Baby Driver (Official Thread)

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
All of his movies are original in the same sense Tarantino's movies are. He pays homage, satires, parodies, etc his infleunces in all of his movies, the difference is Edgar Wright's movies tend to lean more heavily on the comedic side.
This is a heist movie about a driver, his girlfriend and the cast if criminals he's in league with but is a slightly better person than. It's been done, no matter how satirical or a parody it is.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the story is generic as fukk - except for the main character's tick, which is a pretty cool and pretty original idea if you ask me. the movie itself will be very original in the way he shoots/edits it, but if you break down the story it's a run of the mill band of bank robbers with a kid driver who can't do shyt without music playing.

and as always, i contend that almost no one leaves a movie theater talking about how great the story was. story is king, but average joe would rather talk about "that awesome scene" or "this great joke" or "how cool that character was." they're never like, "man, i love the way the plot built to the big climactic meetup, and blah blah." ... unless there's a huge twist

Conz

Superstar
Daps
btw, i always wanted to write a script where every single line of dialogue is recognizable from a famous song. seemed impossible, borderline stupid, and would be a massive undertaking to weave a story around that, but after this i feel like Edgar Wright would probably be able to write that.

I'd be curious to find out if he wrote this script with all the exact songs and movements in mind, or if a bunch changed over time.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I saw it today, and it is very much an Edgar Wright movie, and I mean that both positive and negative. What he does on a technical level is very impressive with the many (car) chase scenes set to music and timed to the cues in the songs including almost all sound effects, but it's not something that has never been done before. Wright just does it for the entire movie and with more effort, but even though @Conz will apparently call me a hater for it, Wright's efforts aren't enough to prevent it from feeling like a gimmick after a while, especially after two characters discuss their ultimate "lucky song", and that moment you already know that song is going to be used for the big climax. That's not to say the movie isn't enjoyable, because it certainly is, but I also found myself questioning during the movie if I could think of a reason to revisit this movie again, and frankly I found very little reason.

I think part of the problem there is that Wright can't really decide whether this is a comedy, a romance, a (visual) musical or a crime story and he never manages to gel all the different genres properly. Some characters change hearts but it doesn't feel earned, some characters die but the impact is never felt and all that is left is a movie that just confirms something we already know, that Wright is a director who can stuff his movie full of incredible details that amount to absolutely nothing if the movie lacks a heart. That's where The World's End failed the most following Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz and Wright might need to take a step back and focus on making his stories interesting rather than his visuals.

Frankly, I don't even know what to rate this movie. It's incredibly well-made and as said, certainly enjoyable as long as it lasts, but further than that my enjoyment didn't last. As such I honestly understand anyone who would rate it anywhere between a 6 and a 9 out of 10 because the movie is all that in one and it will come down to your personal preference.

Side-note: I went into this movie completely blind as I avoided all synopses and trailers and posters and outside of Jamie Foxx had no idea who starred in it or what it was about, although I did figure this was not going to be 90s-style comedy about a baby who accidentally ends up in the getaway car of a pair of bumbling criminals. Although I do think that would've made a very enjoyable movie too and I hope some day someone will manage to make that Baby Driver as well.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
"hater" is not a word in my vocabulary. as someone who is often called one and loves to passionately express opinion, i think it's a ridiculous word.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
There's two different cuts of this trailer that I've seen. One makes it look like some edgy action/thriller for the youths, and then another treats it like an action/comedy. It doesn't look good either way.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Wednesday release :leon:

5 more days brehs. I'll prolly see it that thurs or fri

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Oddest review I ever read . "Between a 6 and a 9" :logan:

I don't rate it between a 6 and a 9. I said I understand everyone who would rate it between a 6 and a 9, lol. It's a movie that some people will absolutely love, but I also understand people who are just fine with it. I ended up giving it a 7 but it might as well have been an 8 too because it's a movie that works on a specific level, and perhaps not so much outside of that. So the question is how much is it on your level too.