Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series) [no open spoilers]

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I think they're in a weird place. The game inspires a player to want to do all the stuff because it's interesting and on a first play/second play, you're likely to hit most of the major exp points so by the time you get to the city, you're very leveled.
But they didn't want to design the game around that assumption, as... that'd be bad for the less intrepid adventurer, or someone running a roleplay that may have - say - kept them out of the Underdark entirely, for example.

It's possible to get to the city and still be level 6/7.
It's hell. But it's doable.
But you miss so much stuff worth seeing that most people aren't doing it, so the balance is tricky to manage. Especially since you get more exp finding new places than killing enemies.

That said, I ran on Tactician basically out the gate, and still ran into difficulty issues around the same point. The myrkel avatar fight went so fast for me that I didn't realize there was a rare achievement for knocking him off before he did his fukk-shyt until I exited out and saw how small the % of people with it was. So I've been running Tactician+ mods ever since. Currenly have all enemy health doubled plus some enemy stat buffs across the board.

I think one the one hand they will want to balance the difficulty for the console people who can't run mods that will tailor it more. On the other hand, I suspect that's what added Custom for, and also I wonder if the console folk will have this be such a problem for them.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I think they're in a weird place. The game inspires a player to want to do all the stuff because it's interesting and on a first play/second play, you're likely to hit most of the major exp points so by the time you get to the city, you're very leveled.
But they didn't want to design the game around that assumption, as... that'd be bad for the less intrepid adventurer, or someone running a roleplay that may have - say - kept them out of the Underdark entirely, for example.

It's possible to get to the city and still be level 6/7.
It's hell. But it's doable.
But you miss so much stuff worth seeing that most people aren't doing it, so the balance is tricky to manage. Especially since you get more exp finding new places than killing enemies.

That said, I ran on Tactician basically out the gate, and still ran into difficulty issues around the same point. The myrkel avatar fight went so fast for me that I didn't realize there was a rare achievement for knocking him off before he did his fukk-shyt until I exited out and saw how small the % of people with it was. So I've been running Tactician+ mods ever since. Currenly have all enemy health doubled plus some enemy stat buffs across the board.

I think one the one hand they will want to balance the difficulty for the console people who can't run mods that will tailor it more. On the other hand, I suspect that's what added Custom for, and also I wonder if the console folk will have this be such a problem for them.
Time to upload some mods and do a tactician playthrough do you have the artificer or mystic class? I’m thinking of adding one or both lol. Have you ever tried a solo run

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Time to upload some mods and do a tactician playthrough do you have the artificer or mystic class? I’m thinking of adding one or both lol. Have you ever tried a solo run
Have both. Mystic > Artificer, but Magus might be better than all of them in terms of an INT class that can frontline. But I'm only partway through my run with it right now.
Did a solo run out of necessity. Was a point in one of my plays where I realized the whole party was still stood back in Last Light while my ranger was out clearing the whole zone by themselves. Tried to bring the party in to help and them being there actually made the combat less clean. A Gloomstalker with the mods I have and the adjustments to make Dread Ambusher work the way it should in 5E... it's light work.
At some point I'm going to do a run solely of classes I outright refuse to use: cleric, druid, wizard, bard.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I got almost to the point of no return in this game and stopped playing because the end of the game was too glitchy at launch

Went back last night, booted it up, put the mod on to be able to level past 12 (i really dislike the level cap especially in a RPG like this), took care of some loose ends and now I can probably beat this in a hour or 2 whenever I feel like it :ehh:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm gonna be vague to avoid spoilers but you can hit the level cap damn near as soon as you enter Act 3. That alone makes the game far easier than it should be.

They need to rework the EXP curve same as they did with "D:OS".

Fred.

Yea I was level 12 shortly after I got to Baldurs gate. I was just shocked because I struggled so much in the beginning. I felt like I should have bumped it up to tactician as soon as I hit the cap
Eh..

I think that if you go in not knowing where the best gear is or the best builds and play the game "blind" you really aren't comfortable in this game on balanced until probably after the house of hope because of how much good gear is in there that you have to be blind to miss.

Other than that, I spent almost this entire game basically struggling and almost each fight felt like I was surviving off the skin of my teeth especially early in act 2. By the time I was comfortably handling fights at the middle/end of act 3 I wanted to be able to level past 12 just as a reward for sticking to my guns and putting that much effort and time into the game. I feel like in RPGs you should be overpowered at the end, not "just enough"

Rayzah

Daps
Have both. Mystic > Artificer, but Magus might be better than all of them in terms of an INT class that can frontline. But I'm only partway through my run with it right now.
Did a solo run out of necessity. Was a point in one of my plays where I realized the whole party was still stood back in Last Light while my ranger was out clearing the whole zone by themselves. Tried to bring the party in to help and them being there actually made the combat less clean. A Gloomstalker with the mods I have and the adjustments to make Dread Ambusher work the way it should in 5E... it's light work.
At some point I'm going to do a run solely of classes I outright refuse to use: cleric, druid, wizard, bard.
I’ve left some people on more than one occasion lol. It be a long time before I realize they are missing.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Eh..

I think that if you go in not knowing where the best gear is or the best builds and play the game "blind" you really aren't comfortable in this game on balanced until probably after the house of hope because of how much good gear is in there that you have to be blind to miss.

Other than that, I spent almost this entire game basically struggling and almost each fight felt like I was surviving off the skin of my teeth especially early in act 2. By the time I was comfortably handling fights at the middle/end of act 3 I wanted to be able to level past 12 just as a reward for sticking to my guns and putting that much effort and time into the game. I feel like in RPGs you should be overpowered at the end, not "just enough"

I'm not sure what you mean.

I did play this blind, when it was officially released. No early access. Never played "Dungeons & Dragons". I played both versions of "D:OS" and the sequel, but this rule set is different so I can't even say that gave me a leg up. So I dunno.

Fred.

Rayzah

Daps
Eh..

House of Hope boss fight was real, probably the best fight of the game.

And I did struggle up until I got to act 3. I was basically passing up armor and weapons because the stuff I had was so good. I only put on the stuff I got out of the sorceries sundries because I was a mage.

But I think I was just shocked the final boss wasn’t a cheating a$$hole like in most games.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm not sure what you mean.

I did play this blind, when it was officially released. No early access. Never played "Dungeons & Dragons". I played both versions of "D:OS" and the sequel, but this rule set is different so I can't even say that gave me a leg up. So I dunno.

Fred.

I'm just responding to the idea that by the time you hit level 12 the game is pretty much too easy. I don't think most players will feel that way especially if they don't know the best strategies for how to build their character. Level 12 for some people may still be a struggle.

House of Hope boss fight was real, probably the best fight of the game.

And I did struggle up until I got to act 3. I was basically passing up armor and weapons because the stuff I had was so good. I only put on the stuff I got out of the sorceries sundries because I was a mage.

But I think I was just shocked the final boss wasn’t a cheating a$$hole like in most games.

Makes sense. My main character was a monk and he was one of the weaker characters in my party until maybe level 10 or so and now is probably my best character overall. So class choices, build choices, etc your mileage may vary for sure.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great...now BG3 is on Holiday Sale in PSN. SMFH. I was waiting for Black Friday but BG3 was not on Black Friday sale so I paid the full price however it was worth it but still mad. Should have waited. :martin: