Barbie Live Action Movie Thread for HUNKS and HOTTIES - 8 Oscar noms

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
i saw this lady on tiktok just now talking about how she took her 8 year old daughter and niece and 4 year old son and the girls didn't really enjoy it. so something to keep in mind, might be hit or miss for kids. one girl was talking about how beer was involved & someone slapped barbie's butt and the cursing. its not a cartoon so kids won't be as intrigued at least not younger kids. it depends on the child tho. if they more exposed to adult themes, then they might like it more. not sure if anyone else has had the same experience as her and her kids tho.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It wasn't as laugh out loud funny as I thought it would be, and a couple of jokes were kind of cringe (like the "Beach you off" bit in the beginning), but the writing in this movie was extremely clever and handled. There were parts where I was afraid they were going to write themselves into a corner, but they wrapped up each storyline perfectly.

I was worried at first about the Sasha character, because she goes so HAM with the feminist theory to Barbie when Barbie gets to the real world. I was afraid they were gonna cheapen everything she stood for by making her love Barbie in the end. But they played it smart--Sasha learned what Barbie represented (especially for the time period she was created in), and got closer to her mother without undermining her own values. And in fact, Gloria's speech to the Barbie's to snap them out of the patriarchy actually reinforced Sasha's original stance while giving her an appreciation for Barbie.

Because the movie sets up that Gosling Ken only destroyed Barbie Land because he was upset at how Barbie treated him, I thought they would somehow chicken out and have the two of them reconcile, but Gloria's speech killed all that, as it should have. Barbie didn't owe Ken shyt just because he liked her, and his actions were not justified just because she didn't reciprocate his feelings.

I also thought because Barbie Land went from entirely women-ruled to entirely men-ruled, they'd do some cheap-ass equality shyt at the end, but no. Women went back to running shyt, and maybe after some decades Ken's might get a Supreme Court justice. :mjlol:

There were some parts it did laugh out loud at. Barbie going to see a gynecologist at the end. :dead: It was played so serious I thought she was gonna get a job at Mattel or some shyt.

This movie is everything women wanted She-Hulk to be. If you don't like this movie, you just hate women. That's all there is to it. :yeshrug:

Realm-Breaker

Sometimes known as Were-Breaker/Cunning Linguist
Daps
Reppin
Realm far from here
i saw this lady on tiktok just now talking about how she took her 8 year old daughter and niece and 4 year old son and the girls didn't really enjoy it. so something to keep in mind, might be hit or miss for kids. one girl was talking about how beer was involved & someone slapped barbie's butt and the cursing. its not a cartoon so kids won't be as intrigued at least not younger kids. it depends on the child tho. if they more exposed to adult themes, then they might like it more. not sure if anyone else has had the same experience as her and her kids tho.
It's more for teenagers and up! 😹
there's a scene where Barbie mentions she doesn't have a Vagina! and how ken doesn't have a penis! 😹

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Ewwwwwww girls! :scust:

Greta Gerwig got y'all stressed

69b684a4d33b95a156fa153983f03b81.gif