell, bring the wife.. Bring the kids.. Family of four for the new Pixar movie?? I'm not even spending $60

Do you know how fukking amazing a movie has to be for me to go see it nowadays?? Just to walk in the door, I'm damn near paying $20 right there. Another $10 for a large popcorn... 4 drinks at $8 dollars a piece.. Don't even talk about the $12 nachos or the $5 candy...

I took the kids to see Spiderman 2... $120 dollars at the damn theater and we shared drinks and popcorn... Yea.. You goddamn right we gonna wait for streaming or cracked firestick unless it's the movie of the year