Barbie Live Action Movie Thread for HUNKS and HOTTIES - 8 Oscar noms

Daps
Liked it a lot more than I expected to.

Ryan Gosling was great in it.

Ryan gosling was the best part. I wasn't buying the other barbie as "Barbies!" Or even the kens as Kens! except for Ryan Gosling. He provided the comedy, drama, laughter etc. His performance was top knotch. A true cut above the rest! It was Ken's movie lmao.

Daps
This speech has been around for decades in various forms and because of that I felt it was one of the weaker parts of the movie.

I think it was tongue in cheek. i like how the mom kept repeating the lines over and over to the barbies to awaken them from their trance like state. Its as if greta Gerwig knew the film was gonna be criticized for being woke, so she included wokeness in the most literal sense.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
F2UxeV3XcAA61Cg

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Again, some of y'all aren't reviewing the movie for what it is - but reviewing it for not being an entirely different movie :russ:

"4/10 because it didn't address the role of white women during slavery, white women towards other races of women, white women and how they benefitted from affirmative action, the rise of pawgs, Alexis Texas doing interracial with women but not men, Iggy Azalea's accent, Madonna sleeping with Pac and whether Monica Bellucci is really a white woman.

Waste of time :camby:"

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
It was cool. An old school style comedy movie. There are some problems with it though. It reminded me of the 90s comedy movies that were based on SNL sketches. Casting Will Ferrell and Kate McKinnon may have contributed to that feeling, but it was more due to the lack of character development and lazy story logic. The second half of the film was a bit of a mess, they couldn't tie all the threads into a satisfying climax.

As far as the politics, its not more feminist or 'woke' than you would expect for a mainstream toy IP movie. It would be bizarre if they didn't comment on sexism, and Barbie's problematic history. The criticisms of masculinity are accurate but toothless. There are so many biological and logistical reasons why the patriarchy evolved in human society, and the film has no perspective on that or even how things could or should change for the better. 'Smashing the patriarchy' is not realistic. Its a slogan on a T-shirt, a meme for 15 year olds.

The best part of the movie is Ryan Gosling. In the showing I saw, he got almost all the laughs. He completely steals the show, which is unfortunate if its actually intended to be a feminist film. Margot Robbie looks the part and gives exactly the performance you'd expect, which is fine. I almost wish they would have cast America Ferrera as Barbie, just to make better use of her. Will Ferrell is another role that falls flat.

Its flawed, but theres enough laughs in it to make it the best straight comedy film in a few years. Hopefully studios will see that good comedy films from talented people can make money.